MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Question about the OEM tire pressure sensors (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/143275-question-about-the-oem-tire-pressure-sensors.html)

mihalko1 09-21-2005 04:59 AM

Question about the OEM tire pressure sensors

I need to replace a sensor for one of my 18" non-track rims. I found a seller with one on hand, but it is off of his track rims. I'm assuming that this will work with my rim. I just need confirmation that this is correct. Thanks.

kcobean 09-21-2005 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mihalko1
I need to replace a sensor for one of my 18" non-track rims. I found a seller with one on hand, but it is off of his track rims. I'm assuming that this will work with my rim. I just need confirmation that this is correct. Thanks.

You are correct. There is a single part number for the TP sensors, so it will work in your wheel.

mihalko1 09-21-2005 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info.

Jason@Performance 09-21-2005 06:47 AM

once you put them in your rims you will have to have them re-programmed at your local dealer...

elms350Z 09-21-2005 07:53 AM

How does the Tire Pressure Monitor work??? I'm curious because I replaced my stock 17's with G35 18's and now they don't work.

VO... 09-21-2005 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by elms350Z
How does the Tire Pressure Monitor work??? I'm curious because I replaced my stock 17's with G35 18's and now they don't work.

I'm not sure if Infinity uses the same sensors as Nissan, but I would think they would. If they are indeed the same kind(check with you local dealer), you'll have to have the sensors recalibrated to communicate with your Z's onboard computer.

kcobean 09-21-2005 08:49 AM

When you changed wheels, did you also change TP Sensors, or did you transfer yours over into the G35 wheels? If you kept moved your sensors into the new wheels and you kept them in their respective corners (i.e. left-front before the wheel changes is still left-front after the wheel change), I'm not sure why they wouldn't work. Your dealer should be able to re-calibrate and or test them for you. If you are using new sensors altogether, they just need to be matched to your receiver. The dealer can do that for a small fee.

Just some background on the system itself: The sensors are motion activated, battery powered transmitters that are molded into the valve-stem assembly. They use a 7-year battery and when the car is not moving, they shut off. Rotation turns them on, which is why your unit reads --/-- when you first start the car. The Antenna that picks up their output is in your passengers side A-pillar and the receiver unit is in the passenger side dash.

DavesZ#3 09-21-2005 08:51 AM

First off, do the wheels you got off the G35 actually have the TPS sensors installed in them? If they didn't include the sensors, then no, your TPS won't be working. In that case, you could pull the sensors out of your 17" wheels and put them in the G35 wheels and they will work fine.

If the G35 wheels did include the sensors, then they need to be re-registered with the ECU. That is something that a dealer can do. It tells the ECU which sensor ID numbers are associated with which wheel.

zedated 09-21-2005 08:59 AM

In the TP display, I see a triangular shape (left-arrow?) at the bottom. I assume this means that the bottom number corresponds to the left wheel? It was not documented in the owners manual.

blksnake 09-21-2005 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If the G35 wheels did include the sensors, then they need to be re-registered with the ECU. That is something that a dealer can do. It tells the ECU which sensor ID numbers are associated with which wheel.

Can I reset the ECU myself or is it a device the dealer uses to recalibrate the sensors?

kcobean 09-21-2005 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by blksnake
Can I reset the ECU myself or is it a device the dealer uses to recalibrate the sensors?

This system has nothing to do with the ECU, per se. There is a separate TPS receiver that is the "brain" of the system. This unit only taps into the ECU for the purpose of outputting data values for the multi-func. computer.
Your best bet for having the wheel-speed sensors recalibrated to your car is to just take it to the dealership and pay the small fee, if they even charge you.

EDIT: Sorry, to more accurately answer your question, there is a tool that the dealer uses to activate the sensors one by one for recognition.

tomines 09-21-2005 12:15 PM

TPS sensors

I was told that the sensors will only fit on one piece wheels. It will not fit on multipiece wheels unless you do some modifications like banding the sensor to the inside of the wheel.

After I buy my new rims I'd rather not deal with all of that hooplah and check the pressure with a tire guage BUT I don't want the TPS system to be in error all the time.

