Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Questions about stock sub location...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
nyteshade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about stock sub location...

So I found out, as many of you already know, that there is a stock sub location behind my driver seat. For your knowledge I have I a 2005 350Z base model. The subwoofer plate is there and I am curious about several things:

1. Which high end subs can I fit in there? I currently have a S12L5 Kicker solobaric designed in a custom enclosure for my last Z car (96 300ZX) that was stolen, luckily without the stereo equipment. I was using, and still have, a JL Audio 500.1 amp to use for whichever sub I decide upon. I was thinking about a 10w6v2 or a similar class speaker. Will this fit? Once again what fits and what should I use?

2. How much air space is actually there? I have heard estimates from .6 to .8. After having built a .8 cubic inch sub box for my S12L5 and looking inside the compartment, there "seems" to be more than that space wise. Looks could however be deceiving.

3. Finally one thing that troubles me is that fact that the sub plate that the speaker bolts into has a couple of holes on the left side? Is this enclosure air tight when using bose panel with the 10" speaker grill? What concerns are there about using the stock location as a sealed box?

4. On the 90-96 300ZXs the BOSE stereos were a pain in the *** due to the separate amps. Since I am not using a BOSE stereo will I have that problem this time around? Or am I lucky enough to have the deck truly powering the stock speakers?

5. Finally on the note of the stock non-BOSE speakers, what brand are they? Are the door speakers a cheap component set (i.e. midbass driver and separate tweeter in the upper portion of the door) or are the tweeter locations empty. I've tried to listen to them but I am still unsure. I think there are real tweeters there.

Any information about this stuff would be great. Finally, without getting too custom, where would you all recommend placing the 500.1 and in the future the 300.4 that I plan to buy? I want to drill and cut as little as is humanly possible on my brand new car. (At least for now...)

Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2005, 06:32 PM
nyteshade

Oh btw, my custom 300ZX sub box is for sale (speaker included) for any of you who own a 90-96 300ZX. The box is carpeted in black and looks great while using little space and leaving enough room in the back to tie down the t-tops. It also hits really hard. I normally use two 12s as I have always done in my 240, 260 and 280 Zs. The 300ZX and potentially this 350 are my first Zs with single subs. The S12L5 didn't disappoint.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't answer 1, 2, and 3 because i don't know the answer. However i can answer the last two. Since you have the non bose stereo it is powered by the factory deck. The door and rear panel speakers are made by clarion and they are cheap pieces of ****, you'll see what i mean when you pull them out. As for the tweeters, they are there .
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 PM
nyteshade

Originally posted by EdgeOfSanity
i can't answer 1, 2, and 3 because i don't know the answer. However i can answer the last two. Since you have the non bose stereo it is powered by the factory deck. The door and rear panel speakers are made by clarion and they are cheap pieces of ****, you'll see what i mean when you pull them out. As for the tweeters, they are there .
Thanks. I figured as much. I used to do car audio installation professionally so even though I have asked the questions above I have reservations (since this is my car and it's brand new) about finding some of this stuff out. I've only had the car now for about 10 days so I am sure you can understand my aprehension.

Turning up the volume I can pretty much tell the speakers only sound as good as they do because they're 10 days old I figured they were bottom of the line crap. Still looking for answers to 1, 2 and 3.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nyteshade
Thanks. I figured as much. I used to do car audio installation professionally so even though I have asked the questions above I have reservations (since this is my car and it's brand new) about finding some of this stuff out. I've only had the car now for about 10 days so I am sure you can understand my aprehension.

Turning up the volume I can pretty much tell the speakers only sound as good as they do because they're 10 days old I figured they were bottom of the line crap. Still looking for answers to 1, 2 and 3.
you may want to check out the audio forum here. You'll get better answers and you'll probably get them faster.