Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How much more hp does the 350Z need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an easy question for me to answer. It's because I never really had a passion or hobby before. And after I purchased this car, I wanted to get more involved in cars and to know more about my car. I actually didn't know how important the intake and exhaust system on cars were. I never did stuff to my cars, I always let a garage shop do it, Now I change my own brakes and rotors, I installed all my intake mods. My friend and I tried to install my cat-back.(but had to get a garage to torch a stubbon bolt)

And to ME, that is why I modify my car.

Originally Posted by zland
Interesting, a number of you say the hp is fine. My question then is why are many of you modifying your Z's to get more hp (and it cost a lot to get a small amount of hp out our motors) if the hp is fine?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:51 PM
abcdeddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5,000 Hp!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:51 PM
rmesola

Interesting, a number of you say the hp is fine. My question then is why are many of you modifying your Z's to get more hp (and it cost a lot to get a small amount of hp out our motors) if the hp is fine?
a lot of it is bragging rights... being the fastest out there...

some actually autocross and take it to the track for competition...

for me, it's all about what I want and what makes me happy, I don't care why I want it...
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
shaun_walsh

I think the Z line needs a split like the base vette and z06 or the mustang gt and the saleen mustang. I would like more power and handling in the car. I have spent the money to get that via aftermarket, but I would really like to have the warranty/smog/carb support. if I was the product manager at Nissan, I would keep the base car at 280-300 and keep the price down to drive volume, (that keeps the platfrom important ot the firm) and then turn to Greddy/HKS or someone like that to build a perfromance model.

Shaun

Last edited by shaun_walsh; 01-06-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
pope

i would love the Z to weight 2800 and put 325 to the wheels... that would be perfect for me.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
rotaryrocket7

Weight reduction would be the best benefit...more hp is ok, but as mentioned countless times not totally necessary. Weight reduction also helps more than just straight line speed, which is why most chose a Z I imagine. If you wanted a 1/4 mile car, you'd get something with a V8 and larger displacement. My .02
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun_walsh
I think the Z line needs a split like the base vette and z06 or the mustang gt and the saleen mustang. I would like more power and handling in the car. I have spent the money to get that via aftermarket, but I would really like to have the warranty support. if I was the product manager at Nissan, I would keep the base car at 280-300 and keep the price down to drive volume, (that keeps the platfrom important ot the firm) and then turn to Greddy/HKS or someone like that to build a perfromance model.

Shaun
I agree. Just like mustang (SC version on its way), and Porsche, they have options for those wishing to have increased hp with a warranty. People did not stop buying 6 cyl Mustangs just because they offered more expensive options for those willing to pay for it. Likewise, why not offer a higher hp version of the Z for those willing to pay for it.

IMO, they could offer something inbetween the current 350Z and the future GT-R. At this point, the 350Z is a high 20's to mid 30K sportscar and the GT-R appears to be a 65-70K AWD car. Why not offer a 40-45K Z with 380-400 hp (change the price and hp numbers as you like but you get the idea)?

Last edited by zland; 01-06-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
trackpilot

I agree. Just like mustang (SC version on its way), and Porsche, they have options for those wishing to have increased hp with a warranty. People did not stop buying 6 cyl Mustangs just because they offered more expensive options for those willing to pay for it. Likewise, why not offer a higher hp version of the Z for those willing to pay for it.

IMO, they could offer something inbetween the current 350Z and the future GT-R. At this point, the 350Z is a high 20's to mid 30K sportscar and the GT-R appears to be a 65-70K AWD car. Why not offer a 40-45K Z with 380-400 hp (change the price and hp numbers as you like but you get the idea)?
Exactly! Just like the Mustang GT with 300hp and the new Cobra coming out with around 475hp! I never understood why Nissan didn't offer anything different for the different models of the Z.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by trackpilot
Exactly! Just like the Mustang GT with 300hp and the new Cobra coming out with around 475hp! I never understood why Nissan didn't offer anything different for the different models of the Z.
I know someone will bring up that the 300TT was overpriced and lead to them dropping the Z. Actually, the 300Z was overpriced even without the turbo for the market. My point is other manufactures have successfully marketed a car with several levels of hp to match different markets, why cant Nissan?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Johnny225

Give me 333 hp and a 2700 pound Z and I will be happy for life.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That would divide 350Z owners into two groups based on horsepower. Right now we have Mustang Muscle Car owners (V8) and wannabie Mustang Muscle Car owners (V6). Who would the lesser 350Z apply to? High school girls?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by davidv
That would divide 350Z owners into two groups based on horsepower. Right now we have Mustang Muscle Car owners (V8) and wannabie Mustang Muscle Car owners (V6). Who would the lesser 350Z apply to? High school girls?
The people that can afford to buy it will buy the one with more HP just like those that own Porsches do so....
Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
ken350z

I had a 110hp RX7 in '83 and I thought that was fast. I was wrong.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
MovingViolation

+-1
Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Act of God

eleventy billion hp
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
SeanG

I do believe that is why Nissan is throwing around the concept of a 450Z model.

They introduced the 350 with major sales volume. The sales over the past 3 years has proven that the 350Z is a hit. There has never been much incentive for them to offer an extreme HP model. Now with the 5th year right around the corner, Nissan will up the stakes with a ***** to the wall 450Z or similar model. While still offering the affordable 350Z line.

Infinity will be offering the G35 line, while offering a ***** to the wall Skyline model.

It is a big step to go from a sports car line to none at all. Then start it back up and cover everyone wants and desires all at once.

It sound to me like Nissan knows exactly what they are doing. I will leave it in their hands, they are the ones who have the experience in what to do, and when to do it.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Ep3

Originally Posted by nlsqba
honestly, how many times to you race or drive FAST?

The whole HP war is mostly on paper... I wonder how many new Z06 owners will come close to using only 50% of the cars full potential?
i drive my car 100% of the first three gears at least every time i turn it on.. would do the same with a Z06

as for a new 450Z i dont think the higher hp car should be in a current 350Z bodystyle it should have its own.. completely different.

as for something inbetween the 350 and skyline.. 300-400 isnt much of a big jump as it is... i think nissan better come with at least 500AWHP to think they will get 75K
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
knight_white99

I track my Z regularly. I need all the hp I can get (it would be nice to have maybe 400-450whp). It also needs to lose about 500 pounds.

HOWEVER, for the street, the Z is already adequately powered and I can still scare myself silly anytime I feel the need!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:33 PM
FlorendoCruz
Banned

overall, the Z is perfect when it comes to speed, looks, and handling. If the dealer was to ever pump up the speed, than that also hurts our wallet. I wonder how much for $ if they was to ever crank the HP.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
andrew

A lot of good points on this thread. The 350Z is a great looking car with terrific performance and handling AS IS, and at a good price. Nevertheless, I think it would be foolish of Nissan to rest on its laurels of achievement and not press forward with the Z. It is the nature of the auto industry to meet the changing needs of its consumers and of the times. Ideally, they don’t want to keep up with the competition but surpass it. They cannot stand still (with few exceptions like the 1st decades of the VW bug). They want to achieve the highest level of sales possible in that class to ensure profit. Competition is growing and if the Z doesn’t press forward, it will fall back (in sales anyway), IMHO. I am not denying that the Z is a great car as is!

For me to trade in the car for another Z (which I‘m sure Nissan would like to see), it would definitely require more hp and torque (without added weight if possible, but I‘m dreaming now). For now, at least in the neighborhood of 50hp would convince me its time to trade up (I‘m hoping for ‘07). If Nissan offered a higher end model of the Z as suggested, that would be Awesome.

Quick Reply: How much more hp does the 350Z need?