MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Engine expert's advise for engine break-in: Hows it sound? (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/17825-engine-experts-advise-for-engine-break-in-hows-it-sound.html)

Daytona Blue Z in Bo 01-28-2003 07:39 AM

Engine expert's advise for engine break-in: Hows it sound?

I know for the most part engine break-in methods are objective but this sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I have a good friend that owns a foreign auto shop that specializes in engine rebuilds and engines peroid and has been working with engines for about 20 years.. He has a huge contract with the local Toyota and Mitsubishi dealers and he does all there rebuilds and deals with all there engine issues. He aslo attends tech meetings once a year on new engine technology.. He has done all my engine work on my previous car my eclipse GST including engine boring and turbo replacement. Basically he gave me this advise for a good sports car engine break-in:

He calls this method "stretching the engine"

Rule 1:
Never bog the engine, meaning don't ever power shift short like WOT to 4K and shift --> WOT 4K shift.. He says this puts lots of wear and strain on a new engine.

Rule 2:
Always warm your car up for at least 30 secs to a min depending on tempature

Rule 3:
Don't go for long drives at one engine RPM, it should be varied as much as possible

Phase 1 (0-500 miles)
-Take it easy shifting 95% under 4000 but be sure to use most of the RPM range but not more than 5K
-Oil change at 500 with reg oil

Phase 2 (500-1200)
-Take it easy shifting 95% under 4000 but use most of the RPM range but no more than 5500-6000
-Oil change at 1000-1200 with reg oil

Phase 3 (1200+)
-See what that baby's got
-Mobil 1 (or your fav brand) at 3500-4000miles.

Most of this is standard stuff but I am following this as best as possible, I am at 650 Miles and all is going well. He says this is the best way to break-in a high tech well tuned engine such as the VQ35 and will result in a high compression (more power) and extended engine life. I have a lot of trust in this guy and I would like some input from fellow Z drives about this..

WayneTN 01-28-2003 07:49 AM

sounds good to me

This is basically what I'm doing. I agree 100%, except that I haven't yet decided whether I'm going with Mobil 1 or not.

Which brand of "regular oil" does he recommend during break-in and during continued service (if synthetic isn't used)?

Uh, oh. Now we're gonna get all those guys who say we're gonna ruin our engine by treating it so respectful.........:rolleyes:

Thanks,
WayneTN

Daytona Blue Z in Bo 01-28-2003 07:54 AM

Haha.. Well I only live once, I am not usually a "by the book" kinda guy. He suggested Vavoline but he said the important thing is that its regular oil, its not going to be in the car for long enough to get burnt or browned anyway its just to transport break-in materals into the oil pan at the end of the phases and allows the engine to break-in properly by not having the ultra slick synth.

WayneTN 01-28-2003 08:21 AM

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
He suggested Vavoline but he said the important thing is that its regular oil, its not going to be in the car for long enough to get burnt or browned anyway its just to transport break-in materals into the oil pan at the end of the phases and allows the engine to break-in properly by not having the ultra slick synth.
OK, now to be clear. If I don't use Mobil 1 and wish to continue to use regular oil after 1,200 miles and from now on, he suggests people use Valvoline, based on his experience?

Thanks,
WayneTN

Daytona Blue Z in Bo 01-28-2003 08:41 AM

He says Vavoline is his reg oil of choice, and Mobil 1 is his synth oil of choice. He says for the Z to use reg oil till 3500-4000 miles and Mobil 1 or your fav synth oil after. But Vavoline would be his reg oil choice if he was to use reg.

ZThang 01-28-2003 10:05 AM

First oil change at 500 miles?? Isn't that a little soon? My dealer didn't tell me to get one until the first 3000 miles....when are we supposed to get the first oil change??

WayneTN 01-28-2003 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
He says Vavoline is his reg oil of choice, and Mobil 1 is his synth oil of choice. He says for the Z to use reg oil till 3500-4000 miles and Mobil 1 or your fav synth oil after. But Vavoline would be his reg oil choice if he was to use reg.
OK, thanks DBZ.

WayneTN

hyuk81 01-02-2005 01:49 PM

my instructor for engine repair at my school (who was in the business for over 30 years as an automotive machinist) says that most engines which are manufactured these days are already broken in...