Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Will I regret Enthusiast over Performance??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:07 PM
superman78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I regret Enthusiast over Performance??

I am just about to put a deposit down on an enthusiast model, but I wonder if I would regret not getting the performance?? I have not seen the 17's, so don't know how they look. Secondly, how will 17's effect the handling over the 18's? The other thing that is bothering me is the VDC. Is this something I will even like? If I had it, I may just always have it off anyway...

I could have the enthusiast model by the 3rd of next month, no telling when a performance model will come in.. What do you guys think??
Old 11-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Ricky
Banned

Honesltly if you are in no rush for the car, and money isn't an issue, the performance is of course better.. I have the enth. It's GREAT.. VDC would be nice, but a 2 dollar pressure gauge will do the same. The 18"s are nicer, not sure how much they affect handling, not much I suppose, but the 17s are GORGEOUS.. I have them on my enth, and once you see them, you instantly love them. But if you have an extra 2000 and don't mind waiting longer, get the performance, but if you'd rater put 2,000 to something more important than VDC, 245 rear tires, 18" rims, (because thats all you get more), then stick with the Enthusiast.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:17 PM
rep15

In answer to your exact question:

No, you will not regret getting the enthusiast over the performance. But you must realize you will not regret getting the performance over the enthusiast. Once you have it I doubt you will spend much time worrying about the other model. VDC and 18" wheels or no VDC and 17" wheels it is that it is a 350 Z that is important. Go with your choice at the monent and never look back.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:30 PM
importriders

For me it was all about the rims and VDC. I was originally going to get an Ethusiast but I was not liking the stock 17" rims. They looked really small on the car compared to the 18" rims. If you never see a Z with 18's this will not be a problem. Case in point, I thought the 17" rims were big enough...till I saw the 18"s.

But if you are going to buy aftermarket rims definitely get the Enthusiast.

Bottom line, see both sets of rims and then decide. This is my opinions anyways. Some people like the 17's better than the 18's. I also like the option of having VDC, this is just a bonus feature for me.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:16 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Ricky
VDC would be nice, but a 2 dollar pressure gauge will do the same.
Say what?

Non sequitur.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Z Mack

I wondered that same thing myself, but I got the enthusiast and I couldn't be happier. It's easily the best value of all of the models. If I could have afforded the Track, of course I would have gotten it, but the enthusiast just made more sense.

I don't think I'll ever have need for the VDC and I wasn't interested in the nav system.

And personally, I think the 17's look great. I prefer them over the 18's (if not necessarily over the Rays).
Old 11-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Zoro

Default consider this

the 17" rims and tires provide a MUCH smoother ride than the 18s. Also alot cheaper when it comes time for a tire change.
Actually I think the 17s have a nicer design than the 18s.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Stone Z

Lightbulb

If I decide to go with the Enthus. it will be because I have made a decison on a 19" wheel for a mod as soon as the car arrives. If not, by the time I place my order next month, I'll get the Performance model because of the 18's.....the 17's don't do it for me whatsover on the Enthus. model.....too small IMO.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:49 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Ricky
VDC would be nice, but a 2 dollar pressure gauge will do the same. The 18"s are nicer, not sure how much they affect handling, not much I suppose, but the 17s are GORGEOUS.
You're mixing features. The $2 pressure gauge is part of the automatic tire pressure sensing (which is also a feature on the Perfomance), it has nothing to do with the VDC. I do agree with the rest of your post though.

I went with the Enthusiast over the Perfomance because I have driven my whole life (including 2 Zs and 2 944s) without either TCS or VDC. I think I can go a while longer with just the TCS. Also, if the Z is your daily driver, the ride can be a tad on the rough side because the car has such amazing feel of the road. But that being the case, I'm glad I got the 17 inch wheels because the 18 inch would be a bit of a rougher ride. But as Rep14 said, get either, you will be fantastically happy and don't look back.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Ricky
Banned

oh my fault, your right. oops.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Ohio350z

I like the E model that I have. I wanted traction control but I really didn't care abou the VDC. I am using my 17" for my winter tires and I am planning on getting some new 18" for summer tires. The 18 rims are nice, but they look like a lot like the Maxima rims. The difference in cost should offset my cost of the rims, and the rest I am going to apply to an upgraded stereo.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:50 PM
PistolPete

if I would regret not getting the performance??
I haven't. I got the enthusiast and love it!

