Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

help! is VDC really needed for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Miko
This is understandable in the snow. But driving in the rain, when i made a turn, i really had to *punch* it to get the tail moving lol...maybe it was just me, but i've hardly driven in the rain with the z; oh, and TCS was off, just to test it out
With time, you'll be able to kick the rear out on the dry at pretty much any speed
Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
youngZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh so many different POV's...
I'm like 50/50 right now
Old 05-04-2006, 02:31 PM
BrianV

Ok someone please help me understand;

I had an 04 G35 6Mt with VDC and now I have an 04 350Z Roadster 6MT with TCS (not VDC).

With the G35 if you had any spin in the tires it would kick VDC in. I personally thought it kicked it in WAY too often. It did work well, but you couldn't even shift decently hard without it making your car come to a complete hault. I had to remember to turn it off if I ever wanted to accelerate to 60 in less than say 8 seconds. In addition, if you'd come out of a driveway and get the back end to slip a little, it quickly corrected you from that.

Now I've only driven the Roadster like 350 miles and it seems I can accelerate more rapidly without TCS kicking in. However, once from 1st to 2nd it kicked in It did feel like it was using the brakes to keep the car from spinning.

I only got the tail slighlty happy once and nothing happened but it wasn't a situation where I think any TCS/VDC should kick in (too mild).

So what exactly does TCS monitor and how does it respond. VDC senses slip and just starts slamming the brakes on different wheels to put you back straight. How does TCS work?

Thx
Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianV
Doesn't the enthusiast have TCS which essentially prevents tail swing.

My understand is that VDC helps correct things when your whole car is sliding out of control. For just tail-swing stuff, TCS prevents that.
TCS prevents your wheels from spinning. VDC prevents your car from sliding.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
streetracer

Originally Posted by youngZ33
Does nissan dealerships offer a full detail on your car if you bring it in and pay cash?
A financial advisor or stock broker would be horified after what you have just said.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Armitage
TCS prevents your wheels from spinning. VDC prevents your car from sliding.
If I may permit myself to add...

TCS monitors the wheels speeds and compare the fronts vs the rears to know if the rear wheels are about to spin. It allows a certain amount of speed difference (beyond the OEM wheel stagger) before acting on the throttle and ignition to reduce torque. It will also up shift the AT.

VDC also monitors wheels speed and act in the same way as the TCS. In addition it monitors the steering angle and deduces the slip angle of the front wheels (via the yaw sensor near the shifter) to detect under or over steer situations. It will react to it by applying brakes to the outside front wheel (over steer) or the inner rear (under steer) to bring the car in the direction the steering is pointing. VDC is also linked to the ABLS (Active BRake Limited Slip) and will aid the LSD to distribute power to the rear wheel with the most grip.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

I would not drive a 350Z in the snow.

If you buy a 350Z with an automatic transmission, only the GT version comes with VDC. The Enthusiast and the Touring models come with TCS.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:39 PM
youngZ33

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
I would not drive a 350Z in the snow.

If you buy a 350Z with an automatic transmission, only the GT version comes with VDC. The Enthusiast and the Touring models come with TCS.
doesnt touring coming with vdc...?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 AM
BrianV

Originally Posted by Kolia
If I may permit myself to add...

TCS monitors the wheels speeds and compare the fronts vs the rears to know if the rear wheels are about to spin. It allows a certain amount of speed difference (beyond the OEM wheel stagger) before acting on the throttle and ignition to reduce torque. It will also up shift the AT.

VDC also monitors wheels speed and act in the same way as the TCS. In addition it monitors the steering angle and deduces the slip angle of the front wheels (via the yaw sensor near the shifter) to detect under or over steer situations. It will react to it by applying brakes to the outside front wheel (over steer) or the inner rear (under steer) to bring the car in the direction the steering is pointing. VDC is also linked to the ABLS (Active BRake Limited Slip) and will aid the LSD to distribute power to the rear wheel with the most grip.
So TCS doesn't use the brakes at all? It kicked in on me once and it was way to violent to not be brakes.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 AM
youngZ33

blah.. haha

to all the touring ppl... leather/bose/heated seats = worth it or no?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by BrianV
So TCS doesn't use the brakes at all? It kicked in on me once and it was way to violent to not be brakes.
I couldn't find any mention of the TCS system using the rear brakes in the Nissan documents I have.

Ignition cut is pretty efficient.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
dantez

Default Traction Control?

I drive a base model Z. I have no problems at all in the rain. You have to drive pretty stupid to get the tail to swing in the rain, the Z just loves to hold unless you go open throttle on a turn. In the snow/ice however I only attempted to move the car out of the driveway and into the garage. Wow... terrible. I admit snow tires would have helped, but I have a jeep wrangler for days like that. I would suggest to get the VDC if you are coming off of an AWD. I've driven a few subies (Legacy GT, STi) in bad snow and it's a different beast, she doesn't just help out she takes over.

I live in CT so if your winters are anything like ours and I wouldn't drive the car in the winter. I'm actually more worried about other drivers hitting me.

But, I grew up with RWD:
'82 Jeep Cherokee
'70 Dodge Dart Slant 6
'84 Camaro 5.0
'87 IROC-Z28 5.7
'80 Corvette 5.7 bored .50 over
'88 Jeep Wrangler
'90 300ZX Stage III
and now the '04 Z
Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by youngZ33
doesnt touring coming with vdc...?
A Touring model with a manual transmission has VDC. A Touring model with an automatic transmission has TCS.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 PM
youngZ33

thanks for all the info guys ! and opinions... i have almost a week till i get the Z
Old 05-08-2006, 12:54 AM
hidehide

Originally Posted by Miko
This is understandable in the snow. But driving in the rain, when i made a turn, i really had to *punch* it to get the tail moving lol...maybe it was just me, but i've hardly driven in the rain with the z; oh, and TCS was off, just to test it out
I slide with a 3500rpm shift from 1st to 2nd while turning in the rain.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:19 PM
3five0_GT

I went over some metro railings or tracks - metro is kind of like a train, electrical though . Those in southern california should know what I'm talking about. Well, the VDC kicked in and my throttle almost went dead. I didn't know what the hell was going on. I'm glad I didn't panic, being the second day I had my baby. My girlfriend didn't notice it, but man I think my heart skipped a beat. When you turn TCS off, it reads literally on the cluster. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only have the TCS button, but in the manual it says it uses the same switch. I thought I turned it off at one point, But notice the TCS off was not displaying in the cluster. Is it possible the system restarted itself when I turned on the engine?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by 3five0_GT
I went over some metro railings or tracks - metro is kind of like a train, electrical though . Those in southern california should know what I'm talking about. Well, the VDC kicked in and my throttle almost went dead. I didn't know what the hell was going on. I'm glad I didn't panic, being the second day I had my baby. My girlfriend didn't notice it, but man I think my heart skipped a beat. When you turn TCS off, it reads literally on the cluster. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only have the TCS button, but in the manual it says it uses the same switch. I thought I turned it off at one point, But notice the TCS off was not displaying in the cluster. Is it possible the system restarted itself when I turned on the engine?
TCS and VDC will always be ON when you start the engine.

You have to cancel it each time.