2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is it BS, or is EVERYONE going FI???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolverineut
Yea, IMO, if you want to FI the 350Z, just spend the extra on a Corvette C6 instead. 400hp NA.

eh corvettes are boring old man cars
Old 08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Spideynw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
eh corvettes are boring old man cars
I admit I like the looks of the 350Z more then the vette, but I do think the new vettes are much better looking then the previous ones. Every time I see one, from the front, I think I am seeing a Ferrari. They still need to do something to the rear of it though.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Zexy

NA is best biatch
Old 08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
sentry65
the burninator

everyone wants to be a street racer

fewer want to put their ***** on the line and drive a road course
Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was given some advice by a guy at a Z meet I went to a while back. His car was all decked out with twin turbos, built engine, etc. I asked him if he felt it was safe putting a single turbo on my car and just have the boost down a bit to remain safe, He told me this. No matter how much HP you crank out or how low your boost setting, Dont Go FI unless you have a spare VQ 3.5L engine sitting in my garage as a replacement motor. That scared me right back into the NA club. BEN
Old 08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hehe, that's not as true these days with the Z as it was a year or two ago, but you do need to be able to afford a new engine if yours did blow up or just build it from the start. Or have a 2nd car.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:47 PM
alpine

Yea, IMO, if you want to FI the 350Z, just spend the extra on a Corvette C6 instead. 400hp NA.
I wanted a 350z, so I got one.

The stock stereo sucks, so I got a system

I wanted more power, So I got a APS Twin Turbo

None of this means I go out and get a Vette, BMW, or Mercedes..

Sorry about this, but I'd have to say that depending why you are going FI would determine if you were to get another vehicle entirely, I mean this has gotta be one of the worst "stand alone statements" I've seen about this topic and aside from that I personally appreciate vette's but wouldn't want to own one.

If you don't love your Z, then why'd you get it in the first place?

Last edited by alpine; 08-15-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by alpine
If you don't love your Z, then why'd you get it in the first place?
First, I do love my Z.

Second, Z cost $27,000.00, C6 cost $45,000.00. Maybe you live in a land of money growing on trees. I don't.

Third, C6 did not come out until after I got my Z.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
SekZee

ok, so nobody really answered my question =))

how much would it be to get an engine build in order for it to handle a turbo? and also... how come a goddamn dodge neon engine can hold a turbo perfectly, and ours cant?(!!!!!) how come a v6 mustang's engine responds to bolt ons/turbo's better then ours? we have a true sports car, with an "oh so great" vq35 engine that won numerous awards, and, as everybody sais, the best v6 engine, that responds so sh!tty to bolt ons, and gets blown with turbos all the time? thats the only thing that pisses me off so much about a Z! other then that...i love this car more then anything else
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM
sentry65
the burninator

my dad has a C6

it's fast

it handles well

it also has a retarded baseball bat thick steering wheel (changing in 06) feels like a boat, boring and quiet exhaust note (yeah yeah get an aftermart exhaust etc..) nice, but plain/typical interior, I hate leather seats and no option for cloth seats I don't think. Not big on all the gadgetry in the car, hate hate HATE the door handles and lack of normal FOB with a button - there's a slight delay to opening them waiting for the car to detect the FOB, drilled rotors on the sport package will be more likely to crack than plain or slotted rotors, it's nicer looking than your normal corvette but still "corvette" looking - as in kinda normal and bland IMO. Run flat tires are nice, but heavier, think seats are uncomfortable in lumbar area, car just overall feels like it handles like a slow pig even though it isn't because it's "refined" mmm hmm. Wheels are heavy. Not a true hard top roof. Headlights look weird being painted the body color inside the casing. And lastly, the whole middle aged, midlife crisis, divorced, balding/gray haired, gold chain wearing, "american is better", old man car stereotype that's associated with it
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM
hypeiv

right if you spend $20k to get you're $30k Z up to C6 speed and pull out of the lot and some ricer in a kia creams you... his insurance is giving you $30k to replace the Z and have fun fighting for that $20k in mods... in contrast if you spend $50k on a C6 and get creamed by the kia you get the full $50k from his insurance (well if he is insured)

