2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is it BS, or is EVERYONE going FI???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
it's all about what kit you get and how it's tuned

many many people are running stock engines with FI kits and running fine. Stay away from the greddy on the stock block. the Vortech and APS kits seem to run just fine though on stock blocks.

I urge you to LEARN all the pros and cons about different FI setups and how the Z reacts to them. Think about what sort of driving you do now or plan on doing in the future.

a turbo kit might be great on the street but not so great on a road course etc. Understand fully how it'll change the car in it's handling, weight distribution shift, etc before just throwing down $10k and telling your local installer/tuner "put this thing on my car cause I hear it'll make it fast"
You beat me to it, good post in summing up key points, these are the points that have to be addressed first and foremost. and your quote "put this thing on my car cause I hear it'll make it fast" is what I tell people all the time.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:04 PM
alpine

Originally Posted by Wolverineut
I admit I like the looks of the 350Z more then the vette, but I do think the new vettes are much better looking then the previous ones. Every time I see one, from the front, I think I am seeing a Ferrari. They still need to do something to the rear of it though.
I would have to agree with you here that they are looking better more towards my taste.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 PM
alpine

i thought the C6 corvettes with headers, cats, exhaust, and cams can do 470 crank hp or so? all NA
Oh no doubt you can get them above the the 400 mark, at the time I posted that, we were talking "out of the box" vs where you can get to.

I was just on track with a fairly cool Z06 owner who had done some work, I believe he said he had gone with cams and head studs (apparently this is an issue with vettes with more power), upped the rev limiter about 250RPM, no and cats. Now he's getting just about 400 to the wheels, and in racing him he edge me out about .200 in the 1/4 with an additional 16MPH over me.

So in short, "he won" but I still don't like the car personally, and I don't know what it cost him to get the Z06 to provide that additional 50HP to the wheels
Old 08-16-2005, 06:10 AM
John Boy

I would guess that 99% of the 350Zs in the world are not FI.
Why does it seem like there are so many?

These forums attract "hard core" enthusiasts. It is the same with every forum regading a special interest I've ever had....everything from firearms to electronics.

You really need to make peace with yourelf before you jump on a bandwagon that isn't really there.

Originally Posted by Hella
Seems like the almost every thread ends with:

Till I go FI in 2 weeks.

TT's on order.

Ordering TT's in two weeks.

Either almost Z is going to be turboed or sc'd, or alot of people are full of sh*t.

I tend to think the latter.

I think: Put it in your sig once its installed, but whatever.

-APS TT on order
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lamest thread ever ......
Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by teh215
Lamest thread ever ......
+1
Old 08-16-2005, 09:00 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, IMO, if you want to FI the 350Z, just spend the extra on a Corvette C6 instead. 400hp NA.
Considering a C6 will cost $20K more than the most expensive Z and $30K more than the lower end Z, I think going FI on a Z even without built motor (around $7K ST installed, or $10K TT installed) is a much better option. Even stock block has held reliably at 500rwhp on one car that I know of and at near 450rwhp on quite a few cars and that will smoke a C6 any day. If you build the motor (extra $6K) and turn up the boost, you will be making more power than an Enzo. I imagine an extra $8K would be necessay at the point for sustaining that power. There's already a couple good drivers in stock block Z's w/turbo kits running 11.6 on APS kit and 11.3 on Greddy kit. I think I heard the new Z06 when it comes out (at over $75K mind you, I think it'll be closer to $80K or more) is supposedly running an 11.5.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you say the Z06 is running a 11.5 at 127.1 mph?? hehe jk - inside joke in other car forum

The Z is fast, but even with a million hp, it won't have an easy time breaking into the 11's cause it will not get traction at the drag strip without slicks. I dare anyone to do faster than 12's on street tires in a turbo Z...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
TK2005

Did you say the Z06 is running a 11.5 at 127.1 mph?? hehe jk - inside joke in other car forum

The Z is fast, but even with a million hp, it won't have an easy time breaking into the 11's cause it will not get traction at the drag strip without slicks. I dare anyone to do faster than 12's on street tires in a turbo Z...
Why would you run on street tires? If you are going to spend $20K+ building a monster, spend a couple hundred bucks more and get some slicks. I have a hard time understanding people that go to the track on street tires unless you make under 400hp. If slicks can hold down cars to run 4s then it'll be fine for 10 second Zs. It looks like this guy down in Puerto Rico is going for 10s on his stock block Z.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by TK2005
Considering a C6 will cost $20K more than the most expensive Z and $30K more than the lower end Z, I think going FI on a Z even without built motor (around $7K ST installed, or $10K TT installed) is a much better option. Even stock block has held reliably at 500rwhp on one car that I know of and at near 450rwhp on quite a few cars and that will smoke a C6 any day. If you build the motor (extra $6K) and turn up the boost, you will be making more power than an Enzo. I imagine an extra $8K would be necessay at the point for sustaining that power. There's already a couple good drivers in stock block Z's w/turbo kits running 11.6 on APS kit and 11.3 on Greddy kit. I think I heard the new Z06 when it comes out (at over $75K mind you, I think it'll be closer to $80K or more) is supposedly running an 11.5.
C6=$45k
Top of the line Z=$36k
Only $9k difference, anyone else get different numbers?