1. Is there a way to disable the warning light on the dash?
2. One of the places that I want to buy rims from told me that they remove all of the sensors and stick it in the spare. Has anybody tried this?

kcobean 09-21-2005 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tomines
I was told that the sensors will only fit on one piece wheels. It will not fit on multipiece wheels unless you do some modifications like banding the sensor to the inside of the wheel.

After I buy my new rims I'd rather not deal with all of that hooplah and check the pressure with a tire guage BUT I don't want the TPS system to be in error all the time.

1. Is there a way to disable the warning light on the dash?
2. One of the places that I want to buy rims from told me that they remove all of the sensors and stick it in the spare. Has anybody tried this?

Well, the TPS sensors work in some aftermarket wheels and not in others. It depends on the where the valve stem opening is located.

There is no way to disable the light completely, but it will only come on after sustained highway speed travelling for durations longer than 20 or 30 minutes. Around town driving it will never come on. Mine only comes on on road trips.

The "sensor in the spare tire" thing is complete BS because the sensors are rotationally activated, so they would never actually send a signal sitting in the trunk. If you want the system to function on wheels that will not mount these properly, you have to band them.

usmanasif 09-21-2005 02:59 PM

I have always wondered: Do the TPS give the exact PSI each tire is at? Or do they work more like alarms to alert you should PSI in any one tire get too low?

DavesZ#3 09-21-2005 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by usmanasif
I have always wondered: Do the TPS give the exact PSI each tire is at? Or do they work more like alarms to alert you should PSI in any one tire get too low?

Yes, you will see the pressure of all four wheels in PSI. There is a built in trigger of 28 psi, once the pressure of any wheel drops below that the warning will go off.

As for it being "exact", yes and no. Mine are pretty accurate (±1psi), other people complain about them being off as much as 5 psi. Those are probably bad sensors.

elms350Z 09-21-2005 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback fellas! Yeah I don't think the G35 wheels have the TPS so I'll try and swap them from my old 17's.

rokinkead 09-21-2005 06:14 PM

It appears that the trigger pressure varies, depending on the size of the tire, and hence the recommended tire pressure, as written on the driver's door jamb. My car was receiving low pressure warnings for all four tires before I drove it off the lot. In the preparation process, the dealer apparently deflated the tires to bring them down to what was thought to be good for 17 inch wheels. I looked at the door jamb and noticed that the pressures were low for the 18 inch wheels which were actually on the car. Once I inflated the tires to 35 psi per the door jamb sticker, the low pressure readings and warnings disappeared.

Note to all: Do not look in the manual for the correct tire pressure. Look at the door jamb sticker.

blksnake 09-26-2005 12:26 AM

Thanks for the explaination! :)

Originally Posted by kcobean
This system has nothing to do with the ECU, per se. There is a separate TPS receiver that is the "brain" of the system. This unit only taps into the ECU for the purpose of outputting data values for the multi-func. computer.
Your best bet for having the wheel-speed sensors recalibrated to your car is to just take it to the dealership and pay the small fee, if they even charge you.

EDIT: Sorry, to more accurately answer your question, there is a tool that the dealer uses to activate the sensors one by one for recognition.

Badmonkey 09-27-2005 01:04 PM

I just had some sensors put in my wheels and the dealer cannot "see" them with their sensing device. Does anyone have any info on what may be the cause? I am not sure what the dealer uses to locate and sense the sensors, but my dealer says they are not detected. Is there a battery that can go dead? Is it possible that all 4 sensors are defective? Any ideas is appreciated.

kcobean 09-27-2005 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Badmonkey
I just had some sensors put in my wheels and the dealer cannot "see" them with their sensing device. Does anyone have any info on what may be the cause? I am not sure what the dealer uses to locate and sense the sensors, but my dealer says they are not detected. Is there a battery that can go dead? Is it possible that all 4 sensors are defective? Any ideas is appreciated.

Were the sensors banded into the wheels, or are they in the tire-stem location as they would be when stock?