Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how much should i pay for a base model Z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 09:02 PM
krazE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much should i pay for a base model Z?

I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved (like where you live)... but if I could gain any advice, it'd be most appreciated. Especially since I'm not the best bargainer. Thanks in advance.

btw, I was looking to purchase the base-manual transmission.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:16 PM
soulswimmer

Default my .02

I plan on buying a base model very soon. Luckily I have a Nissan dealership owned by a good friend's family in a sales tax free state so I will probably pay close to invoice if not exactly invoice. If this was not the case I stil would not pay msrp at this point : living in a cold climate with a bunch of Z's sitting on dealers lots. I would find out the invoice price of the car I wanted and try and split the difference between that and MSRP. I am not a good nego either so it usually comes down to me just saying no and walking out of dealerships in the past...which is a fairly good tactic as long as the have your phone# to call when they realize you're not coming back. General consensus on board is DONT pay over MSRP at this point... SoCal being a possible exception. Shop around, maybe by time you find car you want it will be first twin-turbo sold! Just say NO to markups, don't negotiate. Go somewhere else. I'll shut up now.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:40 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: my .02

Originally posted by soulswimmer
I plan on buying a base model very soon. Luckily I have a Nissan dealership owned by a good friend's family in a sales tax free state so I will probably pay close to invoice if not exactly invoice. If this was not the case I stil would not pay msrp at this point : living in a cold climate with a bunch of Z's sitting on dealers lots. I would find out the invoice price of the car I wanted and try and split the difference between that and MSRP. I am not a good nego either so it usually comes down to me just saying no and walking out of dealerships in the past...which is a fairly good tactic as long as the have your phone# to call when they realize you're not coming back. General consensus on board is DONT pay over MSRP at this point... SoCal being a possible exception. Shop around, maybe by time you find car you want it will be first twin-turbo sold! Just say NO to markups, don't negotiate. Go somewhere else. I'll shut up now.
check into that, recently (here in Calif and maybe nation wide) the TAX that is Added is done so in the % for the PURCHASERS state, NOT the sellers state. In other words, if you live in a state with SALES TAX, you pay it.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:32 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Base has the least amount of profit in it since it is a bear bones model. Therefore negociating a deal below MSRP will be tougher. Do not, however, pay over MSRP with no dealer added BS.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:44 AM
soulswimmer

Default sales tax

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that anyone could come to Del. and not pay tax. You willpay it I believe when you register in your state...I know they will get you somehow. The cool thing is if you live in a tax-free state and buy in a state with sales tax, you don't have to pay it...I am almost certain. But it all balances in the end because I believe my personal income tax in Delaware is a good bit higher than most places. I guess I should buy a 30k car then right?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
soulswimmer

Default what to pay?

I think there is still around (a little less maybe) $2000 in profit if you pay msrp for base. When I have bought cars in past, I start at invoice, making the assumption that the dealer breaks even at this number. This is not exactly true but its not a bad place to start. So then I tell the dealer that I see no problem with him making $500 on the deal and the dealership making 750-1000. Any dealers out there? Is this average? Above? Below? I figure sell 10-12 cars a month with that profit margin is 60-72k a year. And of course there has to be at least one sucker a month who gets nailed for $3000 in dealer extras. So I hope all you dealers out there can make 80-100k a year while I can still buy my car below msrp. Additionally I would gladly pay a $300 extra for the car if that money meant that the guy I bought it from could make a living selling 10 cars a month instead of 30. I would get better service...phone calls returned, car optioned properly, generally better buying experience, etc etc. To end this thread, I still believe you can pay less than msrp for base if you shop around. I don't see outrageous demand for these cars at this time. Though the demand is high enough that some unscrupulous dealers may still try that line on you. Go somewhere else. Play 2 or 3 dealers off each other. Get them to come down $100 at a time. All IMHO.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in San Diego, and planning on getting a base model at MSRP. A few dealers here are selling them at MSRP. Sales tax here is 7.75%. MSRP being 26,800 which includes destination charge.

