Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Should I Approach Car Dealer With My Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
thrill350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Should I Approach Car Dealer With My Problem?

I purchased an 03 touring in late august and my bose headunit it bad. it went just 3 weeks after buying the car. the left speaker doesn't work while playing a CD, only with the am/fm radio. should the used car dealership (huntington honda) be responsible for fixing this for free? I have an extended warranty on the car but the surcharge is $100 for a repair. I rather not pay $100. what should I say to the dealer or service department?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 PM
NissanZfan

If it is under warrantee might as well have them fix it.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:29 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Explain the problem just a you did here: clear and to the point. Is your warranty bumper-to-bumper or drive train only? I cant see a way to get around the $100 co-pay.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:39 AM
thrill350z

damn trying to get out of paying the $100 fee bc I got the car only 3 weeks ago! they will prob say its my fault some how maybe bc the radar detector is hardwired or they'll say its bc of the tint lol. I just really don't got $100 to spend on it right now

Last edited by thrill350z; 09-24-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 AM
The Mike

I think it comes down to what you know. Is it still under 12000miles/12 months? If so take it to any nissan dealership. If not... Did the honda used car dept you bought the car give you a warranty from themselves when you bought the car? If no to the 1st one but yes to the 2nd ... then let honda take the tab on fixing it. If no to both then you're hosed and you will just have to shell out.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:07 AM
jwalshfam

just pay the 100 dollars and quit crying, costs that much to get gas anyways
Old 09-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Fletch69z

Yeah, if you are still under factory warranty it won't be a problem. Then just figure out if it's worth it to you to spend $100 to fix the radio.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:47 PM
NightRida

Fix it yourself!
Peace!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
lane myers

i dount they'll fix it for free, but a good attitude normally goes a long way at a car dealership, they're normally b1tched and yelled at. i'd tell them you bought the extended warranty, and then ask to find out what the problem is, it could be something really simple and quick to fix that a service manager wouldnt charge you for, because you were a nice guy who didnt bust his ***** over a head unit. if that doesnt work, you are out a $100.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:43 PM
ericjackson

replace it all, its **** anyways
Old 09-24-2005, 05:10 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go get a laser head cleaner!!!! hahahhaha. if it works for the radio nothing is blown. just prolly a dirty laser eye not reading in stereo.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:39 PM
danvain

On my way back home tonight, from the Turbonetics open house no less, I noticed the exact same problem with mine. Only difference is I had already made an appt for Sunday with a local stereo shop to upgrade everything anyway...so for me the point is moot. The stock stereo system is crap...think about upgrading it.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:41 PM
The Mike

Originally Posted by lane myers
i dount they'll fix it for free, but a good attitude normally goes a long way at a car dealership, they're normally b1tched and yelled at. i'd tell them you bought the extended warranty, and then ask to find out what the problem is, it could be something really simple and quick to fix that a service manager wouldnt charge you for, because you were a nice guy who didnt bust his ***** over a head unit. if that doesnt work, you are out a $100.
The other side of this coin is that if you're too nice, they will just put you last in line and your service will take forever since they'd rather get the louder people done first than you. Nicer isn't always better. Polite yet firm works best.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:02 PM
lane myers

Originally Posted by The Mike
The other side of this coin is that if you're too nice, they will just put you last in line and your service will take forever since they'd rather get the louder people done first than you. Nicer isn't always better. Polite yet firm works best.
you have a choice where you go dealershipwise. if they dont give you the service you want/like, just tell them you're going somewhere else if you think you're being put last in line. i know if i were a service tech and had some guy b1tching at me, i wouldnt be motivated to work on his car any faster, the ball's in my, court, if he's being a pr1ck, well his car can wait, as long as i want it to. but if some dude has a minor problem, stereo (nothing mechnical), and is being really chill about it, i think i could squeeze him in real quick, besides, the other guy, teh pr1ck, he's been waiting forever already any how, what's another 15 minutes, i dont give a **** about him...
Old 09-24-2005, 07:04 PM
bio911

upgrade the head unit.. the stock one sucks
Old 09-25-2005, 02:45 PM
thrill350z

does anyone think the laser head cleaner would really work?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:04 PM
98intrigue

Guys, this is a common problem amoung the BOSE headunits. Myself and the FGC President have had the same problems. First, my CD player completely stopepd working. It was always read "CD ERROR". At the same time, all radio controls and speakers worked fine. I had the CD player replaced under warranty. A few weeks later, I noticed that when I am listening to CDs the speakers cut out, but everything is fine when the radio is on. So for the past few months, I have been living with the speakers cutting out. A quick fix for when the speakers cut out is to bang on the left side of the headunit. I kid you not, it works!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:40 PM
TampaZ

I had this problem when I first got my Z and it's hilarious that someone else said this but out of frustration one day i hit the left side of the head unit and it came back I was like "holy crap", everytime it cut out which was like once a week I did that and it went back fine again. Finally it got real irritating and I went to the dealer and they gave me a completely new bose headunit no questions asked (might've gotten more lucky then most people) and I haven't had the problem since then. I have no idea what causes it but either keep banging it or try and get a new one. Good luck man!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:07 AM
thrill350z

PROBLEM SOLVED. Props to overZealous1, went to radio shack and got the $10 Laser Head Cleaner and it worked! i guess it was just a dirty eye? i also got a cd cleaner and scratch remover, i guess it was my old dirty scratched up CDs that caused the problem. ThankYou overZealous1, saved me some money and time without a radio bc i spoke to a local shop and an installer and they said its a bad head unit and it would have to be shipped out and would cost at least a couple hundred. But with my warranty im guessing it would only cost $100, again props to overZealous1
Old 09-27-2005, 05:29 AM
AZZGUY

Default CD Player

Originally Posted by 98intrigue
Guys, this is a common problem amoung the BOSE headunits. Myself and the FGC President have had the same problems. First, my CD player completely stopepd working. It was always read "CD ERROR". At the same time, all radio controls and speakers worked fine. I had the CD player replaced under warranty. A few weeks later, I noticed that when I am listening to CDs the speakers cut out, but everything is fine when the radio is on. So for the past few months, I have been living with the speakers cutting out. A quick fix for when the speakers cut out is to bang on the left side of the headunit. I kid you not, it works!
I had a CD stick in my CD Player - hadnt used the player 6 times - I took it to the garage - they replaced it without any charge. I do have the Gold warranty plan - does that make a difference? My 95 Maxima had CD player problems too after using it not too much. It was "skipping" all over the place. Had it replaced once - still soon had problems. Doesnt Nissan know how to buy decent CD players? The Maxima had a Bose in it too. The Z doesnt.