i have fun, safe fun, in my Z.

thats all that really matters
very true
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doublins
I have a bone stock 06' grand touring M/T, and I plan to keep it that way.

When I was younger, I bought an '02 IS300 m/t new, did a single turbo, new wheels, brakes, suspension, engine rebuild, audio, etc, etc. It was putting down about 420rwhp, looked great, etc. But, the stock W55 tranny sucked, so after blowing it, then blowing two more W58 supra trannies and deciding I didn't want to drop $6-7k for a getrag swap, I put the car back to stock, sold everything, and sold the car because I couldn't stand to drive it stock- it felt like a pig. Anyway, in retrospect, I spent FAR too much $$ on that car, and vowed to never do it again. I would love to have all of the thousands and thousands of dollars back that I spent on it- it would have helped a lot when I bought my house. But, live and learn. The car broke all of the time, I was always having to fix it, always having to upgrade something.. and I did all of the work myself and had a hookup at a local shop where I got free lift and dyno time... I could just bring my car in and work on it. And I STILL spent a ton of money. I was making about $112K at the time and it was still far too expensive for me to keep up with. I always wonder how on earth these people that get out of college making $40-60k and start pouring money into hooking up a car are even putting food on the table or paying their rent.

Don't be willing to hurt your chance of an early retirement or being able to afford a home just for a nice car. People respect good decision making and financial stability more than rims.

I love the Z- it's the first car that I've had that I haven't really wanted to touch... although I'm a bit older now (27) and don't NEED to have the fastest car on the road, that's what my bike is for

Just save and get a house. My $0.02. Honestly the car is just a way of trying to fill some void you think you might have, and it won't.

Thanks for the advice - as a kid just outta college making 40-60K and having an 07 , just trying to make the payments is a big dent in my paycheck. I would like nothing more than to transform my Z into the head spining car I want it to be. None the less I dont plan on going bankrupt doing it in the process. Unless I hit the lottery i forsee my Z STOCK as hell!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 PM
ekim1

the Z is a great purpose built car. I think stock is fine...and going back to what "doublins" said...it really isn't worth it...

I learned my lesson when I was 19 years old...when my modified car got stolen. My situation wasn't as drastic as "doublins" with turbo and everything, but at a young age not making much...even rims, kit, suspension, audio...it all adds up to a lot and you spend a lot of time working for it.

Just have fun, be within your means...and financially sound decisions are much better than the cool rims or being a split second faster than another car.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:38 PM
cavallino33

I planned to not mod this car, however a NISMO LSD and 3.9FD are on the way so so much for that. That will probably be it though. What I like about this car is I don't feel I have to mod it to enjoy it. Sure I could have more power and better handling etc. but it's not deficient in stock form. Any mods I get are merely just because I enjoy modding not because the car needs to be fixed. I had a WRX before the Z and there were so many things I felt I had to mod just to get the car to feel "right".
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 PM
iceagetlc

I would never have even thought of getting a plenum spacer if it wasn't for this site. Or alot of other things. I was totally happy with my stock car before here...

Not to mention the whole $ situation.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 PM
StewartZ

Originally Posted by andreakobe44
I always hear about people on here that mod their Z. I'd like to but in a way it's like if it's faster it will be much easier to get a ticket and also it's quite a bit more expensive. So I have an 04 enthusiast and haven't done any mods. Do you think it's a waste to have a Z and not mod it?
Its all your opinion. If you feel perfecty fine with not modding it and know drive to mod it then nknow its perfect... I don't have much done to mibe either... pop charger smoked out tailights stillen spoiler and smoked corners.. I don't have the money to mod my car... But if you are fine with it stock then there is nothing wrong with that
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Casanova

All I have done to my Z... and this is all i will ever do - unless i win the lottery and install TT-

Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
BojanC350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got CF Z signs on the sides, and a 350z vinyl on the front windshield... now im pushing 380hp
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Eliane

IMO:

Pro mod:
Your car may look nicer and accelerate a little faster.

Contra mod:
Expensive and you won’t get more money compared to a stock Z once you trade in your Z. Sometimes even less money.

Everyone has different priorities.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:17 PM
350ZV3

I was sure I wouldnt mod my car that much: Then I bought a Stillen Cold Air kit. Then of course had to buy exhaust so in came the Borla. Then about $20,000 later in parts (Some listed below) and labor I finally can say I slowed down. But just 2 days ago I bought a new shift **** for no reason other then (well F*ck it) I can . I go by the principle its not the final product thats exciting and most important. Its the road you climb to get there. Buying stuff for my car and putting it in is just cool, relaxing, and exciting. An expensive hobby but awsome and extremely fun and enjoyable. What better feeling out there then when a part you just ordered arrived via UPS, FedEx, or DHL? Its like being a kid the morning of Christmas for me.