I would prefer the FI Z... but you have to pay to play and take some risk that I am not ready to take yet.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by SekZee

how much would it be to get an engine build in order for it to handle a turbo? and also... how come a goddamn dodge neon engine can hold a turbo perfectly, and ours cant?(!!!!!) how come a v6 mustang's engine responds to bolt ons/turbo's better then ours? we have a true sports car, with an "oh so great" vq35 engine that won numerous awards, and, as everybody sais, the best v6 engine, that responds so sh!tty to bolt ons, and gets blown with turbos all the time? thats the only thing that pisses me off so much about a Z! other then that...i love this car more then anything else

the mustang is an american V8 engine. It has a lot of displacement. Generally it's not very refined. Meaning Ford isn't making the most efficient use out of it. So when you add a bolt on part, it makes more power. Our 3.5 V6 is even with Ford's 4.6 V8. It's also a heavier engine because it's bigger

The SRT4 "neon" is an iron block engine. It's heavy. It's strong. It's an inline engine, not a V. It can handle more power for what it is. It takes a turbo to make this engine have any real power.

The Z's engine is pushed pretty hard as it is. It's made of aluminum. It's not as strong as iron. It also weighs less than iron. The Z engine is more refined than the others. It has more valves, higher compression ratio, a good amount of displacement, etc. You're also forgetting the Z's other strength's like it's really aggressive gearing and light carbon fiber driveshaft.

The Z's ECU is also a pain in the butt. You add on a bolt on mod, you gain a little power. Add another and nothing. Add another and you might lose some power. The ECU is trying to adhere to strict emissions programming and has the ability to pull engine timing and fuel in order to keep the car running within spec for good emissions.

On top of that it's trying to adjust to your driving style. If you drive hard, it'll give you maximum timing and fuel. If you cruise for awhile, it'll try to give you better gas mileage at the expense of power. The ECU doesn't always switch between the two extremes very fast. Sometimes the engine will get a little knock because it was designed to run on 93 octane and 91 is all that's available to a lot of people. If it knocks, it'll detect that and pull power.

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:15 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by hypeiv
right if you spend $20k to get you're $30k Z up to C6 speed and pull out of the lot and some ricer in a kia creams you... his insurance is giving you $30k to replace the Z and have fun fighting for that $20k in mods... in contrast if you spend $50k on a C6 and get creamed by the kia you get the full $50k from his insurance (well if he is insured)

I would prefer the FI Z... but you have to pay to play and take some risk that I am not ready to take yet.

not if your insurance will cover your mods. My insurance covers whatever extra is on the car for aprox $1/month for every $1000 I put on my car. They just need a list of the work done and copies of receipts
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
hypeiv

The SRT4 "neon" is an iron block engine. It's heavy. It's strong. It's an inline engine, not a V. It can handle more power for what it is. It takes a turbo to make this engine have any real power.
to answer sekZee's question more directly... the neon engine is not the same as the srt4 engine... the srt4 engine is built up to support the turbo... you couldn't just take the turbo from a srt4 and stap it into a stock neon and expect the engine to be ok.

Engines that have stock turbos are built up to support the turbo. They ususally over do it a little to make sure the engine doesn't blow. This is why gains can be had so easily on these cars b/c the engine is already designed for FI. The Z wasn't made for FI that is why people build up the engines, and why they sometimes blow when people try to run FI on stock internals.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
hypeiv

not if your insurance will cover your mods. My insurance covers whatever extra is on the car for aprox $1/month for every $1000 I put on my car. They just need a list of the work done and copies of receipts

great info... I had no idea you could get that
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
alpine

First, I do love my Z.

Second, Z cost $27,000.00, C6 cost $45,000.00. Maybe you live in a land of money growing on trees. I don't.

Third, C6 did not come out until after I got my Z.
So you couldn't get a C6 because they weren't available, so you got a Z instead. That's great, but then you suggested someone else get a C6 instead of Z just to get 400HP.

That is why I mentioned "reason" for power vs going one way or the other to start with for cars. Unfortunately I don't have any money trees or access to them.

Budget is a HUGE factor in FI or any other power producing process, that needs to be considered as much as all the homework you'll have to do.

I just wouldn't by a C6 vs a Z to get the HP the C6 has stock to save 18K where I could easily get 400HP for less than that out of a Z if solely HP was my goal.

Also 45K is going to cost you more out the door & daily thereafter, and so to take this particular conversation further, it wouldn't make any sense to buy a C6 vs a 350z to get 400HP, BTW that 400HP is at the crank, I like it at the wheels, and don't think the C6 is there yet, we keep hearing about them getting to 500HP (supercharged) at the crank, so maybe that wil get you 450 to wheels, but that's not going to be 45K.

