Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It's an obsession!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:55 PM
drivenCSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fearindrive
the thing im worried about is this; today i was driving around with 3 of my friends in the wrangler with the top down having a great time. with the z you can only do such things with 1 friend... potential problem, something that makes me think twice about getting the z

not a problem at all...find a friend with a wrangler.

the Z is great...enough room for myself and usually my ex-gf at school and if me and my friends were ever going somwhere i was automatically excluded from driving = dont have to drive, can drink(maybe), no gas spent

dont know about you, but i dont really like carting people around everywhere, which is what i would have been doing if i had an SUV.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
howey

I have only been on this board since Jan but in the last 3 months I have read a lot of posts regarding this subject and many of them pointing at age being the MAIN factor in deciding on a vehicle.

Only you know your situation and maturity/responsibility level. Don’t let anyone on here preach to you based on other people’s situations and circumstances.

Lets be honest about the Z though… It’s not practical or responsible to purchase at any age… but that is ok!

Nothing in life is a “good” deal so you need to just decide what is important to you and pay for it. It’s really that simple. For example I enjoy cars. None of my car purchases have been “responsible” purchases to date. There is nothing reasonable about buying a sports car, lol. But the important thing is that I realize that and I adjust my life-style in other areas. Same thing with my fiancé… She knows her clothing purchases are outrageous so she is sure to watch eating out at work and things like that. This is called being responsible and managing your finances. If you feel you can make this purchase not sacrifice the important things in life, then go for it.

Just be sure to take it slow… It’s a sports car and it needs to be respected or you could end up like many of these sad stories. I see it all the time… I work in law enforcement so I see fatal wrecks often.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Steve_03

TriTown...FYI, your insurance is gonna run you probably 1000+ for 6 months full coverage if you have a spotless record when you get the Z in Indiana. If you're on the parents insurance you can probably get it down a bit, but either way it's not cheap.

I got my Z a few months after I got out of school and made some money with my degree. I would've hated driving it to school cause I know my LeBaron got f'd up all the time by idiot people.

Having said that I say if you can afford it and you want it go get it. Just make sure if you drive it next winter to buy some dedicated snow tires! Summer only tires should not be used when it is below freezing. I never can understand why people think they can drive on them

Oh and if you're gonna race get a big brake kit (or at least the stock Brembos) and do it on the track!

That's my wisdom for the night. Oh and if you're in the Indianapolis area jump into the North Central forum, some of us are getting together next week here.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:41 PM
jdo

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
This guy knows what hes talking about. Buy what you need, not what you want....haha im jk. Just get someone to T-bone your car and collect insurance. Or you can drive across the US and tell your insurance that it was stolen.
yeah because fraud is awesome and wouldn't put a damper on his life - which seems to be pretty good right now
Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Tritown72

Originally Posted by Steve_03
TriTown...FYI, your insurance is gonna run you probably 1000+ for 6 months full coverage if you have a spotless record when you get the Z in Indiana. If you're on the parents insurance you can probably get it down a bit, but either way it's not cheap.

I got my Z a few months after I got out of school and made some money with my degree. I would've hated driving it to school cause I know my LeBaron got f'd up all the time by idiot people.

Having said that I say if you can afford it and you want it go get it. Just make sure if you drive it next winter to buy some dedicated snow tires! Summer only tires should not be used when it is below freezing. I never can understand why people think they can drive on them

Oh and if you're gonna race get a big brake kit (or at least the stock Brembos) and do it on the track!

That's my wisdom for the night. Oh and if you're in the Indianapolis area jump into the North Central forum, some of us are getting together next week here.
Thanks good words of advice, I already checked up with my insurance company and I am going to go under my parents names since it decereses the amount greatly and I also get a good student discount so insurance won't be that high for me. As far as driving it in the snow and racing thats a def. hells naw reason be, Up here in the NW Suburbs the roads are sh*ty and as far as racing I had a friend who died 2 years ago in a Z (R.I.P A.J) and it was one of the major set back for me getting attached to this car, but I have overcome that and realized lifes not worth risking for a few seconds of fun and worthless "bragging rights" That said I will def. post pics of my Z once shes in my hands, I found a PPW in IL only downside is that it has Koing rims and "ricer" taillights but both can be easily replaced
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Tritown72

Originally Posted by jdo
yeah because fraud is awesome and wouldn't put a damper on his life - which seems to be pretty good right now
Yea both of my parents don't have college degrees so if I *** that up im pretty much done for...not by the government but my parents(they know where i sleep,eat,sh*t,work yea my dad would def. "open" a new anoos for me

Last edited by Tritown72; 03-14-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
suv11186

Dude, I got my Z when I was 20 and now.....I'm 21. I love it. If you like small, fast and EXTREMELY sexy cars....You can't go wrong with the 350Z. Oh and as for insurance...I pay 135 a month for full coverage. Which isn't too bad considering how young I am and the car I'm driving. Clean driving record REALLY helps! I keep my heavy foot at the tracks!

