achoooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang!
How did u drive?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
daz311x

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
My DTE usually reads 402 after a fill up.
mine says 360. i only get around 18 mpg and i drive pretty easy. i want to get high mileage like the rest of you guys
Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Long road trips, cruise control on around 70mph or so, I've knocked on the door of 30mpg.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:15 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by savvy
what the crap i have never seen over 25 and thats all highway no very fast driving....i hate life
in my experience i found that on a flat straightaway with CC at ~70 mph, I can get between 29.8-30.4 mpg (computer). anything over 70 mph will result in less economy. i also keep tabs on my air pressure religiously at 38 psi on all 4 tires.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:24 AM
xfactor1315

i use to get 19.6 when i was driving like a crazy man daily on the autobahn but now back stateside i get 22.3 and on my last roadtrip i got well over 400 to a tank and i want even bone dry.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:26 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by kaybee650
well from one of my friends i met at the track, he said that when the light turns on and when its acutally empty he drove 127 miles, jus to see, he had a gas container in his car.. i have driven 90 miles when the light turned on. so 127 miles seems true. plus when i did that i got 18.5 gallons filled to the brim.
thats good to know. My previous car was a Civic and when the light went on you had ~2 gallons and I ran out of gas which made me pretty paranoid. its strange for me to keep driving with the gas light on and the "---" yelling/blinking away at me for me for 75-150 more miles! I haven't seen one posting from anyone on this site (all other threads) who has filled more than 19 gallons at the pump.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Total miles driven: 442 miles @26 mpg
I ALMOST get HALF that milage ... 12.9 mpg
Old 09-29-2006, 06:38 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by Beagle_Z
Yo Postman! I run up and down I-205 (Vancouver to Clackamas) about once a week and I generaly set the CC at 65 MPH as soon as I hit the freeway before crossing the Glen Jackson. Going down the I-205 bridge (downward slope) I hit about 38 to 40 MPG's (according to the trip computer) and it drops to about 30.1 on level land along 205. If there is a slight rise (coming around Rocky Butte for example) it drops to about 24/25. I watch it like a hawk (again the CC is always on to maximize my mileage) and I have noticed a consistent overall average of 27/28 on the highway at 65. I've had the car since March. I have to take Hwy 212 into work and I just use the gas pedal as normal once off the 205, and at 45 miles per hour, if I make all the lights along 212, I get dang near 29/30. So far the overal mileage (combined city/freeway which is about 25% city/75% freeway) I'm getting 25+. I'm quite happy with the mileage on such a high horsepower vehicle. My other cars for example, a 1974 Porsche 914 (2.0 liter/95HP/2200LBs) gets about 30 on the hwy, and our 1996 Suzuki X90 (1.6 liter/95HP/2400 LBs) gets about 29/30 consistently. For a car that is almost half again heavier, has 3 times (3 TIMES!) the power and takes a ding of about 1 mile per gallon, I can't complain. Now I gotta wonder if you work out in Clack? There are quite a few Z's out by the golf course and I sure enjoy looking for my fellow Z owners every day out on the road. Ahh, I forgot to say, I generaly fill up once the needle hits the halfway mark. She takes about 8 gallons and I usualy show just over 200 miles on the odometer, so that confirms the trip computers 25+ estimate. And..for those interested because of the fuel valve problems, my needle goes straigt up above the 'full' hash mark. She's an '06 Interlagos fire GT Coupe. See ya around Portland!
hey beagle, 38-40 mpg? wow thats awesome. the closest I got was 30.4 mpg hopping immediately onto 26 from an exit. I commute from Forest Grove and use CC all the time especially with the heavy patrols on 26 (no more than 63-64 mph max on CC). I commute to Wilsonville and to Clackamas on 205. Do you know if 205 is heavily patrolled at night? I haven't seen too many during days. I'm a Business Instructor at Clackamas Community College and have been zipping home at 10 pm doing 70-75 mph (probably a bad idea...). I have a black touring Z..all stock, no spoiler...sometimes have the colgan bra on..but with the rains around the corner gotta pull it off. I wanna put a Veilsize v.3 front lip on it eventually. What color is yours? coupe/roadster?
Old 09-29-2006, 06:40 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by Jun
the 350z has problems with the fuel tank. Sometimes you will top off, and when you check the needle, it doesn't go all the way to the top.