Now if you don't have 45K (I don't) then there is no point to any this.

If you like a C6 more than a 350, then get a C6.

But don't buy a C6 to get 400HP vs taking your Z to whatever HP you want.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i thought the C6 corvettes with headers, cats, exhaust, and cams can do 470 crank hp or so? all NA
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 PM
SekZee

sentry65 and hypeiv
thanks for the info, guys

so if i want to turbo my z, ill have to rebuild the engine to support the turbo... but still...is it gonna blow even with a perfectly build engine after a few thousand miles? or i can be safe, and still having 400 miles one-way trips on a highway, pushing it once in a while, with a turbo?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
sentry65
the burninator

it's all about what kit you get and how it's tuned

many many people are running stock engines with FI kits and running fine. Stay away from the greddy on the stock block. the Vortech and APS kits seem to run just fine though on stock blocks.

I urge you to LEARN all the pros and cons about different FI setups and how the Z reacts to them. Think about what sort of driving you do now or plan on doing in the future.

a turbo kit might be great on the street but not so great on a road course etc. Understand fully how it'll change the car in it's handling, weight distribution shift, etc before just throwing down $10k and telling your local installer/tuner "put this thing on my car cause I hear it'll make it fast"
Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
alpine

Originally Posted by SekZee

Someone already posted a reply to this, but I can provide some input as well, perhaps some of it will be repetitive.

(1) The VQ motor is an excellent motor, it's Nissans work horse, so there is
nothing wrong with the motor itself, however comparing any motor to
another isn't going to go very far technically as someone else described.

(2) Getting power is not simply adding bolt ons, whether or not it repsonds
well because some of us have learned that the ECUs are taking back the
gains we got over some period of time so then you combat the ECU with
flashes and complete fuel computers.

(3) Some bolt ons do work, and work well, and keep working. Not all of
them and sometimes various combinations of bolt ons work against one
another or can't improve upon a previously existing bolt on.

(4) The damn neon motor is a great motor, built for turbo from the get go.
Sure it pisses me off that a 20K car can be pressed with a button to
20LBS (and more) but that is the way that thing is built.

(5) When you enter the FI arena, it is going to be all about tuning, and there
is more to tuning than you or I will ever know, but I've learned a lot over
the last year and a half.

There are so many ways to "tune" and it's not just A/F and BOOST,
there are temperatures to be considered throughout the
whole "combustion process" that would take days and days to list and
explain.

Tuning or more importantly lack there of causes more engine failures
than any FI solution out there. Next of course is if you abuse your
setup, outside of the design. Then there is plain old bad luck (or
defective type issues) and this can happen just as much to a stock
N/A motor as it could with a fully built FI motor.

We all know the VQ is not perfect, we've all heard about lubrication
failures and replaced motors.

(6) The VQ, in the 350z, got a bad rap in the beginning and I am certain
that it was due to one or more of the issues mentioned above moreso
than the VQ not being able to handle more power beign FI or other.

(7) I must be pushing over 400HP at the crank, and this has been
considered the breaking point for the VQ for as long as I can remember.

Mrtomcat, is running the same kit I am, plus additional goodies, and
must be pressing past 475 at the crank and we were both dragging our
cars fearlessly (I made over 20 passes myself) in 100,95,85 degree
weather.

This is due to product quality & design for the VQ, plus incredible tuning
and the experience behind that tuning.

I've got 20K in things that matter into my car that make it do what I
want it to do, and more importantly its a 350z, which is nothing less
than an incredible car, and one of the most impressing out there today
and most likely for a good while to come.

Basic exposure to raw marketting revolving around this car tells anyone
that.

(8) You want to build the VQ to tolerate more? All you should need is about
10K to get it done, and maybe another 2K to monitor it all, plus the
additional 15K for turbos, installation, exhaust, wheels, tires....

(9) There are various ways to play around with these components and
tuning to get where you want at various price ranges.

Keep digging for information, talk to as many owners that you can,
check out as many shops as you can, and then make the best choices
for what you want to accomplish, you need to consider how each step
is going to affect the way the car drives, responds, as well as
performs.

Last edited by alpine; 08-15-2005 at 03:59 PM.