2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

ZAINO study now underway

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ZAINO study now underway

I have just completed the first few steps in the long and difficult Zaino process. It is now 12:30 AM and I started at 8:00 PM (4 and a half hours in so far)

I washed the car with Dawn, dried it, used the clay bar on it, rinsed it, washed it with Dawn again, dried it, put on a coat of the Z6 gloss enhancer, wiped it off, put on the Z5 polish with the ZFX enhancer (makes the drying time a lot faster), and wiped it off.

I'm going to bed now but in the morning I'll pic it up from where I left off. I hope to have it done by Saturday 7/6/02. When done, I'll post pics.

A tired and sweaty Dr. B signing off!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:37 PM
phattyaltnatl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well DAAAAAAMM!!!!

I hope it doesn't rain a lot where you are. I'd be PISSED to do all that, just to have it rain the next 2-3 days!!
Old 07-05-2002, 04:25 PM
mdouvris

Default Way to go doc!

Im glad you got back to it Doc! I was worried that you were letting work get into the way of the wax experiment. How long did it take you to do the clay bar part? What did you do with it exactly? I can't wait to see the pics! Thanks again
Old 07-05-2002, 07:04 PM
ITZBITZ

Originally posted by phattyaltnatl
Well DAAAAAAMM!!!!

I hope it doesn't rain a lot where you are. I'd be PISSED to do all that, just to have it rain the next 2-3 days!!
Spoken like a person who doesn't use Zaino...

After I'm done with Zaino on my car, the first thing I do is wash it again (or get it rained on, whatever). Then I can dry it and apply a fresh coat of Z6 gloss enhancer for an even deeper shine, plus I've gotten rid of any excess polish residue.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:07 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Hey Doc,

Very much looking forward to the results and to your impressions..never heard of Zaino before this forum...guess I've been out of touch with the car scene for more years than I care to admit..been thinking about it for the Z..this will really help with my decision..have looked at their site in the past but still can't figure out this "Clay Bar" thing..
Old 07-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Default The Experiment Continues...

Well, I'm taking a break on the Zaino process. As I stated earlier, I am Zaino-ing my 1992 Dodge Stealth TT. So far, very good. My impression of the stuff is overall very favorable. The actual on and off process is extremely easy. I've used about a dozen different products on this car (Mother's, Maguire's, Autofom, California, Zymol to name the more popular ones) and this stuff is by far the easiest to put on and take off. The problem (if you want to call it that) is that to get the so called "dazzling" end result, you have to do SO MANY layers.

I am following a protocol that I got from a guy that claimed to be a Zaino expert. He posted pics of several of his cars and they were simply amazing. His were the ones that looked like pictures of himself and his garage but he was shooting them by aiming his camera at his car!

Right now, I am waiting for the 4th coat of Z5 to dry. After that I will use the Z6 once again and finally the Z3 polish (normally you'd use Z2 polish but my Stealth has very "old" non-clear coat paint and they recommend the Z3 instead). I should be done after that and I'll post the pics. You can put on a lot more but I'm stopping at 4 coats since you aren't really suppose to put on more in a 24 hour period. The guy who mailed me his protocol says he has over 35 coats on his cars!!

As for the Z18 Claybar. I have enclosed a picture of it below. It is basically just that....a lump of yellow clay. You use it kind of like a "Brillo Pad" on the car after you wash with Dawn. You need to use some kind of lubricant when you do it. They recommend the Z7 car wash to do this but since I don't have that (yet) I used a couple drops of Dawn in a spray bottle of water and kept squirting the surface as I used the clay. As you continue with the clay you must knead it and pull it apart to keep a fresh surface exposed so as to avoid scratching the car with junk you have already removed. It glides over the car really easily and it almost feels like you're not doing anything but when you rinse it with a hose and look at a clayed vs an unclayed part of the car, you see that it really is stripping off all the old wax. The water beads up big time on the un-clayed part and it runs off the clayed part.