Also, if you get base C6, it is only $43k. Base 350z is $27k. So even there it is only a $16k difference, no where near your "$30k" that you claim.

Lastly, 1/4 mile isn't the only thing you get when you buy the new Z06. You will also get nice track times and much higher top speeds then the Z.

Still, after thinking about it more, I have decided I would rather have an FI 350z then a Corvette. Corvette's are BORING, to look at.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
gatti-man

C6=$45k
Top of the line Z=$36k
Only $9k difference, anyone else get different numbers?

Also, if you get base C6, it is only $43k. Base 350z is $27k. So even there it is only a $16k difference, no where near your "$30k" that you claim.

Lastly, 1/4 mile isn't the only thing you get when you buy the new Z06. You will also get nice track times and much higher top speeds then the Z.

Still, after thinking about it more, I have decided I would rather have an FI 350z then a Corvette. Corvette's are BORING, to look at.
i have yet to see a c6 vette go for 43, from what ive heard they mostly are 50k+ otd before ttl because the stealers tack on alot of bs.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by Z BOY
those who can, do.
No. Removed my FI kit from my car. Next time, if I want that much power, I'll buy a more powerful car to start with. One that has been thoroughly engineered with ALL the proper components throughout the vehicle to reliably handle the power and put it to the pavement.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah they're always 50k out the door

Why would you run on street tires? If you are going to spend $20K+ building a monster, spend a couple hundred bucks more and get some slicks. I have a hard time understanding people that go to the track on street tires unless you make under 400hp. If slicks can hold down cars to run 4s then it'll be fine for 10 second Zs. It looks like this guy down in Puerto Rico is going for 10s on his stock block Z.

yeah I know. It isn't a big deal to just swap wheels/tires

however my point was that many cars in stock form on street tires can get better times than a FI Z.

A viper can get 11.7 on stock street tires
A corvette Z06 can get 11.5 on stock street tires

With the Z, you really can't break into the 11's unless you have racing tires, the gearing is just too aggressive
Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Speedracer

You price figures are only for the kits themselves. What about the clutch, tires, wheels, brakes, cooling system upgrades, gauges to make your FI Z reliable and well balanced. You're easily at $20k
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Clapton9286

I'm still debating. I don't think i'll go turbo..I've never liked lag and I don't like the cost. The Vortech kit looks cool, as do some others, but the Stillen one requires the ugliest hood i've ever seen. I don't really like the idea of spending so much money so soon, so something like that would be after the standard bolt ons. And I don't need anything that'll tank the engine before 80K either..
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Speedracer
You price figures are only for the kits themselves. What about the clutch, tires, wheels, brakes, cooling system upgrades, gauges to make your FI Z reliable and well balanced. You're easily at $20k

+1 to that

so many people think all you need is a FI kit and that's all....they're in for a shock sooner or later
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by gatti-man
i have yet to see a c6 vette go for 43, from what ive heard they mostly are 50k+ otd before ttl because the stealers tack on alot of bs.
Well, guess we should go off of what you have heard. First of all, probably most of the vettes you have heard of going for 50k+ are the convertibles. Second, right from the source here you go http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/. $44.6k base model.

Most people have probably "heard" that the 350z is $35k+ out the door, that doesn't mean it is true. If you get the top model, it is.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Clapton9286

What about dealer markups? What makes you think there wouldn't be a markup for a brand new gen. of the Vette? Luck? GM employee incentives? And then you add in the new Z06..you think there won't be any markups for that either?

Bottomline..base prices don't really matter much in this game.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by SekZee
ok, so nobody really answered my question =))

how much would it be to get an engine build in order for it to handle a turbo? and also... how come a goddamn dodge neon engine can hold a turbo perfectly, and ours cant?(!!!!!)
It was very easy for dodge to put that engine in a Neon, they just used the engine that was for PT cruiser and put it in neon, and they had a cheap fast car.

There seems to be this notion that power is everything for a supercar and then compare turboed Z to an Enzo or any other supercar. A simple thing to think about is Formula 1 cars or any other race car, if they just went with more and more power they would get only straighline speed, no stability or handling. Cars are not designed to go in straight line, even so sports cars are designed to outhandle average cars. The difference is once you have more power, you need to know how to use it. So better braking, better handling and more important than the rest is aerodynamics at higher speeds. Thats why Enzo can achieve 215 mph with just a 6.0 liter normally aspirated engine and go on track at higher speeds without losing traction. And aerodynamics design costs a lot of money in development costs. Formula one cars spend ton of money in improving aerodynamics because thats what will most likely win their races.

Technically speaking whoever goes turbo/supercharger is my opinion is taking shortcuts to performance and many car company design philosophies are along those lines.

So before boasting about power only, I would think about other factors that make a car great.

Peace