Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

General 6spd Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
350zroadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if you take your time, of course everything is going to be smoother. But if you want to drive normally with a constant acceleration, then you have to shift when it's about 3-4k rev.

When are you shifting anyways???
Old 07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
UltraYellow350z

Between 3-4k. Just normal driving
Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
350zroadster

I've got nothing then, good luck.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
UltraYellow350z

Thanks for the help

I think im just expecting it to accelerate quicker while staying smooth.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zroadster
Well, if you take your time, of course everything is going to be smoother. But if you want to drive normally with a constant acceleration, then you have to shift when it's about 3-4k rev.

When are you shifting anyways???
There is no such thing as constant acceleration while shifting. Even automatics don't accelerate constantly. Even F1 cars take a few hundred ms to shift. You can't acccelerate if you're not in a gear(unless some other force is acting on you and that doesn't very well count).

I wish there was a way to drive faster (accelerate) while keeping it smooth.
You can drive faster and still be smooth, it just takes some practice. I thought you were more concerned with just daily driving not spirited driving. If you want accelerate to high RPM and still be smoooooth you just have to wait a little longer, which can make it a little trickier. But it's still the same. An aftermarket lightweight clutch/fly setup can help speed your shifts up. Our dual mass flywheel is a bit on the heavy side.

If I'm driving fast I speed shift. I don't shift at 3-4k RPM if I'm trying to drive fast.

Here, I'll demonstrate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlplMxq7QO0
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
UltraYellow350z

Well I guess for my Daily driving I tend to like to accelerate fast once the light turns green. Kind of trying to get to speed limit as soon as possible while shifting at 3k. I did that on my automatic (tiptronic) previously which is how this question basically got brought up.

I want to watch your video but im at work and its blocked so I will watch it when I get home. Im sure its just practice like you said. The amount of time to wait inbetween seems like feeling that is unexplainable by words.

Do automatics ease on the gas before shifting or they do something else? As I understand they don't have a clutch to slip.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
xNeo

I should've gotten a manual but thats another story for another thread...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
350zroadster

Originally Posted by roast
There is no such thing as constant acceleration while shifting. Even automatics don't accelerate constantly. Even F1 cars take a few hundred ms to shift. You can't acccelerate if you're not in a gear(unless some other force is acting on you and that doesn't very well count).
Well you can, CVT.

But the point was that people's heads are bobing because the acceleration isn't constant. Even if you can't make it constant, the more consistant it is, the more comfortable the drive is.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z
The amount of time to wait inbetween seems like feeling that is unexplainable by words.
Exactly. It's all about feel. Feel comes with experience, and experience comes with practice. The more you drive the better you should get a feel for it....

Do automatics ease on the gas before shifting or they do something else? As I understand they don't have a clutch to slip.
Autos actually have a series of clutches, I think the Z's auto tranny has 5 clutches, but youre right the driver can't slip them like with a manual. Autos also use a torque converter to keep from stalling the engine while at a stop. The way autos actually shift is a pretty complex topic.

If you want to know more about autos I suggest http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm

Originally Posted by 350zroadster
Well you can, CVT.
No you cannot. Read what I said again. If you are not in gear you cannot accelerate. With a CVT (which stands for continuously variable transmission), when you are in drive you are constantly in gear, so while accelerating there is never a time that you aren't in gear to prevent you from accelerating. Besides the Z does not have a CVT and it's totally a moot point.

But the point was that people's heads are bobing because the acceleration isn't constant. Even if you can't make it constant, the more consistant it is, the more comfortable the drive is.
It doesnt have anything to do with "consistant" acceleration. Of course constant acceleration would be smooth, but that is not a reality in our cars. Being smooth is a result of practice and experience. You don't have to accelerate constantly to be smooth. Gradual inputs are key.

Last edited by roast; 07-31-2006 at 09:43 PM.