Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:38 AM
mavtais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdahern
Elkton Road is a 4 lane road - speed bumps? The speed limit goes from 25 or 35 in Newark to 45 once you get out of the city limits - I don't think speed bumps are an option.
If not speed bumps, then just put in some (RxR) tracks. We've all seen ricers come to a stop to crawl over (RxR) tracks. This is due to the fact that they cut their springs and don't have any dampening/suspension travel left. Works every time.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zownz
I see your point and I agree with you a 100%. But being in the situations that I have been. At the wrong place at the wrong time, and pay the price that I had to, I wouldnt stop for help. It may sound selfish, but all I'd do is call the 911 and report the accident and get tha hell away from there. For example, I witnessed an accident before, and I ran out of the car and pulled out guys out of a smoking car. For a minute i felt like did something great, but once the police came and ambulance, they started asking me a million questions, and one of the guys i pulled out of a car tried to blame me for bruised ribs!..Apparantly i grabbed him to hard. But whatever, I wont ever do that again. Im gonna call for help, and mind my own business.
So you got questioned. You were a witness! They're trying to put together a picture of what happened, and whether or not you, as a first responder, had anything to do with it.

As for the ungrateful whiner with the bruised ribs...you're protected by good samaritan law, they can't touch you for rendering aid in the manner you did.

Your example is NOT a compelling argument for the original scenario, since your participation in an illegal activity was never in question.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 AM
zownz

Originally Posted by kcobean
So you got questioned. You were a witness! They're trying to put together a picture of what happened, and whether or not you, as a first responder, had anything to do with it.

As for the ungrateful whiner with the bruised ribs...you're protected by good samaritan law, they can't touch you for rendering aid in the manner you did.

Your example is NOT a compelling argument for the original scenario, since your participation in an illegal activity was never in question.

ahhh what do you know, you sold your sZ and bought a viper
I guess we cant pass judgement untill we really know if the Z was racing or not.
There are to many IF factors playing a role.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Motormouth
Banned

I feel like this could have been a situation where the Saturn driver was ricing it out and blew past the 350z and hit the lady. possibly no intention of racing on teh Z's half. at least I hope so.

but again, this probably has, in part, to do with the old woman having bad vision I can almost guarantee...
Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 AM
christian655321

I am curious as to what charges they will try to file against the 350z driver, if they can even prove he\she was there , which i doubt. even if they establish he\she was they can not prove the speed nor intent to race, so any traffic violations are going to be easy to dispute. the testimony of the ion driver is not going to hold water, and the only other person who was there is dead. so unless they have more witnesses they have nothing.

bottom line, the state looks like they are short on proof, at least from what was released

The ion driver will Fry for sure.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
zownz

Originally Posted by christian655321
I am curious as to what charges they will try to file against the 350z driver, if they can even prove he\she was there , which i doubt. even if they establish he\she was they can not prove the speed nor intent to race, so any traffic violations are going to be easy to dispute. the testimony of the ion driver is not going to hold water, and the only other person who was there is dead. so unless they have more witnesses they have nothing.

bottom line, the state looks like they are short on proof, at least from what was released

The ion driver will Fry for sure.
Yeah, The 350z could have in reality been..a.......Porsche!!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 AM
widebody350

The Z driver IMO didn't do anything wrong. The Z might have been racing an Ion who at no fault of the Z driver ran right into an old lady who likely had bad depth perception causing her to pull out in front of the Ion driver. What would the Z driver have done? Stopped watched the old lady die and not been able to get the Ion driver out. Basically the Z driver would have stopped just so that he/she could wait for the cops to admit to street racing. All this talk of be a man and turn yourself in blah blah blah is some b/s. Turning yourself in would not be a smart move since you would definately need an attorney which costs money, your familly would have to go through a bunch of bs, and you would likely have something on your record at the end of this as well as being looked at by everyone who knew as the other person that killed the little old lady. Yea the little old lady's familly has to go through losing her but in all retrospect this should be taken as evidence that elderly drivers need to be checked more regularly to make sure that they can operate a vehicle in a safe manner.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 AM
jamnew

Originally Posted by savvy
I have seen so many near accidents and just outright ridiculous driving moves made by old people. Not that what happened was this old lady's fault....but i wouldn't rule that out.
Insurance statistics prove that young drivers and old drivers make the most mistakes, however if the Saturn is going the speed limit regardless of whose fault it was, he would have had a greater chance of avoiding the accident. When driving the Z, the temptation to race is is big, but you must remember that eventually you will be caught one way or another. Let's hope no more Zs are anywhere near racing deaths.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 AM
christian655321

I see your point and I agree with you a 100%. But being in the situations that I have been. At the wrong place at the wrong time, and pay the price that I had to, I wouldnt stop for help. It may sound selfish, but all I'd do is call the 911 and report the accident and get tha hell away from there. For example, I witnessed an accident before, and I ran out of the car and pulled out guys out of a smoking car. For a minute i felt like did something great, but once the police came and ambulance, they started asking me a million questions, and one of the guys i pulled out of a car tried to blame me for bruised ribs!..Apparantly i grabbed him to hard. But whatever, I wont ever do that again. Im gonna call for help, and mind my own business.

