Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:03 PM
SB Track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent like 30 minutes reading this whole thread. I'm pissed scared to ever speed now... Which is f*cken sad because the whole reason I got the car was for speed...
Old 03-27-2005, 06:17 PM
bstfugtfomrfn

My first step is to send it in on the 29th day as not guilty and when I get the court date call the lawyer.
Heh, I've heard of that type of stuff working pretty often.

Last time I got pinched was north of WPB on i-95. . . by a fuggin AIRPLANE.... I saw the troopers way before they could see me, slowed down, got pulled over and asked the guy how the hell he got a accurate independant verification of my speed in the pile of cars I was next to, 3 lanes over, 250 yards away?

He pointed up and a damn piper turbo prob with FHP written on the bottom was cutting a turn heading towards north bound.

<shrug>

Good luck bro.
~AJ
Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah so far the few people I've told this to (excluding people on the forum) all say it's doubtfull i'll get jail time - that's the main thing I don't want. I don't mind the fine, probation, or community service, or driving courses, but i just don't want to kill off my weekends for the next 15 weeks
Old 03-27-2005, 06:49 PM
bstfugtfomrfn

yeah... a friend of a friend of mine lives in Zona... whats the deal with those "Tent City" county barracks jail type things they got going on? My understanding is that the friend of a friend got a DUI and has to live there for a month. Each day, he goes to work, and has to come home to that place. Weekends, same thing... not to mention having to install the ignition lock.

lol, guess thats motivation for putting in some OT.

~AJ
Old 03-27-2005, 07:02 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by bstfugtfomrfn
Heh, I've heard of that type of stuff working pretty often.

Last time I got pinched was north of WPB on i-95. . . by a fuggin AIRPLANE.... I saw the troopers way before they could see me, slowed down, got pulled over and asked the guy how the hell he got a accurate independant verification of my speed in the pile of cars I was next to, 3 lanes over, 250 yards away?

He pointed up and a damn piper turbo prob with FHP written on the bottom was cutting a turn heading towards north bound.

<shrug>

Good luck bro.
~AJ
Yeah you gotta love the plane, what a cost effective way of getting tickets, morons.

I have been had by the plane also, laser, radar, pacing and probably guessing. I am convinced it is the sports car, because I always used to drive fast just in family cars and never got these many tickets. But very happy I don't live in AZ from the sound of things.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I Hate JDM

Originally Posted by 350zluvr
This is information that I had received from a lawyer in Texas.

What do you mean by moving radar and an estimate?

Out of curiosity, were did you get your information from?
My information came from my knowledge of the law, past speeding tickets, and state and local penal codes.

Moving radar is a radar unit, and an estimate is where a cop can eyeball you, like if 13 other cars are all driving the same pace, and you blast by them like they are standing still, the cop can estimate the speed.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
350zluvr

Originally Posted by I Hate JDM
My information came from my knowledge of the law, past speeding tickets, and state and local penal codes.

Moving radar is a radar unit, and an estimate is where a cop can eyeball you, like if 13 other cars are all driving the same pace, and you blast by them like they are standing still, the cop can estimate the speed.
What you said is correct. People in Texas can receive speeding tickets for all of the abovementioned instances and equipment. However, these practices are not legal, and if you wanted to take your case to court, the law would be on your side. I am not saying that you would win, but the law will be on your side.

Besides, if a police officer gives estimates you doing 59 in a 40, he most likely is giving you a break and taking the case to court then might not be the smartest solution.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
JonathanG35

To make you feel better, I got snagged by 5, yes FIVE, cops. GOt a lawyer, $400, agreed to take drivers ed $75, paid court costs, $65, and got off with nothing.

A lawyer buys you respect in court, literally. It shows that you take your infraction seriously.

Many times the cop knows the lawyer or the lawyer knows the judge and something can be "worked out".