It is a 20 gallon tank, i actually DID run out of gas trying to figure this out LOL
From the moment you get the "- - - -", you probably can drive about 100 miles before the car stalls

It's not worth taking the car in an replacing whatever they have to replace (fuel sensor, fuel pump, etc). God knows what else they can screw up while trying to fix something so insignificant.

I just learned to live with it.

BTW, i probably get around 350 miles/tank average.
when u ran out of gas, how much fuel did u end up putting in? Did you get close to 20? or did it only take 18.5 or so? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM
thepostman

Originally Posted by bonusfrag
I get about 320 miles or so on each fill up (16.6 gal). Where are these huge mileage differences coming from? I do about 65/35 highway and city. And I'm not particularly a crazy driver. The fact I have a 5AT have a big part to do with it, doesn't it?
the AT/MT does play a part. I think with Nissan having 3 gallons once the light goes on is confusing a bunch of people. Also when the DTE goes to "---" that does not mean you are literally empty...it means u now have 3 gallons left (25mpg * 3 gallons=75 miles). However....with the fuel sensor issue many are going well beyond the 75 miles...like me!

here is the weird thing. when i first started researching this on my z the gas light went on at 325 miles and the DTE was at 35 dte and the fuel gauge was on the bottom has line near E. I started driving stop/go on surface streets and once the DTE touched 25 DTE..over 20-30 mins the DTE steadily climbed from 25- 85 DTE and the fuel guage CLIMBED from E all the way to a QUARTER tank. Once this happened I realized there was a problem...now to figure out the true amount of fuel in the tank.

After I did that, the DTE hasn't acted that weird again...I'm figuring I reset the computer or something bc I usually fill up once that gas light goes on (ran out of gas before..very bad experience).

Last edited by thepostman; 09-29-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:52 AM
stein

Driving to Richmond and back to Virginia Beach (200 miles total) I get around 27/28 mpg keeping it around 75-85mph; when I can that is, driving 55/65 mph the mpg drop to 24/25 mpg. When I’ve driven in rush hour traffic and just general congestion I get **** mileage of less than 19 and as low as 14. Most of my driving is city (75%+) so overall I get around 21-24 mpg, I don't drive it like I stole it but tend to do sprinted driving I guess.

As for fuel ups, I know there is a 20 gallons tank (17+3) but I tend to just fill up around 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank which is about 15 gallons. I've pushed it some but I still only put in 17 gallons. I've done the calculations when filling up just to make sure the mpg reading is correct which it was 100% of the time so I'm good with that.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:38 AM
kahuba

I've just barely hit 500 miles on a tank once. All highway, with some 100 mph+ bursts thrown in.

65% highway / 35% city driving currently and i'm at 24.6 on my mpg readout that hasn't been reset for 1000+ miles.

Not bad for 300hp.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM
sisco534

I only get 280 at most, after you mod you lose gas mileage.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
nothingremains

what average speed do you guys go on the highway though..
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Sleeper01

when i fill up if im lucky my dte will show 265....then sometimes it will show 180 when its full? is their something im missing here? i got a 03 Touring with no mods
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM
dc567

Originally Posted by Z_Monzter
Damn, I am hating.