+1

getting involved and becomming a hero is not on the menu for me, (unless i know the people and are friends with them), Especially if you have money and assests to loose. just the thought of being subject to liability claims that would have an impact is enough to keep me driving right passed them and not give a second thought to it.

sure there are good samaritan statutes but that is NOT a gaurantee that you wont end up in court, loose wages , time, etc.. just for trying to help someone. not to even mention the pain in the **** it will be to answer all the quetions the police will ask you, sorry but i got better stuff to do.

and for the states that have laws that you must help, lol good luck enforcing that.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 AM
kcobean

ahhh what do you know, you sold your sZ and bought a viper
I guess we cant pass judgement untill we really know if the Z was racing or not.
There are to many IF factors playing a role.
LOL....hey, I like my snake! (that didn't sound right, did it. )

You're right, we're all just armchair quarterbacking here. My point all along is that when there is a possibility that you could be accused of something you didn't do, don't stack the deck against yourself by doing things that make you look guilty when you're not. Fleeing the scene because you don't trust the legal system, well...look where it's got him. He's now effectively a "fugitive".

If he IS guilty of street-racing and he ran....he gets what he gets.

Last edited by kcobean; 11-13-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by christian655321
+1

getting involved and becomming a hero is not on the menu for me, (unless i know the people and are friends with them), Especially if you have money and assests to loose. just the thought of being subject to liability claims that would have an impact is enough to keep me driving right passed them and not give a second thought to it.

sure there are good samaritan statutes but that is NOT a gaurantee that you wont end up in court, loose wages , time, etc.. just for trying to help someone. not to even mention the pain in the **** it will be to answer all the quetions the police will ask you, sorry but i got better stuff to do.

and for the states that have laws that you must help, lol good luck enforcing that.
I guess I just place a higher priority on doing the right thing. Your statements are typical of today's society, which is unfortunate. If it was you lying wounded in the smoking car, you'd be outraged to watch all the people drive by gawking and not stopping to see if you're ok because they didn't want to get involved or had better things to do than answer some questions. When we all stop helping each other in times of crisis, our society falls apart.

My $0.02.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
S.E.

Originally Posted by widebody350
The Z driver IMO didn't do anything wrong. The Z might have been racing an Ion who at no fault of the Z driver ran right into an old lady who likely had bad depth perception causing her to pull out in front of the Ion driver. What would the Z driver have done? Stopped watched the old lady die and not been able to get the Ion driver out. Basically the Z driver would have stopped just so that he/she could wait for the cops to admit to street racing. All this talk of be a man and turn yourself in blah blah blah is some b/s. Turning yourself in would not be a smart move since you would definately need an attorney which costs money, your familly would have to go through a bunch of bs, and you would likely have something on your record at the end of this as well as being looked at by everyone who knew as the other person that killed the little old lady. Yea the little old lady's familly has to go through losing her but in all retrospect this should be taken as evidence that elderly drivers need to be checked more regularly to make sure that they can operate a vehicle in a safe manner.
This is the most retarded **** i have read on this forum. If the Z driver wasnt racing, the ion wouldnt have been racing, and the old lady would not be dead. Commenting on her depth perception is completely ludicrous. Its not a fact that vision gets that much worse with age, its a probability. There are plenty of people that age whose vision is just fine and are capable drivers. On top of that, if she had bad vision shw would PROBABLY be wearing glasses anyway. What you are doing is generalizing an entire age bracket to reach conclusions you are comforatable with. The z driver was responsibile, if racing, for participating in an illegal activity that creates a clear and present danger to himself, his opponent, and the general public. Street racing is ILLEGAL. Driving when you are 84 is not. Turning yourself in called being responsible for your actions. Its not about being a man, its about being a decent human being. If someone is worried about the money, and thier family, then they shouldnt be ****in street racing. I would not pity his wallet or his family. He knew the risks, now he is just too much of a coward to stand behind his actions.

If you really think the way you wrote, you need to have your liscnense taken away.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:33 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by S.E.
This is the most retarded **** i have read on this forum. If the Z driver wasnt racing, the ion wouldnt have been racing, and the old lady would not be dead. Commenting on her depth perception is completely ludicrous. Its not a fact that vision gets that much worse with age, its a probability. There are plenty of people that age whose vision is just fine and are capable drivers. On top of that, if she had bad vision shw would PROBABLY be wearing glasses anyway. What you are doing is generalizing an entire age bracket to reach conclusions you are comforatable with. The z driver was responsibile, if racing, for participating in an illegal activity that creates a clear and present danger to himself, his opponent, and the general public. Street racing is ILLEGAL. Driving when you are 84 is not. Turning yourself in called being responsible for your actions. Its not about being a man, its about being a decent human being. If someone is worried about the money, and thier family, then they shouldnt be ****in street racing. I would not pity his wallet or his family. He knew the risks, now he is just too much of a coward to stand behind his actions.

