Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Back wheels hopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
kewlii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back wheels hopping

I have a 2005 Base 6MT, and whenever I launch my car at about 2k RPM, the back ends starts hopping like a kangaroo. The tires are not being burned, or making any noise. They just simply hopping up and down. Needless to say, i basicly get killed everytime I try to race with someone. any idea how to fix this problem guys?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
ZpikeZ

You can start by not dropping the clutch. Feather it @ 2500 rpm and see if you get a different result.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
FairladyZ

Nismo LSD
Old 01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
all_bark

NEW SPRINGS.

simplest solution. the nissan springs suck which cause that wheel hop as well as porpoising on bumpy roads. Nismo springs cure the wheel hop, the nismo suspension (as wheel as several others) will greatly reduce the porpoising.

good luck
Old 01-24-2005, 03:46 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive never thought about how changing the springs would affect the wheel hop, but now that you mention it, wouldn't stiffer spring rates (specifically in the rear) actually make the wheel hop worse since the stiffer rates would allow less transfer of weight to the rear when you launch?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to the Eibach pro-kit springs, which are a progressive rate spring. Using a non-linear rate spingWhile I don't do burnouts very often, the "freeway bounce" is gone. I'll second the recommendation that if you're losing traction enough to start the back wheels bouncing, you're applying too much gas.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

20 years ago you would correct this with traction or ladder bars. They essentially kept the rear axle from twisting, and very effectively prevented axle hop.

Because they reduce ground clearance, they are used more on trucks than cars. I did find these for Honda's http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Civic/MODATRB/

This explains axle hop http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/tractionbars.htm
Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had anything other than a base model I'd be recommending an engine dampener.

But you my friend need a LSD. If you just bought the car, maybe they will let you exchange it for an enthusiast model? If you negotiate right, it might not be that much more than the cost of buying and installing an aftermarket unit and you get the added benefits of homelink, HID lights, etc.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:28 PM
all_bark

even Z's with LSD get wheel hop.

guys, do a search. springs help the hop dramatically.

it did for me!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:03 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by all_bark
even Z's with LSD get wheel hop.

guys, do a search. springs help the hop dramatically.

it did for me!
I was reading between the lines. He needs more traction to win the race. An LSD will increase traction in both a straight line and in corners. You can launch without wheel hop with practice. Seems like the smarter play to me for all around fun.

I know you are right on with the springs...I just wouldn't want to live with a drag race suspension everyday. You did make me think about a compromise though...adjustable shocks. You could soften up the fronts and remove the sway bar to get some better weight transfer at the strip.

Curious...do you have a base model? Sounds like you drag a lot. Have you found that you get better times launching at higher rpm with some wheel spin or launching lower with no wheel spin, letting the torque pull you out of the hole?

The later seems faster to me...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
drift350

Originally posted by hndumafia
ive never thought about how changing the springs would affect the wheel hop, but now that you mention it, wouldn't stiffer spring rates (specifically in the rear) actually make the wheel hop worse since the stiffer rates would allow less transfer of weight to the rear when you launch?

it's not the whole back of the car hopping... it's only the rear axle.

by changing the spring rates, you end up putting more weight onto the rear wheels, reducing the chance of wheel hop purely by increasing pressure and traction.

as for rearward weight transfer, that would apply only after the springs are fully compressed and basically reach a point of infinite pring rate... the wheels would stop hopping, but a lot of your acceleration will have been dampened by the rear springs, making you slower off the line.