Anyway....it's back to work now. Below is the clay. Keep posting any questions or comments and I'll be back later on today......
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-claybar.jpg  

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 10-31-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:58 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always used the polish lock first, hence Z1. I would ask Zaino if this is correct. Also if you use the ZFX you dont have to use the Z1. Let me know what you find out. This bothers me.

Also I was warned not to use more than 3 coats when using ZFX.

I am not telling you how to do it but I would not want you to mess anything up and consider the whole process a waste of time.

Last edited by VandyZ; 07-05-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:03 PM
rai

when is it recommended to start the Zaino treatment on a new car such as a Z?
Old 07-05-2002, 08:05 PM
VandyZ

ASAP!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:41 PM
Brad4rdHay

If you try to apply more tha three coats in one sitting, they wont adhere (on molecular level) to each other properly and will be dificult to remove...
Old 07-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Thanks everyone. I'm just going by what this guy told me and his results seem to be pretty good. He gave me the simplest "cook-book" way of doing it. The Zaino website isn't quite as clear on the steps etc.

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 07-05-2002 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:24 PM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Dr Bonz when you are done, if you are happy with the results can you make the protocal available to others?
Old 07-05-2002, 10:19 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by NiZZan
Dr Bonz when you are done, if you are happy with the results can you make the protocal available to others?
Here is what Zaino recommends.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Tips and tricks:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/tips.htm

Product descriptions:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm

(Including info on Z1)
Old 07-05-2002, 10:39 PM
bigone

Does anyone have experience with any other of the Zaino products?

such as the leather, plastic and tire products? how do they stack up?
Old 07-05-2002, 10:50 PM
VandyZ

Everything they sell is impressive. It just depends on your tastes for the inside. I like the stuff. It leaves a nice finish, smells great, and lasts longer. IMO!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

For those wondering if the clay bar is really worth it, try this simple test.

Take a piece of celophane that is normally used for th kitchen and wrap it around your index finger. Now, smoothly run your finger along your waxed car and you will most likely feel all kinds of small deposits your unwrapped fingers wouldn't feel.

Try this after the use of the clay bar and you WILL notice a difference between a portion that hasn't been "clayed" and one that has.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Default The results are in!!

Well, I'm finally done. I took a couple poster's suggestions (and that of the Zaino website) and only did three coats.

It really does look VERY good.

I will post the protocol the guy sent me verbatim.

After the Dawn and the claybar (as I posted above) here is what I did:

Z-6 gloss enhancer
Z-5 with the ZFX (makes it dry a lot faster)
Z-6
Z-5
Z-6
Z-5
Z-6
Z-3 Polish (supposedly more "optically pure" than the Z-5 and as a final polisher) They recommend you use this (or the Z-2 in place of the Z-3 for clear coated cars) as a last layer of polish.
Then finally one last coat of Z-6

It really does shine better than ANY of the other waxes/polishes I have ever used. It is A LOT of work though!

On a scale of 1-5 (one being easiest and 5 being the hardest) here is how I rate the different products I used:

Z-17 Claybar: 3 (it isn't physically that hard, just takes a long time as you can only do small areas at a time and you have to keep squirting lubricant and rinsing it off as you go)

Z-6: 1 This stuff was INCREDIBLY easy and FAST to use. Spray, and wipe. Smells good too. Kind of like cherries.

Z-5: 2 You wipe it on from side to side (not circular) let it dry about 30 mins. then rub it out.

Z-3: 3 You do the same with this as the Z-5 but it takes a little more rubbing to get it off.

Total time of the project was about 12 hours of actual work with about 2-3 hours of waiting for the 5 and 3 to dry.

OK, so here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-hi-res-stealth-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 07-06-2002 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Number 2:
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-hi-res-stealth-3-copy.jpg  
Old 07-06-2002, 01:56 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Number 3:
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-hi-res-rear-copy.jpg  
Old 07-06-2002, 01:58 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Number 4: I like how it takes on a LIQUID kind of look here.
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-liquid-copy.jpg