2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
LIdrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need to heel toe for normal driving unless powering through a sharp turn. Shouldn't have to heel toe to slow down and come to a stop. Use either Neutral and Brake or just Rev match. Heel toeing all the time would put extra wear on your brake pads and you'll find yourself replacing them more often because the brakes are fighting against you accelerating.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 PM
ppw350Zunit

i do it here and there....i used to do it ALL THE TIME when i had my ae86.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LIdrew
no need to heel toe for normal driving unless powering through a sharp turn. Shouldn't have to heel toe to slow down and come to a stop. Use either Neutral and Brake or just Rev match. Heel toeing all the time would put extra wear on your brake pads and you'll find yourself replacing them more often because the brakes are fighting against you accelerating.
Where not accelerating while braking with heel and toe.

The idea behind using it every day is to gewt better at it. Practice makes perfect !

Pads will wear eventually in any cases.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
jun14scr

Originally Posted by FastZ33
i do. i race a lot. i been trackin racin for 3 yrs. i do it during reg driving as well. and double clutchin
double clutching.. our cars have synchros! i just blip the throttle for a downshift and hell toe slowing down to enter a corner.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM
bimma78

I heel toe and throtle blip all the time. I need the practice.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:35 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

+1

Practice makes good. Yes, you sometimes need to downshift in Solo II...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by jun14scr
double clutching.. our cars have synchros! i just blip the throttle for a downshift and hell toe slowing down to enter a corner.
It feels good to do it. I feel like Bob Bondurant when I do.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

I've been doing that almost since I started driving, I guess it's just second nature now. Although I think lately I've gotten worse at it!!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Heel toeing all the time would put extra wear on your brake pads and you'll find yourself replacing them more often because the brakes are fighting against you accelerating.
Are you trying to heel and toe with an automatic transmission or something? No reason that would wear on your brake pads, unless you're jabbing the brakes when you do it or something to that effect.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kolia
Pretty much all the time. It's becoming second nature, so I can forget about it on the track on concentrate on other stuff...
+1
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Here's another question, when you guys are doing heel and toe, do you actually use your heel to blip the throttle, or are you using the side of your foot? I just roll my foot and use the side, I find myself jabbing the throttle way too hard if I rotate my foot and use my heel. In addition to it being very uncomfortable for me to do that for some reason.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been using the heel and toe technique for probably the better part of 45 years. It just becomes second nature after awhile. I do use the side of my foot rather than the heel. I think the name came from actually using the heel and toe in the 1930's. The pedals were farther apart so the side of the foot couldn't be utilized.

I put new aluminum pedals on the Z because the stock pedals weren't comfortable for heel and toeing.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving-pedals-small-111005.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i need to practice...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
kcobean

I think you misunderstand the function of heel/toe. This method actually conserves brake pad because the engine is doing a portion of the braking...that's one of the reasons race cars do it, it helps keep brake rotor temps down and minimizes pad wear while bringing the car to the proper gear for a corner. Also, "Rev Match" as you say, is best done while braking because it creates the most seamless deceleration.

If your heel/toe is done such that you're braking and accelerating at the same time, you're doing something wrong.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I've been using the heel and toe technique for probably the better part of 45 years. It just becomes second nature after awhile. I do use the side of my foot rather than the heel. I think the name came from actually using the heel and toe in the 1930's. The pedals were farther apart so the side of the foot couldn't be utilized.

I put new aluminum pedals on the Z because the stock pedals weren't comfortable for heel and toeing.

Les
From what I've heard there were race vehicle with the toe on brake and gas on the heel. The name just stuck around but the pedals have changed.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by kcobean
I think you misunderstand the function of heel/toe. This method actually conserves brake pad because the engine is doing a portion of the braking...that's one of the reasons race cars do it, it helps keep brake rotor temps down and minimizes pad wear while bringing the car to the proper gear for a corner. Also, "Rev Match" as you say, is best done while braking because it creates the most seamless deceleration.

If your heel/toe is done such that you're braking and accelerating at the same time, you're doing something wrong.
It is to prevent upseting the balance of the suspension.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:30 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
It is to prevent upseting the balance of the suspension.
right...when it's done properly, the weight loading will be very consistent. The brake pressure and the engine loading should create a fairly linear deceleration graph, which means that the cars weight isn't rocking back and forth (or side to side if you were H/T'ing in a turn for some reason).

I H/T every time I get in the car, just to stay "in practice", and I notice that I increase brake pressure during shifts because the brakes have to work harder while the engine is disengaged to drop to the next lower gear.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:21 PM
angelzhope720

every time i stop
Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 PM
jlvvega

do heel & toe every time you down SHIFT is good exercise and saves your trany as you sound cool!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
JunJTan

it shouldn't wear out your brake if you do heel and toe perfectly, unless you release the clutch too early while you push the gas.

Quick Reply: Does anyone do Heel & Toe on daily driving