Last edited by suv11186; 03-14-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Mrsparkle80

When you take on any loan, there is a big committment for your future. You are in college now, but look at 2 years down the line when, I assume you will still be paying off your car loan and done with college. Will you still want to be living at home in 2 years, regardless of how great your relationship is with your family? Everyone on here has a different perspective on what is important to them. When I was in school and lived in downtown Chicago, the last thing I wanted was a nice car for people to dent and scratch...and have to pay high insurance rates, even with a clean driving record. Living on my own, paying my own bills/tuition--that was my choice to take on and important for me to do in my personal growth. Are you ok with paying 525 plus dollars a month for a car and insurance knowing that this is an investment that is not going to make you money? If anything, you will blow even more cash modding the thing! Will you be ok working at your current jobs if you can't find a "career job" out of college?

Personally...I went with house first, car second. I'm happy with my choices because I don't know too many people who have what I have...both educationally and property-wise....living in a larger city area...at age 26 on their own and minimal financial help from family.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you don't go to IU...

Just joking. Seriously though, your a big boy and although buying a car is a big financial decision, it is YOUR decision and no one else's. Go test drive a Z and see if it's the right car for you. Just make sure you are able to afford it in the long run.

Good luck, and welcome to the community.

-Jason
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 AM
nothingremains

I bought my 06 Z brand new at 20..do what you want man..
Old 03-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Steve_03

Originally Posted by jtabraham

Just joking. Seriously though, your a big boy and although buying a car is a big financial decision, it is YOUR decision and no one else's. Go test drive a Z and see if it's the right car for you. Just make sure you are able to afford it in the long run.

-Jason

+1 Boiler Up!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Jabdo233

Originally Posted by Tritown72
Well everyone as this is my first post I would like to tell the story of my Zed infatuation. I am a 19 yr old full time college student that is IN NEED of a car suited for his age. At the moment I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX fully optd with everything I wanted in a car...well not everything. Although its a v8 and gas is a b*tch on me i am still craving a car more suitable for me! Currently i feel as if I am a soccer dad with room to put 4 kids and soccer equipment comfortably in my trunk. Now some of you may think I am spoiled and not greatful for what was given to me...but your wrong. I have been saving for months, working 40-50 hr weeks and going to school just so I can have enough money for my future Z. My first car was a 92 eg civic that i paid in full with cash so this is going to be my first big investment and hopefully the right one. I plan to start shopping in about a month or so this way I know winter will be out of the way for sure. I hope this is normal and I am not the only one who is going or went through this in order to get their baby. Oh btw I plan to buy an 05/06 touring hopefully in DB or PPW *fingers crossed*
So how is the job going and are you on track to getting the car?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Malikot
Rice Rocket

Originally Posted by fearindrive
the thing im worried about is this; today i was driving around with 3 of my friends in the wrangler with the top down having a great time. with the z you can only do such things with 1 friend... potential problem, something that makes me think twice about getting the z
That was one of the main reasons I got the Z. I love not having to give rides to everyone. All of my friends drive but they always depended on me to pick them up and drive everywhere and wouldn't pay for gas.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM
GHOST1207

Originally Posted by ohSIXz
dont listen to him. get whatever car you want. im 22 and have had the Z for a lil over a year... WITH NO TICKETS OR ACCIDENTS i might add. before you get on this forum you gotta know a lot of these guys get a lil pissed off when they find out your age.

but i understand a lot of Zs that get totaled are being driven by younger people. recently a customer of mine at work purchased an 07 Z... hes 53 years old, and has no passion for cars whatsoever. that is what irks me. BUY A G35 atleast.

there are a lot of good cars out there. take a bmw 3-series. thats pretty good for a well-to-do college student. but ya... just look at all yer options.
hmm no tickets or or accidents at 22? you must be some pro driver or something, lol, jk man, but first time i ever seen that
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Tritown72

Originally Posted by Jabdo233
So how is the job going and are you on track to getting the car?
Sorry everyone, I have been trolling the forums for a little bit but im still here! An update, I am keeping on track and found the car I will be purchasing (there were a few set backs such as paying for summer classes but school is always first.) I plan to pick it up June 2nd, its an 04 SS enthusiast 6MT (not my first color choice, but I was getting impatient!)
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Apanther

If I knew at 19 what I know now (33), I would have never owned a sports car. My judgement and feelings of invicibility made me get tickets and be wreckless. I am "ready" for a Z now. But, it would have not been good for me at 19. But, every person is different.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Tritown72

Originally Posted by Apanther
If I knew at 19 what I know now (33), I would have never owned a sports car. My judgement and feelings of invicibility made me get tickets and be wreckless. I am "ready" for a Z now. But, it would have not been good for me at 19. But, every person is different.
Very ture Apanther, I have taken all critism constructivly. Now I did happen to get a ticket 12/31 for rolling a stop sign in my neighborhood (wtf is a California roll anyway) so I am on probation until August and that ticket can get cleared. $155 for a f***king stop sign!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Tritown72

Originally Posted by jtabraham

-Jason
Hells NAW! I go to Purdue Cal engineering major what what!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Strider619

I bought an 07 a week ago under my name, money and credit. I pay for my rent, bills etc also. I also have a beater (96 maxima). My parents don't factor in my financial situation. Hey if you're responsible enough, why not. I'm 21.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Ztouring04

i feel your pain i am also 19 full college student and work 45 hours a week to get monthly payments and mods...

Quick Reply: It's an obsession!