Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
dkorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it necessary to go synthetic?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
nator's z

1000 miles here, straight up Mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 AM
davidf

No it is not, and going synthetic with hardly no miles is not really something I would do considering the piston rings have to seat. This could be a factor as why so many Z's consume oil, because they're not broken in properly with the proper oil. Also 3000 mile oil change intervals on NA cars is a waste of money and good oil. Trust me you are not helping that engine at all with 3000 mile changes. 1st oil change at 3000 miles with regular oil, then at 8000 should be your next with syn. if you choose and from there on at every 5000.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 AM
dkorr

is it necessary to go synthetic? cuz its not in the manual
Old 08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

sythetic will make a little power due to less friction. you could run sythentic at first oil change. alot of cars come factory filled w/ synthetic (my corvette) did. you do not want to run syn if your car has any oil leaks though, as it will start leaking more.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by idwin
sythetic will make a little power due to less friction. you could run sythentic at first oil change. alot of cars come factory filled w/ synthetic (my corvette) did. you do not want to run syn if your car has any oil leaks though, as it will start leaking more.
will it give me 5hp at least?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:23 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

? ive seen a firebird gain 6 w/ all fluids changed to syn, motor/trans/diff. back to back dynos, since then ive been sold. i would think you'd at least gain 1 or 2 but hey everything helps, it's the protection that counts
Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobile1 5w-30 @ 1500 miles. 4000 miles later and still no burned off oil.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
mikeg8r

since nobody seems to have a good answer to the question why one should wait to switch to synthetic, I thought I would ask the internet, here's what it told me why there's no need to wait:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx
http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~jkrane/cars/synth_survey.html
http://www.autoeducation.com/autosho...l-change-1.htm
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...3571251.column

I didn't bother showing links to pages that told me that I should wait because none of them could tell me why I should wait other than quoting the conventional wisdom that says one should wait. It seems most of the "CW" warns about switching, saying things like don't do it until the car is broken in, but never says why. It carries the ear mark of every good urban legend -- "I knew a friend who..." or "I was told by..." . Most of the sites with "hard facts" say it is no big deal and give you lots of reason's why. So believe what you wanna believe.

I switched at my first oil change and haven't had any problems. My wife's car (BMW-Mini Cooper S) came with synthetic and recommended oil changes are every 10,000 mi.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM
dubbzdiggler

Use Mobil 1
Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Spec_Tacular

The oil the car has from the factory has aditives for the break in of the motor so just wait till your first oil change.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
The oil the car has from the factory has aditives for the break in of the motor so just wait till your first oil change.
You know that sounds correct (and logical) but I'm having a hell of a time confirming it. Do you have a source for that info? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:10 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
That's a myth.

In fact, many manufacturers install synthetic at the factory, especially in hiohg perfromance vehicles.

You can switch to synthetic anytime.

"One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 08-30-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Bananax

Mercedes, BMW, and many other high performance car manufacturers install synthetic at the factory and there is no problem breaking-in with synthetic oils.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:31 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by bailey bill
That's a myth.

In fact, many manufacturers install synthetic at the factory, especially in hiohg perfromance vehicles.

You can switch to synthetic anytime.

"One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor."

bill
The question was regarding whether or not additives are actually added not if a car required a break-in period. Additives can be just as easily added to synthetic oil as to convetional oil.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Bananax

Any official proof about additives? not someone said that... stuff.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:05 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by mikeg8r
The question was regarding whether or not additives are actually added not if a car required a break-in period. Additives can be just as easily added to synthetic oil as to convetional oil.

Read the highlighted section.

Modern machining and assembly procedures make break-in unnecessary. There is no such thing as "factory break-in oil".

bill
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Read the highlighted section.

Modern machining and assembly procedures make break-in unnecessary. There is no such thing as "factory break-in oil".

bill
Um, yeah, I read that, but we're talking about the 350z here and it aint on that list. My owner's manual also says that I should break in my vehicle so I would advise going with that over the generic copy provided by mobile 1 that says I don't need to. If you read my post earlier you would see that I already posted that mobile 1 link and that I think sythetic oil is great. My question to Spec_Tacular is where did he get that information about additives in the oil from the Nissan factory. Bill, do you happen to be a nissan engineer and can definitively say one way or the other?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:56 AM
ken350z

How does synthetic oil do with turbos or SC? Too hot?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by mikeg8r
Bill, do you happen to be a nissan engineer and can definitively say one way or the other?
No, just a generic mechanical engineer tht spent about 30 years designing and maintaining industrial machinery, much of it in the auto industry.

bill

Quick Reply: How May Mile Before Synthetic Oil