MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   hopeful soon to be owner (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/104823-hopeful-soon-to-be-owner.html)

98intrigue 01-03-2005 10:53 AM

hopeful soon to be owner

hey guys and girls. i just registered about a week ago and have been reading up on these boards like crazy. im planning on getting a 350z this week. ive found a few used ones with 15k-30k miles on them....all 2003's...all $23,000 to $26,000. my mom has mentioned with the rebates or low apr financing, it might be a better buy to get a new 350z.

my question is, what should i look out for in buying the used '03s? i know there is the tire feathering problem. what else?

TurK 01-03-2005 12:02 PM

Re: hopeful soon to be owner

Originally posted by 98intrigue
hey guys and girls. i just registered about a week ago and have been reading up on these boards like crazy. im planning on getting a 350z this week. ive found a few used ones with 15k-30k miles on them....all 2003's...all $23,000 to $26,000. my mom has mentioned with the rebates or low apr financing, it might be a better buy to get a new 350z.

my question is, what should i look out for in buying the used '03s? i know there is the tire feathering problem. what else?

This is from Everything350z.com... ther is more sites out ther then can always help you.

Tire Feathering - Due to the fact theres too much camber (wheels tilted slightly in at the top) causes the inside of the tires to wear faster than the rest of it. The type of wearing isn't your typical wear either, it starts to cause cupping which in turn causes a lot of roadnoise at highway speeds. Nissan has not yet released a true TSB for this, only pretty much suggest getting an Alignment to check Toe-In. Sounds as if they're also trying to avoid a recall for every Z. But to those who have considerable road noise and need new tires. I've heard Nissan replacing those tires after calling NNA.

Window Grease - On both the Driverside and Passengerside Windows, when put down then back up the felt grease catchers leave a grease streak on the inside of the window. Nissan has released a TSB about this and need to order parts. If your experiencing this, call your dealership tell them you need the TSB fix for window grease. The install itself for the fix takes anywhere between an hour to 2. Depending on your shop.

Rattling Sounds - In the rear and in the front of the car, theres been reports of rattling. Nissan has also released a TSB for this. I've only experienced the rear rattle which was simply a clip that needed to be tightened. These are minor nuisances and are easy to fix.

Pulling - Nissan has released another TSB which states if the vehicle pulls, while traveling at 60mph on highway type surfaces and all 4 wheels cross into the other lane with no driver input for 7 seconds. They will replace a rod to help solve this. Sounds like a semi-fix for the Tirefeathering also.

Transmission - Theres also been reports of Transmissions needing to be replaced. Lots of vibration while driving...I've heard of it even popping out of gear while hitting a bump, and grinding into 2nd-3rd gear. Some have gotten them replaced already. I don't think this problem is very wide spread thru all the Z's like the tirefeathering but and I've only had grinding into 3rd gear ONCE with no problem since (happened about 2k miles...added another 2k since). Most dealerships are replacing them...but another problem to be aware of while your warranty still covers them

FLZ 01-04-2005 01:50 PM

Just a good luck to you....and we'll see you on the boards soon....Dave

ANXIOUZ 01-04-2005 03:01 PM

The biggest thing is the tire feathering and the transmission. Check the tires and take special note of the smoothness of the tranmission.

All of the noises, creaks, window grease, etc., you can get a dealer to fix for free since Nissan released the TSB's.

Kuzmeista 01-04-2005 03:19 PM

tsb's mean nothing... you need a recall for a definite fix... a tsb helps the dealership fix a known problem but doesnt guarantee it done for free...