Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This noob has questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 07:18 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wassup man. I already talked to you about 1 and 4, so Ill let other people give you other opinions, but 2 and 3

the stock tires pretty much blow across the board. they claim to be "all season" but they arent, they do ok in hot temps and rain, but snow and cold temps slaughter them, many Zs have crashed from this. blizzaks however seem to make the car quite drivable in snow. and any other tread will work better in cold temps.

and 3. apparently you can pop the handle off the car and open it somehow... not sure on specifics, but there is an immobilizer on the car and a factory alarm. without a flatbed they probably wont be getting the car anywhere. but as any car, they can either open it through the handle, or smash a window and take things in the car.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ares
they claim to be "all season" but they aren't.
Actually they claim to be SUMMER times. They never claimed to be all season. They are crap. I have Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires and they work pretty well in the snow compared to the stock tires. Look here for tire details:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=ASAP

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-02-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:24 PM
zogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: This noob has questions...

I like everything about the car

Doesn't drive to well in the snow

I have seen one case of jealousy

You shouldn't pay more than msrp, if you look around, you can find them for 1k under.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:30 PM
ares
Veteran

nope I drove an SI once, but it wasnt stock tread, and I didnt get on it much anyway, I can tell ya the Zs a tad quicker tho.

you were lookin at touring. guessing you want manual then. which has VDC. it hauls it in pretty good. barring something really crazy, it will stop you from kicking the back end out in turns or in straight away.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Omega350Z

Yep, my only beef with teh car is the crappy quality of the tires in winter weather, its been pretty damn nice in chicago so far this year, but we did have one bad day of snow and it turned my usual 20-25 minute drive home into about an hour. I was literally holding up traffic behind me because the tcs would stay on so much and not let the engine run, and the car would literally not get itself over 15 miles per hour if it couldnt come in contact with the pavement. Regardless, i made it home in 1 piece, and i had no trouble in doing so and this was my first winter with a rwd car. I wouldnt care to make it a regular thing but i think if you use common sence in crappy conditions youll be fine.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:11 PM
EnthusiastZ

The Z is not a daily driver winter car period. It is a sports car. If you live in harsh climates and need a daily driver then buy an Audi or something.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EnthusiastZ
The Z is not a daily driver winter car period. It is a sports car. If you live in harsh climates and need a daily driver then buy an Audi or something.
I disagree. I live in New York (Long Island) and drive my Z daily with no problems. I installed all season tires. On the few days it snows more than a couple of inches, I don't drive my Z for the day until the roads are cleared. Not a big deal.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 AM
justwant1

Lito,

First off, the stock tires on the Z are not all season tires and are not claimed to be for all seasons, they are definitly summer/3 season tires. I live in the Chicago area, and like where you live we are plagued with snow. I put winter tires on and they are great, couldn't be happier with them. As for all season tires, no one has found them for 18" rims, only 17" rims. So if you opt for all season tires, you might want a Z with 17" rims, less cost in the long run, you don't have to buy new rims. Other than that, the car is great, no complaints.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:07 AM
justwant1

Omega350Z

I hear ya and feel for you. I didn't want to even chance that happening, so I went out and got winter tires and they are great. Last week during the snow, my commute was the same as with out snow. Car handled great!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 AM
justwant1

Lito,

Correct. If you want a Touring and the 6MT it will come with 18" rims. You can always replace them with 17" rims, but if you are like me and others on the board, part of the reason for getting the 6MT are the 18" rims.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:46 AM
justwant1

Don't know, but it might be worth asking.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:04 AM
ares
Veteran

the 18s sell for around 1000$, Id imagine you could buy 17s of someone for a good bit less maybe 700$? check out ebay or classified.

or just get a second set of rims. whichever.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Raptor303

I didn't change the 17" wheels. I'm having the dealer put Pilot Sport A/S tires on the Track 18s. We used one of those calculators and came up with a tire size that came within 1% of the stock diameter. Best of all, the dealer agreed to throw the tires in free of charge.

Quick Reply: This noob has questions...