Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 PM
iCreate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...

Greetings all. Was seriously contemplating a Z, as I absolutely love the car. After reading though, it's apparent I'd have to learn to live with clicks, bangs, thumps, and clanks from one problem or another -- something I'm not willing to do if I'm shelling out some serious money.

Am I just seeing the dirty laundry, or are these cars REALLY that problematic. It's a damn shame too, because they're beautiful and stylish otherwise.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey your in LA! Come by and Ill take you for a ride

Every car has issues... I have over 60,000 on my Z... Ive only had 2 serious problems,

1. Being an idiot at the drag strip and breaking my rear end...
2. Having an open hood...

I wouldnt trade my Z for anything else... (except something with no payments)
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 PM
gsazabi

Hey icreate, I'm having a whole bunch of problems wit my Z to be honest.
And I don't really know how many other people do have these problems.
But man, let me tell you~ You can't stop loving this car.
It's an awesome car man. Dont let anything hinder you from getting one.
I actually bought my Z being aware of most problems it had.

BTW Jason, you've got a PM
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 PM
iCreate

I'm assuming you work at Performance Nissan? If so, and you frequent these forums, I assume you're quite familiar with all these related issues?

You hit the nail on the head; every car has something, no doubt. I would just hate to think that a 'new' car would have issues after just a thousand miles or so. Differential 'clunks,' grinding gears, and replacing axles scares me.

No doubt the car is probably fun to drive, but given mine would be daily driver, I'd hate to be hassled with having to take my car to Duarte every other week.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:04 AM
iCreate

Originally Posted by gsazabi
I'm having a whole bunch of problems wit my Z to be honest.
Hahahaha... Believe me, I am not debating the car is a kick in the pants. But unfortunately I'm not in the position to be nagging with problematic issues or TSB's -- Perhaps this will be alleviated in 2006. (here's hoping anyway). I'm certainly not trying to be a stickler. If we're talking about tire wear, brake dust, or other inconsequential things, that's different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people are having issues with grinding gears and Differential Clanks, after having bought their cars just 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:09 AM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by iCreate
But unfortunately I'm not in the position to be nagging with problematic issues or TSBs.
I say go for the auto or just wait for the 06 and see what's gonna happen.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

I'm assuming you work at Performance Nissan? If so, and you frequent these forums, I assume you're quite familiar with all these related issues?

You hit the nail on the head; every car has something, no doubt. I would just hate to think that a 'new' car would have issues after just a thousand miles or so. Differential 'clunks,' grinding gears, and replacing axles scares me.

No doubt the car is probably fun to drive, but given mine would be daily driver, I'd hate to be hassled with having to take my car to Duarte every other week.
then buy something else.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Hahahaha... Believe me, I am not debating the car is a kick in the pants. But unfortunately I'm not in the position to be nagging with problematic issues or TSB's -- Perhaps this will be alleviated in 2006. (here's hoping anyway). I'm certainly not trying to be a stickler. If we're talking about tire wear, brake dust, or other inconsequential things, that's different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people are having issues with grinding gears and Differential Clanks, after having bought their cars just 3 weeks ago.
iCreate,

I have a 2005 Z with 5000 Miles on it....I bought it new and haven't had any problems with tires, engine, tranny, or anything else..to be honest.

Nissan makes good cars.....If we were talking about a Vette or Mustang, then we'd be talking about regular visits to the mechanic!

Do yourself a favor....Check out Consumer Reports regarding the Z.

Some of the peeps here have the FIRST year (2003) Z, which like ANY first year car, is bound to have some problems!

I bet you'll hear all sorts of horror stories about the new 2006 Pontiac Solstice (the new 2 seater roadster)
Old 08-06-2005, 12:33 AM
DZ2005

Dude I have a 2005 SB Z with about 5k miles on it, no problems whatsoever and it's a 6MT. Go for it man, you won't regret it, I looooove my car!
PS...the new mustangs, yeah try that for a new car and you might as well throw your money in the dumpster. They have so many problems right now it's ridiculous, they can't even figure out how to pump gas in the damn things cuz Ford put the tank at such an angle. The probs with the Z's were mostly in 2003 I think or if people abuse their cars or don't know how to drive a stick. People, if this is your first MT, don't buy a Z!