Bat™
Old 01-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by Blue Batmobile
I'm in San Diego, and planning on getting a base model at MSRP. A few dealers here are selling them at MSRP. Sales tax here is 7.75%. MSRP being 26,800 which includes destination charge.
Oh? can you tell me which dealers? I "am" going to buy a Z in a month or so..(after Chinese new year). am willing to drive to SD to get one. I would be greatful if you can name some good dealers around that area.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:35 PM
ahhhshucks

I bought my base Z here in Oklahoma....when it was all said and done with I paid a tad bit over 27,000. But I had the dealer put on tint and I got the nissan window etching (serial numbers on your windshield) floor mats, of course your document charges.
excise tax here is 3% something. With my military affidavid(dont think thats spelled right) I paid 920 at the dmv.
So dont pay over msrp, and your 350z will come with floor mats so you are stuck with the 69.00 mats + whatever else the dealer trys to tack on......thats where the bs flag comes up.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:36 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Oh? can you tell me which dealers? I "am" going to buy a Z in a month or so..(after Chinese new year). am willing to drive to SD to get one. I would be greatful if you can name some good dealers around that area.
Mossy Nissan. there are about 4 of those dealers here in San Diego County. Good luck man.

bat™
Old 01-08-2003, 04:38 AM
TriX

I paid $100 over MSRP or at least what my purchase agreement says I did put down some more money tot 5k.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:43 AM
blackS

...I just bought mine. Paid MSRP and got %4.8 financing. Sticker price was roughly $27,150 with splashguards, kickplates, and front and trunk mats and of course destination. Like people said, you may not get under MSRP, but you really shouldn't have to pay anything over. Shop around (I had a really bad experience with another dealer, but decided to try another one, and now I have my Z....
Old 01-08-2003, 07:49 AM
rahilio

i paid
$29,812.00
includes 6.5 % tax and tag
lojack and 75,000 mile ext warranty
kickplates
floor mats
trunk mats
and splash guards
and a 6.00$ dealer fee for lead acid or whatever

i finaced less since i gave 4,000 down
Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Pat1USMC

Default military affidavit

He ahhhshucks, what is this military affidavit you are talking about?
Old 01-08-2003, 10:01 AM
DrCold

Originally posted by rahilio
i paid
$29,812.00
includes 6.5 % tax and tag
lojack and 75,000 mile ext warranty
kickplates
floor mats
trunk mats
and splash guards
and a 6.00$ dealer fee for lead acid or whatever

i finaced less since i gave 4,000 down
Whats a lojack. I know its a security device, but what does it do and how does it work? I've never had any sort of security on my cars and trucks. Not even an alarm.

-DrCold
Old 01-08-2003, 11:55 AM
rahilio

lojack is a tracking device on the car thats hidden lets the cops find the basterd that took the car you need security especialy if you live here
Old 01-08-2003, 12:24 PM
DrCold

Thats pretty cool, how much is one of those. And do you have to pay a monthly fee for it or something (like a tracking service)? Sounds like something i might be interested in.

-DrCold
Old 01-08-2003, 12:40 PM
rahilio

no no monthly fee the device is dead and runs on a battery not on car battery once the car is stolen the police enter your vin into the puter and the device activates emitting a tracking signal

they run about 500 retail installed
Old 01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
TriX

Originally posted by rahilio
no no monthly fee the device is dead and runs on a battery not on car battery once the car is stolen the police enter your vin into the puter and the device activates emitting a tracking signal

they run about 500 retail installed
Where did you get the car? What dealership since I saw you are in Miami.

I ordered mine in Nov and still don't have a VIN or even a customer # I called the dealer a dozen of times. And I know he is lying to me through his ears.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:48 PM
rahilio

maroone nissan in coral gables miracle mile

Quick Reply: how much should i pay for a base model Z?