As far as VDC, it intrigued me, but I find myself turning off the TCS a lot anyway.

If you gotta have 18s, I would think its worth it. 18" wheels that fit this car ain't cheap!

If I had to do it again, I would order the same color and same model. This car rocks.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
superman78

Thanks for all the feedback! I think after some careful consideration I will go ahead with the Enthusiast. I just realized that the z in sport compact car was an enthusiast, the rims are very nice. AGain, thanks for all the feedback.....Black/carbon enthusiast, here I come......
Old 11-20-2002, 07:20 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by superman78
Thanks for all the feedback! .
Which reminds me.....So this guy starts talking to his horse....Well, you've always been a good horse...takin me whereever I wanted to go...never given me much troub....
The Horse stops him and says.....give me the FEEDBAG.....YOU IDIOT!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:39 PM
Radian

You will have no regrets unless you plan to drive the 350Z in snow and ice conditions.

Basically all you give up is the VDC and the 18" wheels.

The wheels you can always go aftermarket for.

The VDC can not be "retrofitted" but unless you live in a snowy climate, you probably will not need it.

After all, there have been millions of cars built in the past without it and people managed to drive them without it....
Old 11-20-2002, 09:35 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by Radian
You will have no regrets unless you plan to drive the 350Z in snow and ice conditions.

Basically all you give up is the VDC and the 18" wheels.

The wheels you can always go aftermarket for.

The VDC can not be "retrofitted" but unless you live in a snowy climate, you probably will not need it.

After all, there have been millions of cars built in the past without it and people managed to drive them without it....
Makes sense, but the last sentence is not a valid argument. Millions of cars have also been happily driven in the past without air conditioning, disc brakes, fuel injection, airbags, radial tires, power windows, electric starters, etc. etc. There may be good reasons why a particular set of features is not worth paying more for, but this argument is not one of them. If a new feature is good, it might be worth having. Take the nav. system: it can be a great thing to have for many people, even though such devices have not even been available until very recently.

If you like the safety of VDC (even better than insurance, it can prevent an accident) then it matters little how many cars have gone without it: it still might be worth the money. And the tire pressure readout: obviously not a neccessity, but I sure like glancing at the display instead of parking, getting out, getting dirty, and checking all four wheels.

For me, getting the Performance over Enthusiast was well worth it, and I don't regret it one bit. However, I thought the NAV system wasn't worth the extra $2k and didn't order it, and I do regret that. I find that after time passes, I never regret spending more and getting the best, but I do sometimes regret the contrary.

YMMV.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 PM
JamieH

Default Enthusiast vs Performance

Personally I wouldn't recommend driving the Z in snowy/icy conditions. In fact, I wouldn't recommend driving most RWD cars in snow and ice. If you live in a place that snows a lot, the best option is to pick up a cheap used truck that has 4WD to drive on bad weather days. You can usually find a high mileage truck for pretty cheap. Plus it is really useful to have around when you need to haul stuff that can't fit in your Z.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:16 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I've hydroplanned and spun a car at 70 mph due to a pavement drop off from a bridge's concrete to the asphault in a slight curve causing my rear tires to kick out. I'm spending the extra money for the Performance (if I go Z over the G35) just for any help I can get in that kind of condition
Old 11-24-2002, 12:49 PM
vshin

VDC isn't going to help you if you hydroplane. NOTHING will help you if you hydroplane...except better tires.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:47 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Depends on what happens to cause you to get on top of the water. In my case, possibly not, but it might have given me the extra help in the second where I almost had it caught before it kicked back sideways and into the spin.

It couldn't hurt in some situations, and would possibly help. I'd go for the performance with this being one of the key reasons.

Quick Reply: Will I regret Enthusiast over Performance??