Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

got rice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 11:49 PM
AutoXJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VQracer

Well when you go really fast you want drag to keep your rear planted on the ground.
You're talking about track speeds at faster tracks. In virtually any car, the addition of a huge wing would only be neccessary for folks running well into the trip-digits in road racing and long circle-track venues. Folks that do this often are pretty rare.

Look, some guys who track their Supras get rid of the rear wing just for weight and drag savings. They're not running 160 regularly, but can use the lower-speed competitive edge that less weight and less drag that scrapping the wing provides. And that's a factory wing.

Nissan, in their wisdom, gave us a bodystyle with downforce that'll be good for rock-solid stability up to at least 110 without an add-on rear wing. If you run really fast tracks often, the factory "bump" spoiler will give you a little more top end stability to work with. But there sure as heck isn't a need for a biplane wing like this one, for any application!

If you like it for style, say you like it for style. I'm cool with that, I can respect the showcar enthusiasts. But please don't mislead others by pretending that it's good for performance street use or casual racing, okay? A wing like this will slow you down.

Last edited by AutoXJunkie; 06-25-2002 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:59 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

AutoX-

As jeffw pointed out, there are several assumptions being made based on a drawing.

This is a most likely a concept for a JGTC racecar. This seems to make the most sense based on the following:
-C-West has a history in this series with many Nissan vehicles, as well as others.
-The design follows several JGTC rules and norms (including the big wing)
-Many of the other cars listed on the same page as the one being discussed here, are full on JGTC cars.

C-West may make a street kit that takes styling cues from such a car. This is what you will see on that same page. They show the racecar "kit" then the street car. A 350Z street kit styled after a JGTC racecar would be mostly show.

"Erm, correct me if I'm wrong (and I certainly may be), but I don't recall seeing a C-West kit..."

Race teams rarely share their developments with other teams. Exceptions exist mainly in regards to automakers selling full vehicles, C5-R, Dodge's new Viper, Ferrari 333SP. But this is _usually_ a generation behind their newest model. In addition, the C-West aerodynamic package could be the worst on the track, but it doesn't change the fact that they designed it for the track. Obviously, this would not make it a very attractive package to buy, but track derived it would be.

Regarding "true race kits," you are making some major assumptions. NVH would still be important, you don't want a body panel vibrating too much (noise and harshness matter less.) GT class racing series often use stock locations for the mounting of a lot of body work, including openings matching stock light and taillight locations (obviously, the actual lights will often differ from stock.) I am not sure about others, but JGTC rules require very little deviation from the stock body lines (i.e. room for DOT-legal bumpers)

Don't assume I believe the hype.
Oh, and don't believe the hype regarding any car manufacturer's "wisdom." When they prove it with their vehicles, as I believe the 350Z will do, then they can be praised for that wisdom.

For even more discussion regarding this C-West topic read this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=64

Sorry for the long post

JD
Old 06-26-2002, 01:20 AM
AutoXJunkie

articfury, your points are well taken indeed. Thanks for your insight, I don't follow Japanese racing much.

I think for the most part we're in agreement here- C-West runs Jap-series race cars. C-West sells street body kits. The two aren't the same, as some folks here would like to believe. Some posters were insinuating that C-West made street bodykits that would improve performance, and by way of proof said that race teams were using them. I think we both agree that this is likely untrue.

I don't know about your part of the country, but here in the Southeast, I've never seen one of these type bodykits on any of the region's tracks, either at amateur, semi-pro, or pro road races. I've seen a few at autocrosses, and they usually post really slow times. So, at least here, there are few if any C-west bodykits being used by racers at any level.

And, thanks for the insight on waiting until we have a production example to make a call on high-speed stability. Good catch, I was wrong there. I do hope Nissan comes through on that promise.