I have to fill up every 300 miles. Maybe cause I drive it like I stole it

mine is about 250miles
Old 09-29-2006, 03:09 PM
I1DER

I think the DistanceToEmpty that shows after filling up depends on what past milage you have been getting and allows a 2 gal error. I'm not sure as mine always shows about the same 426-446. I reset the the ave. speed / consumption meter only at every fill-up and also manually calculate my milage on each gas receipt.
The computer has been very accurate. I get 23.5 mpg average for my normal driving which the gauge shows about 37 mph average(freeway & country roads plus stops). On freeway trips (60-65 mph average) I get about 28.3 mpg. I actually averaged 70 mph for over 400 miles 2 weeks ago and the milage from that tank dropped to 26.5 mpg but the air conditioner was on the whole time. I have twice gone over 500 miles on a tank and both times it took just over 18 gals. to fill the tank. I normally shift around 4000 rpm so I'm not being as economical as I could be. But, I love the sound and I love this car! I've put 9000+ miles on it in the 9 weeks since I bought it.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Beagle_Z

Default The Postman always delivers..

I presume they leave several gallons as a "reserve" because many people would see the needle on the empty mark and immediately find a station to fill up..in the old days! In the last 20 years we have become such a convenience oriented society that perhaps the automakers feel we won't pull over right away, so you get a "grace period" in effect. That's my take on it, I have no proof of course. We would have to track down the guy that designed the guages and ask him... And lets remember that the trip computer is always 'averaging' our speed and fuel use, and thus estimating based on those computations, which I understand are calculated once per minute. We use more gas going uphill (the bigger the angle, the more the gas) and of course, the opposite, using less gas going downhill (someone hit 100 MPG's here and snapped a pic..he was coasting down a 6% incline or something like that..) and we use more gas to accelerate than we would to just maintain our speed. So yeah, if we had 500 miles of totaly flat and straight road and no traffic lights or stop signs and set our CC on say 65, I bet we could eke out 600 miles! And ever since watching the Mythbusters ep on airconditioning versus widows down, I run my AC and rarely hit the freeway with the windows down. It even says in our manual to leave the windows up for better airflow (not mention keeping your headliner clean, I have to clean our X90's cabin several times a summer when I drive around with the T tops off!). Now, regarding 75+ on 205 south at ten at night: never been out that late. I leave for work at 5 am and leave for home at 3 pm, thus I miss most of the heavy traffic. I do see patrols every so often but not around the Clackamas area. When I do see a police car on the freeway, most people are freaking out and shadowing the copcar and (I presume) are afraid to pass..even if the cop is going 45 in the slow lane. They in effect bring all that traffic to down to their speed! Just pass the cop already! I see almost daily people in the fast lane, along side an 18 wheeler thats pluggin away in the middle lane at 55 and they just plain won't pass the big truck, it's like they are afraid or something, and they bottleneck the fast lane. Grrr! Pass the truck, the last place you want to be is along side a big rig or just off it's rear when a retread explodes. Anyway, I've talked to several county sherrifs in the past and they have said it's no big deal going over the speed limit a bit. They are looking for the dimbulbs out tailgating, weaving in and out dangerously or going much faster than the conditions and/or other people on the roads. It's common sense really, they can't pull over every single car that exceeds the speed limit by .1 every day, just about all of us would be in jail within a week...
Our's is an auto coupe GT in an Interlagos Fire business suit. I just zaino'd it for the first time and then put on some Maguire's NXT(?) wax and oh boy oh boy oh boy she's lookin' hot! This is our first "nice" car (read: over 30 grand, with an auto tranny, and gobs of fun to drive!). Come to think of it, she is our first AT (no more creaking knees...) and we are very happy with our choice. No car is perfect, but I have to say, well done Nissan! I wonder if they will do the GTR in Interlagos Fire?? Ok Postman, I'll be looking for a black with bra 'round the area, make sure to wave back! Have you seen the hot blonde in the red coupe or the brunette bombshell in the white coupe around the area? Also spotted are two silvers but I don't know if they work in town or not. Clackamas has Z's coming out her ears!

Quick Reply: 500 + miles on one tank???