Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

before and after dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:40 AM
2003z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by xXx
Hmmm I need to find my dyno sheet. Either the shop you're going to is not that good (equipment, tuning, etc.) or you're not using high enough octane. A GOOD, CLEAN run on a dyno should have a smooth line all the way through. Maybe a blip here and there but that's all. His sheet looks like an earthquake hit while it was on the rollers. It definitely shouldn't have spikes up and down the whole way through. Spikes are there to indicate detonation, misfiring, timing retard, etc. You will get some spikes but usually only 2 or 3 if it's running right.
Thats what the tech at the dyno said too. They used a smoothing setting of 3, btw.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:53 AM
McDan

Originally posted by xXx
Hmmm I need to find my dyno sheet. Either the shop you're going to is not that good (equipment, tuning, etc.) or you're not using high enough octane. A GOOD, CLEAN run on a dyno should have a smooth line all the way through. Maybe a blip here and there but that's all. His sheet looks like an earthquake hit while it was on the rollers. It definitely shouldn't have spikes up and down the whole way through. Spikes are there to indicate detonation, misfiring, timing retard, etc. You will get some spikes but usually only 2 or 3 if it's running right.
So you're telling me that every Z I've seen dyno curves for is not running right? Come on. Spikes of power decreases over a large portion of the curve may indicate misfiring etc, but do you really think it's gonna only affect a tenth of a horsepower for 5 (not thousand) rpms? Like I said before, I ran mine on about 95 octane, don't blame everything you don't know on the dynos.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:42 AM
xXx

It's a brand new car with small mods. A dyno bar is NOT supposed to be choppy. Simple fact. Don't get bitter because you know nothing about cars McDan. And like I said it could be the dyno shop's computer software isn't the best around giving that graph but it's not supposed to look like that. Proof is in the pudding his #'s weren't good. Obviously somethings wrong genious.

Oh and BTW, each dash on the side indicating #'s is equivalent to 5hp. That's to the wheels! The largest spike on that graph is a drop of 20 RWHP! I don't know about you but that's friggin huge. The others are around 3-8 rwhp spikes. And 2003Z already stated that the tech at the dyno made similar reference.

Last edited by xXx; 01-08-2003 at 10:21 AM.