MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   350Z+Snow = DEATH (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/13037-350z-snow-death.html)

Slexis200 12-05-2002 12:46 PM

350Z+Snow = DEATH

DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR IN THE SNOW, I HAD ABOUT 100 NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES TODAY, ITS NUTS. I HAD MY HAZARDS ON HALF THE TIME......... The car was fishtailing left and right, i did about 3 180's and never went over 15mph. People were not kidding when they said do not bring this in the snow. I know there are a few topics on snow, but the more the better, it should keep people away.....

You cannot imagine how bad it is, i got stuck and had people push me every 30 feet for like 4 blocks...... There is zero traction and this car is dangerous to you and others in the snow!!!!! STAY HOME.

p.s. i own a base with no traction etc............

mickey 12-05-2002 01:02 PM

See:
[URL=https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12973]

Scroll down and check out "ares" comment.(Note: ares is the defender of 350Z)

harryb92 12-05-2002 01:05 PM

Good call, I had to go out to pick my brother up from work in bmw 328. I was all over the road and even scratched my front right wheel :(

Most of the RWD cars are dangerous in snow. Stay home atleast if you plan to drive z out there.

ziscoming 12-05-2002 01:30 PM

The Z is good in the snow with Blizzak LM 22's.

Do a search as many of us are doing real time testing

Intrepid 12-05-2002 01:32 PM

The Z comes with SUMMER tires. And they are crap to boot.

If you wish to drive in the snow, please replace Summer tires with All Season Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires.

http://www.tirerack.com

abz123 12-05-2002 01:33 PM

Glad it rarely snows where I live. :D

belkmike 12-05-2002 01:34 PM

All of our parents and grandparents drove RWD cars in the snow. The difference was they all put on narrow high profile snow tires that dug into the snow. 60 series tires didn't exist and wide tires were 175's on 14" rims.

They also knew how to drive in the snow. Slowly and try to never come to a complete stop. A lost art.

bmx_390 12-05-2002 01:46 PM

All of this talk about how the Z sucks in the snow. but the thing is it is a rear wheel drive car and what did you expect. The best thing to do, if you feel unsave and don't have another car, is go out to a parking lot with a lot of room and learn how the thing acts. After that if it does start to kick out you will remain in control. I have done this with several of my past cars and my current car and I never have lost control. Lots of drifting action but no scares. My current car is a 2000 s10 with the v6 and I drive it all the time in the snow with no weight in the back, its kind of fun. With hope and assuming all goes well in Feb. I will have a Z and it will also see snow action.

^Tyr 12-05-2002 01:53 PM

i drive an s10 as a work truck and thier easy to drive in bad weather (granted i have tools and such in teh back probably no more than 300 lbs total though) and its a breeze to drive you just have to be smart and try not to do anything quickly dont get on gas fast, dont hit brakes hard etc. common sense me thinks

the parkinglot deal is a really good point. i always try to do that with cars im not familiar with, i actually took my worktruck into a parking lot and drifted it around to get a feel for it, i explained why to my boss and he said if it keesp you from wrecking my truck go ahead :) granted i was very careful as its not my vehicle

also another tip,, whenever the weather condition changes overnight or such and you get on the roads do a test stop after you get moving.... obvioulsly on a straight road or something just to see how much grip the roads are giving you... it can be misleading sometimes... i always try to givem a good tap when i think something might be differnt

acid burn 12-05-2002 03:24 PM

Winter

Tires

Aloharacing 12-05-2002 03:32 PM

What is this weird phenomenon that you guys speak of, called, "snow"?

:D

If San Diego ever experienced it, I've got my front-wheel drive beater which does fine in the bad weather.

Bottom line: I wouldn't risk driving the Z in the stuff. Too much liability, not only to yourself, but to others on the road too.

Intrepid 12-05-2002 03:42 PM

In most areas that get snow in the winter, the roads are clear in about 24 hours anyway. Not a big deal.

Ludecrew 12-05-2002 03:56 PM

IM sick of everyone saying the cars sucks in the snow. So does any car with summer tires!! GAWD.. go buy some blizzaks and do yourself a favor

Ohio350z 12-05-2002 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Enough about how the Z sucks in the snow, it doesn't. It is far better than my Saab 9-5 SE was even when it was in "winter" modeYou should have gotten the traction control if you were going to drive your car in the snow. That's ok if you didn't, just make sure you replace your stock "summer" tires with Blizzak LM22s. You can get them from TireRack in a about 2 days delivered for about $750. Get the 225/50/17s for all four tires. With 1/2" of light snow on my driveway I couldn't even go up it after 9 tries and my driveway has only a slight incline even with TCS. With 5" inches of snow ontop of hard ice I had no problem driving the car up the driveway, or around town with the new snow tires. The car is very stable and predictable when in the snow and slush. Here are the pics to prove it.

specialp 12-05-2002 04:27 PM

No this car *stock* is terrible in the snow. I have the traction control, and while it does prevent the car from fishtailing, it does not help the car get any traction whatsoever. I have the stock tires, and I could not even get around the block. There is simply 0 traction. I am not a bad snow driver either as my prior car was a 300zx and I got around.

Not knocking this car, but lets not kid ourselves here.

350z + potenzas = get nowhere.

Track_350Z 12-05-2002 05:29 PM

WARNING: DO NOT DRIVE IN SNOW!

Seriously, I was stranded today. I live ouside of Philadelphia & we had 10" of snow today. It was my first time driving the Z in the snow. I made it about 1/4 mile before I turned into a parking lot & gave up. It was fish-tailing like crazy. To be fair, the roads were terible but there were many cars & trucks crusing along including bimmers (RWD). In fact, I just got back from trying to free my car from the paking lot to no avail. In contrast, my Altima got along fine.

If you love your Z as much as I do... LEAVE IT SAFE @ HOME IF IT'S GOING TO SNOW! :eek:

grebmohr 12-05-2002 06:20 PM

As the driver of many Zs. 280z , zx, Z31,z32- none of them were worth a poop in the snow-- in the hands of an unskilled driver. I personally never had a problem. ('84 apart which required 100 pounds of sandbags in hatch to drive safely)

Know your limitations-- or write a big check for some kewl snow rubber.

eddieclayton 12-05-2002 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I live in south central PA and we got 10" of snow as well. I wasn't having much of a problem at all, until the snow got higher than the frame of the car. I do believe with snow tires this car wouldn't be bad at all, I have a base model without traction control. I trust my driving for the most part, but the driving of others I do not that is why I'm now searching for a beater car. I would be really pissed at myself if I let something happen to my Z (it's the first new car I have owned). If it works the picture below was taken this morning, when we had 5" of snow it finally has slowed down at 10". Be careful out there guys.

raceboy 12-05-2002 07:29 PM

Why do people live where there is snow? Move to SoCal; problem solved!!

BigBadBuford 12-06-2002 09:02 AM

I'd have to say the tires are probably the biggest problem with the car. Personally, I think RWD cars are better in the snow than FWD cars when they have snow tires. I used to drive a 240SX in the snow, and with good tires it would get along fine in the snow and handling and braking were much better than with a FWD car. That being said, I won't drive my Z out of the garage until the snow is gone, I had to move the car into the garage from the driveway and it barely made it!