If you really think the way you wrote, you need to have your liscnense taken away.
How many times have you been driving along going kind of fast and someone in a slower car blows by you? That could have been the case which the Z driver would not have any fault in. Racing in a situation like that is kind of hard to prove anyways so the Z driver could beat that with a half @ssed attorney and it wasn't the Z that made the Ion driver hit the old lady. The Ion driver deciding to drive that fast was so the Z IMO is clear of blame in regards to that aspect as well. Driving when you are 84 is not a crime but if she couldn't clearly see/react to know if she would have time to make her turn safely then she should not have been driving.I was not saying that all 84 year olds shouldn't drive but that they should be subjected to more frequent testing to make sure that they can safely operate an automobile. Too much of a coward to stand behind his actions? Why do you think there are so many high priced lawyers? I'm sorry but I would not jeopardize my life or make my family's live a living hell b/c of some unfortunate events that couldn't be reversed. The little old lady is gone and the Z driver coming forward and saying, "I was there," isn't going to do a d**n thing about that. BTW no I do not condone street racing. But people pleading for both of them (Ion and Z drivers) to fry is ludicrous, as is demanding that the Z driver come forward and make his life miserable for no reason.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

The partial license plate ID probably came from the Saturn driver. The fact that the Saturn driver brought the Z up implies that they were racing. If it was just a non-race related accident, the Z would never have come up.
Kelly might be right, maybe not. What if the Ion driver is just saying that about the Z so he can use him as a scapegoat or "if i'm going down, I'm taking you too" situations?

It's hard to say because we're just reading about it and weren't actually there to see the accident.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

Originally Posted by S.E.

again, no blame to anyone on the board, but how do we know for sure the Z actually raced?!

the ion could have been flying by and hit the old lady, then freaking out, says he was racing the Z. he could have blamed it on racing when he was entirely at fault.

but the comment of if A didn't race then B wouldn't have either is . how do you know for sure both parties participated.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
christian655321

I guess I just place a higher priority on doing the right thing. Your statements are typical of today's society, which is unfortunate. If it was you lying wounded in the smoking car, you'd be outraged to watch all the people drive by gawking and not stopping to see if you're ok because they didn't want to get involved or had better things to do than answer some questions. When we all stop helping each other in times of crisis, our society falls apart.

My $0.02.

I just like playing the devils advocate because few do. Maybe ask yourself, Would I do it again after being in litigation with someone that you saved? Either because you injured him more severely or paralysed him or worse. Imagine the effort involved , time away from your family, and the outrage you would feel if you because the culprit and not the rescuer that you sought to be.

if you answer yes I would still save people , then kudos you are a better man than me; Personally - my life , my family, and everything i worked hard to provide for them will not be jepordized by someone else if i can prevent it. If there was a 100% immunity law for saving people i would re-think my position.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Silkk

All the arguments above have been played out, so I present you only with this:

Why would have someone taken this guys plate # down if he didn't do anything wrong? And if he really was driving the speed limit, minding his own business, why couldn't they get his entire plate #? I highly doubt the Ion driver is the one who provided the plate #, so some other witnesses must have seen something that looked irresponsible enough to try to record his plate number (to no avail as he probably hauled his a$$ out of there at about 85mph in a 40 zone.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you must be nuts to turn yourself in. if you didnt stay at the scene when it happen theres no point in going back. they'll tighten the vise on your nuts harder for leaving the scene of the accident. im not a bad person but there is no way in hell im going back if it was me.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
christian655321

Originally Posted by Silkk
All the arguments above have been played out, so I present you only with this:

Why would have someone taken this guys plate # down if he didn't do anything wrong? And if he really was driving the speed limit, minding his own business, why couldn't they get his entire plate #? I highly doubt the Ion driver is the one who provided the plate #, so some other witnesses must have seen something that looked irresponsible enough to try to record his plate number (to no avail as he probably hauled his a$$ out of there at about 85mph in a 40 zone.

too many variables too too many --- impossible to argue --

what if whoever saw the plate is lying? what if whoever saw the plate has bad eyes? maybe the saw the wrong numbers on the plate, maybe it wasnt a 350z? maybe mistook a car driving next to the ion as a car racing the ion?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM
iceagetlc

I have a silver frost, and I had Maryland temp tags when I bought it but that was a while ago. Phew..

Quick Reply: 350z causing fatal crash in Delaware!