Last edited by DZ2005; 08-06-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 AM
iCreate

Believe me, I want to get the car -- I will speak to my local dealer and ask their input on dealing with problems should any arise.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:42 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my biggest issue with my 03 is mmmmm window streaks and each window motor went bad....covered under warrenty

front tires had some minor feathering - got new tires

hmmm nope, drawing a blank. Haven't had any issues with the car in stock form

hey jason, you having an open hood - so biggest issue is dirt and rain with it?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:24 AM
AZNNBLK

05 SB Z.. no problemz with it so far at 4K miles.. n i luv this car.. this is my 4th sports car n evry one would have some problems one form or anotha.. but is it challenging n fun to play wit the modz n performance anywayz?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:10 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that people only post about problems. When you're not having a problem with your car, you don't come to a board and post "Hi, today was just another day where I drove my Z around, but didn't have any problems to report."

To be realistic, are they perfect? No. No car is perfect and without some minor problems and aggravations. For the most part, you will find the majority of us very happy with our cars and would own nothing else.

If you're afraid of the possibility of problems, then walk away now. If you buy a Z, you'll never be happy with it as you'll be looking for problems and issues every day that you own one.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:11 AM
ianwilder

I totally agree with your apprehension. I too have been debating about the 350z. Love the car but was worried about the problems. I've passed on a 2003 but am looking for a 2004 or 2005. Was worried about using it as a daily driver but thanks to this forum i think it'll be fine. Hopefully i'll get mine soon and can join everyone here in proclaiming my love for the z !! If you can afford it - get it !
Old 08-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Zexy

haha. So iCreate posted to ***** and what not and to contradict?

Leave the forums and go buy another car then. Really.

12k miles 8 months not 1 problem.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 AM
JRinTXrog

I also have a 2005, only have 2000 miles on it tho. When I was checking out everything, because of the tire feathering issue I would only consider a 2005 model. I have loved every minute of it. I use it as my daily driver, I also just got back from a 1000 mile trip. It was comfortable and it crusises pretty good at 90. The car is awsome.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:39 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2004 and when it arrived at the dealership it came with some electrical problems (dome light stayed on and something else), they fixed it then we were on our way. The only thing bad about it is the fact that it's about as fast as a EVO and a WRX. I think it's ridiculous that the new 350Z and RX-8 are so weak. What happened? It makes no sense to me. If Ford can keep the GT500 below 40K then I'm all over it. Other than that though, it's an ok car.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:06 AM
MeetJoeAsian

I researched the Zs for problems before I got mine. I work in the auto industry, so i have a lot of connections as far as who to talk to. A buddy of mine is a service manager at Nissan and I spoke to him before I made my purchase. He told me about the problems in the Z, and he did tell me the problems lie in the the 2003 models. For the 2004/2005 models, they have fixed the bugs. But, not ever car is perfect, there is a flaw in every car made. Hell, I sell Toyotas and Scions, and well, even the Camry has a problem once in awhile, hence WARRANTY!!! I was thinking about buying a pre-owned 2003, but my friend told me to avoid buying that...so I got me a 2004....Never had a problem...

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 08-06-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:31 AM
rocketrich

Originally Posted by Racer Z
iCreate,

Do yourself a favor....Check out Consumer Reports regarding the Z.

Definitive! You are always going the get the extremes of views on any automotive forum. It seems that two classes of people frequent this forum the most: 1) The lovers and 2) The haters. You've got to identify a truly honest broker and Consumer Reports is such.

I waited till the '05 year to get my Z. Plenty of time for Nissan to get the bugs worked out and this is substantiated by the Consumer Reports ratings. The absolute rock solid reliability of my '98 Maxima led me down this path. I used the inputs form Consumer Reports to select my Maxima and my gut feel that by '05 the Z would be rock solid as well. JD powers initial 90 day quality results on the Z are also compelling. The Z isn't the fastest, the prettiest, or the nicest interior...but I would say that when you consider its price with what it does deliver and Nissan's reputation for quality you've got a package that is too good to refuse. I'm obviosuly a Z lover, but not every car is for every person. Vive la difference! Good luck, Rich
Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 AM
ThisZs4Me

2005 Touring with 5500 miles. No problems. Traded my Vette (which was always at the mechanic) for it and haven't regretted it yet! Get one! Lots of fun driving!!

Quick Reply: Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...