With 2 kids and a wife how else am i going to get out of the house? Next project is a chopper. And somewhere down the road the 30ft boat, center console, cuddy cabin, twin motors (not that I have it planned already LOL) will come.

Last edited by 350ZV3; 05-28-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Agentman03

Smile Whatever Flots Your Boat ..

Wax Her Up and Keep Her Detailed, and It Sounds Like You Will Be Happy ..
If You Had to Ask the Question I'd Say Youll Be Happy With a nice Clean Stock "Z" and As Long as You Keep Them Clean ..There Still a Looker ,and It Already Has all the bells & Wistles You Need ..
Enjoy the Summmer and the "Z" Ride ..
Old 05-28-2007, 05:31 PM
iknowitsfast

Yeah, i have a popcharger, thats it...and although i really dont want to mod the Z, i might have to add a conservative lip kit and some 19s while still keeping it clean.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by myZter
hey im korean with same mod ur gonna get..

once u start you cant stop, especially coming on this forum.. i like the rims that come with 06 but im wanting rims now looking at all these nice wheels here
Lemme know if you want to sell your 06 stock rims cheapish.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
fr0ng

The only thing I would do to mod my Z would be to get Nismo sway bars and suspension...and wider tires.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
steppinrazor

im def. puttin alot of mods into my z... but engine first for me, so far all i have done is installed a pop charger and a un pulley, but i should have the spacers and exhaust done within the next month or 2.... im not touchin the exterior till im done with the engine... but i do plan on gettin some enkei's(sp?) eventually...

i dont think modin your car gives you more of a chance of gettin pulled over, the faster my car gets the more careful i am in it.... your not gunna see me postin anything bout rollin my z or takin it too fast around a turn and loosin control, ive spent wayyyy to long savin up for this car to go ****in lose it

dont get me wrong i looooove to race, main reason for the mods and gettin the car in the first place, but you just gotta be smart about it... and a laser detector never hurts

Last edited by steppinrazor; 05-28-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by sry110
I think it's a matter of self-control and caring about what you want your car to be, not what people on an internet forum want your car to be. Don't feel pressured to buy the freshest set of Volks so that you can have your 10 minutes of glory reading the posts of all the other people drooling over your updated car pictures; instead, by the Volks because you will enjoy looking at them every single day as you walk up to and away from your car.

It's very easy to get caught up in what everyone else thinks and put your own opinions on the back burner. Like many have said, if you are happy with the car in its stock form then there is definitely nothing wrong with that.

Now, this is one of the better responses I've seen on this forum. Well thought out !!!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
mydogscool

What I have read since 03 (I bought an original pre order, still own it) is that there is very little horsepower gains to be had with any NA mods, definitely not worth the Hp/dollar ratio. Mine reamains stock.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Modding is like crack"
Bought a popcharger on Monday. Installed on Tuesday. Ordered a supercharger on Wednesday. Sent check on Thursday. I was broke Friday.
I really don't know what else I could have spent the money on that would make me grin as much.

The money for the SC was part of a big gift I was planning on giving myself one of these days anyhow. If there was something that would have made me happier, I probably would have taken the stock route.

Last edited by iStan; 05-29-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
SSP-350z

Originally Posted by istan
"Modding is like crack"
Bought a popcharger on Monday. Installed on Tuesday. Ordered a supercharger on Wednesday. Sent check on Thursday. I was broke Friday.
I really don't know what else I could have spent the money on that would make me grin as much.

Gotta love that grin !!!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh another thing. If you are going to mod, please have a plan of action before you start. You don't want to buy parts you have to replace because of another mod down the line. You won't necessarily need to know the exact part, but have an idea of what you want to add.
ie. Headers when you plan on TT.

For exterior, pick a theme you'll love to death. Then go with it it don't steer away. Eye on the Prize damnit.
ie. Denim Blue top on the ZR looks great. However, it's difficult to do anything on the exterior in black.

My car is going to be a timely project car. Built slowly in full stages. I will not be doing any installs until I have everything I need. Even have a deadline of my next oil change since I'll be jacking the car up anyhow to do it.
ie. Piecing together my cooling mods now. Once I have it all together, one big install.

The onesy twosy (sp?) part buying if great and all and it's hard to resist not putting it on, but please think ahead.
ie. Put on headers for a friend this weekend. I thought we were doing TPs as well. Find out the night before he hadn't ordered the TPs yet. We ended up doing the headers anyhow, but it would have been damn convinient to do the TPs as well.

Quick Reply: Does anybody not mod their Z?