Before i went in front of the judge my lawyer had already brokered the deal with the police. When the judge called my case, the lawyer stood up and said " Judge my client has reached an agreement with the arresting officers to take drivers class, in return, the officers are willing to drop the charges." The judge asked the officers if this was correct, they said yes and the judge said i had 3 months to take the appropriate course and all charges would be dropped.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Phaneom

When I was younger (16 years old) I got pulled over by three cruisers at 2am in the morning. They pulled me out of the car....searched me and the car. Then cuffed me and threw me in the back and arrested me. I got charged with speeding 35km over, no insurance slip in the car (was a friends car), driving with a improper license (only have my learner permit) noise pollution (spun the tires)....and to top it all off; when he pulled my wallet out from my pocket he found my fake ID. Got charged with altering a government document. Got a lawyer and fought the charges. Little did I know at the time, but where I live, an officer is not allowed to search a vehicle or a person unless they have a warrant or put you under arrest. They did not read me my rights until I was put into the officer's cruiser. THEREFORE, all charges drop

Not sure if that would apply where you live....But it might be worth a try.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
JonathanG35

One other thing i forgot to mention. You already have a good start but make sure you write down everything that happened and keep a notepad so if you remember any details later you can write those down. By the time you go to court this stuff will be hard to remember and you need to be able to have a clear account of your experience.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm well he did read me my rights about 5-10 minutes after he cuffed me while I was in one of the police cars. I think it was after I was moved from his car to to the other car with the cage. He did not actually take me to jail though. I have no proof other than my word against theirs that they didn't read me my rights until later - and that might not matter so much anyway

He asked if he could search me and I said yes.

He asked if he could search my car and I said yes

right after he did read me my rights, he asked if i was willing to give up my rights about something in order to cooperate and answer his questions. I agreed, though I should have had him clarify what he meant - he seemed really impatient with me and I didn't want to **** him off cause I still wasn't sure if he was taking me to jail or not.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-28-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
350Zum

I must drive too slow . . . .
Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I am not a lawyer but never agree to any searches, if they threaten to detain you while they get a warrant then wait, if they want it that bad then let them get it. These are your rights they are messing with. Maybe I am paranoid but what if they have an issue and plant something, talk about your word against theirs. If you have a friend that is a lawyer carry his number with you or a family member than can get a hold of one.

Any lawyer input?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:41 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i assumed the cop would say he has probable cause because he thought i was trying to get away from him which someone would of course only do if they had a reason to avoid cops - AKA guilty of a crime.

So i agreed. The cop seemed really irritated and pissed that I was interfering with his night. Saying anything other than yes I really felt like would push him over the line to throw me in jail.

Also, when all was said and done, he seemed kinda let down that I wasn't carrying drugs/weapons or driving a stolen car. I think he was really hoping I was an easy catch to make him look good to his superiors...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 PM
zYouLater

Perhaps you were trying to get away from the unmarked police car out of fear! The fear that there was someone unknown to you tailigating you, this person also flashed his lights at you. Out of fear for your personal safty, you decided to accelerate and get away from a possible serious act of road rage.

Once you were aware that this vehicle was a police unit, you of course slowed down, pulled over and co-operated with the officers directions.

Is this at all a possible? Good Luck! and seek legal advice.

Al P.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i let them search my car because I knew I had nothing to hide. Looking back in hindsight - yeah might be scary to think if they were crooked cops and planted something.

I figured if I refused them to search my car, they'd for sure take me to jail while they got a warrent and K9 to search my car. Then after they did and went thru all the trouble and it was basically announced to the police station I was brought in for criminal speeding, then I'd HAVE to spend the night in jail until someone bailed me out because the cop wouldn't be able to keep me from going to jail for the night - which I think is the standard procedure for criminal speeding.

I had stuff to do that night - which ended up not doing anyway cause I spent the rest of the night reading up on criminal speeding and talking with my fiance

some interesting videos here:
http://www.flexyourrights.com/busted/clips.html
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
fahrenheit350

kind of related to the topic.... will i get in trouble for having these knives in the car?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

You know the cops are pizzed when they keep your license and play (?) dumb when you ask for it back.

RE: Knife question: If the cops decides (its up to him) it is a weapon and not a tool, yes you can get in trouble. It is their call.

Last edited by JCat; 03-28-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Maybe I am paranoid but I just don't trust the bastards. We have rights for reason and they do not have the authority to trample them just the intimidation.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i did have a small swiss army sorta keychain knife on my keys that i told the officer about before he patted me down.

obviously he didn't consider it a weapon.

I'm of the opinion that anything can be a weapon. My soon to be sister in law was arrested because she accidently brought one of those knifes used to cut wedding cakes with on her carryon bag. Those aren't even sharp are they? Instead of just taking it away, they had to arrest her.

A person's bare hands can be a weapon. The ground can be used as a weapon if you bash someone's face in it. I'll never understand the gray area where people make the judgement on what is and isn't a weapon.

Quick Reply: had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops