Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 03:55 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having seen the G35c and the 350Z side-by-side, I can tell you that there are differences between the two which become obvious when you look at them together.

The G has a longer wheelbase, which gives it that "pregnant Z" look. The shorter wheelbase of the Z gives is that sporty, edgy look.

In the end, you have to account for your own taste. I'm sure there will be performance differences between the two cars, but not significant ones. If creature comforts are your requirement, then get the G35. If you have a strong Z heritage that you want to continue, buy the Z.

I don't think either is a bad choice. All it boils down to is what you personally like better. (And in the end, isn't that the only opinion that really matters?)
Old 07-24-2002, 04:02 PM
Zboy

For your viewing pleasure...

Pics of G35 coupe in Daytona Blue like color...

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=222634&page=3

If you go to page 2 you can see some pics of Daytona Blue Z and leman Z.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:51 PM
rai

Default Re: More major

Originally posted by Boomer

Jay, one of the reasons I am buying the Z is because it doesn't Have a sunroof. Here in windy Okla, a sunroof gets opened up, you get tons of dust and pollen, aggravating any allergies you may have. We have a saying here"if you're not allergic to anything, wait awhile, you will be". The last 6 cars I have owned had sunroofs with the exception of the MR2T, it had t-tops. All these wonderful, expensive, and mandatory options have been used rather spareingly by my wife and I. I only open the shade, not the top, after dark or in the winter. The t-tops on the MR2T were removed for open motoring 4 times in 7 years and 128,000 miles.

As the Brit tester in Car mag said a "tin" roof, I have rejoiced in the knowledge I will have a tin roof over my head. You can't tempt me, you are just tantalizing yourself and I won't be a party to your mania.

Boomer--ZZZZZZZZZZ
BR/FR/AT
I agree 100%. give me a tin roof or give me death. I was toying with the idea of getting a big lexus LS430. I mean if you want luxury why not go all the way? But I couldn't configure it without a sunroof. No thanks.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:38 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default Unbelievable...

I was going to respond earlier today -- decided.. who cares...but for some reaso--- the responses really bothered me.. and threw a wet towel over the whole thrill........

If MR Texas Style wants to add another coupe/sedan to his collection -- go ahead. I don't particularly care for the Toyota Aristo (aka Lexus) anyway.

Simply...

You want a sports car... buy a Z

You want a wannabe sports cars...(often said of the Skyline here made up to look like a GTR)... buy the G35 Coupe.

Interiors... who cares... I want what pumps on the road.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:57 PM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by rai
jmanZ I am dissapointed with you. You should be sticking up for the Z. Why don't you change your name to JmanG and be done with it.
...or "Jman?"
Old 07-24-2002, 08:34 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by marcZZZ
TXSTYLE, My fiance reminds me of you, he has an SC300 lexus, he loves the luxary and the interior and the car can get up and move when it needs to..he is into comfort ,luxary and a sporty look. He really dislikes my 300ZX, says it rides like a truck, but it handles nice. I know he will like and occasionally drive my 350Z, but I think next year, I mean I know next year he will get the G35 sports coupe or the lexus convertible, probably in the pearl white with either light gray or tan leather interior..unfortunately the sedan doesn't do it for me so I will have my rough riding wonderful handling sportscar and he will have his luxary sports coupe and we will both be happy and have the best of both worlds. Good luck..you could get your Z and if it didn't do it for you, you could probably sell it at a profit and get the G35 in november..just don't drop too much dough on your mods until you know if you will keep the Z..about october you could make quite a neat profit and put the $ towards your G35 and those mods. Just an idea.
Originally posted by jgrier
People, if you are torn and have placed a deposit on a Z, keep your place in line! Drive it, and if you are disappointed and want to jump the fence, you will be able to sell your Z very easily for probably more than you paid for it. I think the dealers are going to mark up the Z's first chance they get since corporate would not let them on the pre-orders. DON'T TOSS YOUR PLACE IN LINE UNTIL YOU HAVE DRIVEN THE Z! You have options even after taking delivery of your Z. You WON'T be sorry!
You know, you 2 have probably saved me the potential regret of not at least giving the Z a chance to test it out and truly experience what it has to offer me in total by keeping my spot and taking delivery! I'll easily be able to sell the Z for a profit should I decide to! You're absolutely right about holding up on the modding (even though my rims should fit either of them) until I have spent some time behind the wheel and comparing the Coupe when it hits dealerships this fall. But, I'll probably place a deposit down nontheless just in case, but hey, I'll already be in my sweet-a** Z, and if the coupes LUXURY Edge wins me over, at least I won't have any regrets!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:43 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Marcus, you've said a couple of times, "my salesperson... she said..." That wouldn't happen to be Christy Neal at Crest would it? I dealt with her a few times way back when I was still considering the G35 sedan and/or coupe and she was ALWAYS on top of her game with the info. If I was going Infiniti, she would definitely get my business.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:46 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by Zboy
For your viewing pleasure...

Pics of G35 coupe in Daytona Blue like color...

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=222634&page=3

If you go to page 2 you can see some pics of Daytona Blue Z and leman Z.
Nice find!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:51 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by droidekaus
Marcus, you've said a couple of times, "my salesperson... she said..." That wouldn't happen to be Christy Neal at Crest would it? I dealt with her a few times way back when I was still considering the G35 sedan and/or coupe and she was ALWAYS on top of her game with the info. If I was going Infiniti, she would definitely get my business.
Actually it's Lori a Salesmanager at Crest. And they all seem to be nice and informed people! Follow-ups and open line of communication is key to my business dealings.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:59 PM
roberto350z

I just went to the infinity dealer myself to check out the g35 sedan, and YES!!! It is so nice, I loved it. It looks so refined and beautiful...like a beemer or an acura. Its definetely a roller, and you can fit chicks in the back. (someone said there leg room!) And the price is supposed to be like the sedan....starting at 27k.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:21 PM
joeandcarol2

Default Choice is a GOOD thing

This is not about pain and agony. The G35 and 350Z are like brothers (or at least first cousins). Same powertrain and suspension and steering. The availablity of the coupe gives people choices to get the same great car in various configurations. Even a 4 door sedan.. Get the variation that is best for you (I think 4 door M6 for me). But please Mr. 3rdpower dont tell me you are pissed because Nissan is diluting the Zs uniquness by offereing the G35. Does your Z have to be unique for you to enjoy it? Please

Last edited by joeandcarol2; 07-24-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:34 PM
#15Blade

Well, here’s my two cents. As many of you know, I’ve been thinking about the G35c for some time now. I look at it as being the 2+2 version of the 350Z. Here’s my thought process.

Looks:
G35c
– Great look, sporty yet understated; attractive, but not a real head turner. Also not likely to draw unwanted (i.e. police) attention.
- may or may not be available as a convertible

350Z
– Great look, sporty and aggressive. A real head turner. Likely to perk the interest of the police even if you aren’t going too fast.
- Convertible available next spring

Interior/platform considerations:
G35c
– Has rear seats – benefit to insurance rates, and a real consideration on the spousal approval factor.
- More luxurious, though not (based on pictures) particularly inspiring
- likely more comfortable ride, though hopefully still reasonably tight.
- Has available Sun roof.

350Z
– Lighter, more “nimble”

Performance
G35c
- less performance, but still <6sec 0-60 times
- 280 hp (est)
- may not have carbon fiber drive shaft (then again it may)
- 1-200 # heavier (equivalent to 10-20hp decrease in equivalent weight)
- Braking should be equivalent or better
(for me – G35c Sport option has Brembro’s, 350Z Enthusiast doesn’t)

350Z
– better performance
- 287 hp
- carbon fiber drive shaft
- lighter
- brakes equivalent (due to less weight, but not as powerful breaks as Brembros)

Cost issues
G35c
– more expensive ($29K base + $2.5K sport -> $31.5)
- Cheaper insurance (presumably)
- Better warranty 4/60

350Z
– less expensive ($28K – Enthusiast)
- More expensive insurance
- shorter warranty 3/36

Each car has its own strenghts and weeknesses. I guess the bottom line is I will have to drive both in order to make a decision.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:46 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

- Braking should be equivalent or better
(for me – G35c Sport option has Brembro’s, 350Z Enthusiast doesn’t)
The last time I checked NissanNews.Com, there was no mention of the Brembos as an option for the G35 Coupe- of course the packages have yet to be *officially* announced, so this could likely change- Actually, my guess is that you will be able to get the brembos on the G35 Coupe, but they'll be part of an expensive package that will put the cost of the car up around 40 grand. I can't imagine the G35 Coupe -with a leather interior- brembos, bose, and other stuff, to be less expensive than a Track model 350Z.

Ethan
Old 07-24-2002, 11:19 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by ethan84ae

The last time I checked NissanNews.Com, there was no mention of the Brembos as an option for the G35 Coupe- of course the packages have yet to be *officially* announced, so this could likely change- Actually, my guess is that you will be able to get the brembos on the G35 Coupe, but they'll be part of an expensive package that will put the cost of the car up around 40 grand. I can't imagine the G35 Coupe -with a leather interior- brembos, bose, and other stuff, to be less expensive than a Track model 350Z.

Ethan
Someone posted a link (I don't have the link anymore) describing the Canadians packages for the G35 Coupe, in Canada you get only get a manual tranny with the sport package which included Brembo brakes for approx. $40K U.
S. Obviously, the US packages may not be the same.

BTW -- Does anybody else find it odd that its a MODERATOR and the SITE OWNER who are both considering jumping ship????
Old 07-24-2002, 11:31 PM
ariZona

Default Choices, choices.....

I, like many of you, also have fallen under the spell of both cars. I will still be getting my Daytona Blue Touring 6MT, of course, but if you are on the fence, then I can see how it would be a tough choice. My wife has a 2000 Infiniti I30t, and we both love it. 4 doors, plenty of back seat and trunk space, well crafted, nice amenities, and the Infiniti service/warranty that comes with it. If I had it my way, my wife would get a G35 or G35 Coupe, but they are both a little smaller than the I30t, and since I had to get her to agree to me getting the two seat Z (she is starting to get a little more vocal about the "patter of little feet"), we will do with what we have. If the G35's are anything like my wife's I30t (my only complaint is its Chevy Suburban-like turning radius), than any G35c buyer will love it as well. BTW, they don't even make the I30 anymore - it is now the I35 (they gave it the new 3.5 liter engine vs. the 3.0 liter, and bumped up horsepower from 227 to 255). Good luck on your decision - as I said, I would love to have my two cars be the G35c and 350Z, but one out of two ain't bad, and the Infiniti we have is still a great car......

Hurry up and get here, will you Z?

ariZona
Old 07-25-2002, 12:08 AM
SunsetZ

Default Yes it has Brembos

The G35C does have available Brembos, as opposed to what was said above.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:30 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Yes it has Brembos

Originally posted by SunsetZ
The G35C does have available Brembos, as opposed to what was said above.

What is your source on that? I think you're probably correct, but I'd like to read something "official".

According to Nissannews.Com:

"Available Sport Model includes limited slip-differential, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and high performance tires "

(notice there is no mention of Brembos)

SOURCE URL: http://www.nissannews.com/?http://ww...e/glance.shtml
Old 07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Yes it has Brembos

Originally posted by ethan84ae

What is your source on that? I think you're probably correct, but I'd like to read something "official".

According to Nissannews.Com:

"Available Sport Model includes limited slip-differential, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and high performance tires "

(notice there is no mention of Brembos)

SOURCE URL: http://www.nissannews.com/?<a href="...ance.shtml</a>
"The 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe will be offered in two fully equipped models, the Luxury Model and Sport Model. Other available equipment includes a dual sliding glass sunroof with one-touch open/close feature, DVD-type navigation system, BoseŽ premium audio system, an Aero Package with rear aero wing and rear side air diffusers, a Brembo Brakes Package, Premium Package and Winter Package with heated front seats and heated outside mirrors. "

See this page
Old 07-25-2002, 01:31 AM
#15Blade

Interesting. It makes more sense for them to offer the Brembros as a sepparate option. The Freshalloy.com discussion group had listed the sports package as $2500, and indicated that the Brembros were a part of the package. Now I wonder what exactly is in the package.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:20 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Yes it has Brembos

Originally posted by droidekaus

"The 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe will be offered in two fully equipped models, the Luxury Model and Sport Model. Other available equipment includes a dual sliding glass sunroof with one-touch open/close feature, DVD-type navigation system, BoseŽ premium audio system, an Aero Package with rear aero wing and rear side air diffusers, a Brembo Brakes Package, Premium Package and Winter Package with heated front seats and heated outside mirrors. "

See this page
And this very FACT makes the decision that much harder! But hey, I'll see what happens after taking delivery of my Z and then driving the Coupe, which by the way people, I have just read in CAR (very reputable European automobile enthusiast magazine I've read for years) that the G35 Coupe will indeed have 280-hp which I figured would be the minimum! So expect performance #'s to be on par with the Z! Also, I'm about to read the August issue that I just picked up with a Sunset LeMans Z on the cover and a full testing of a production model! I'll start a thread after I finish reading..........

Quick Reply: I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!