Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
+1. Put $50 in a envelope each month. If you have a minor ding, then you have the cash to pay for it. Sort of like being your own insurance company.

Na that wouldn't work because it'll just end up as emergency beer money. To the OP sorry to hear man. There's not a lot you can do in these situations unless you catch them doing it. It sucks because I know how parking is at Universities. Good luck to ya.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Na that wouldn't work because it'll just end up as emergency beer money. To the OP sorry to hear man. There's not a lot you can do in these situations unless you catch them doing it. It sucks because I know how parking is at Universities. Good luck to ya.

that's TOTALLY what i'd spend it on. that and herb.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Chugg
its not so much the dent or the insurance, its the fact that the other person did not have the decency to at lest go tell the security guards, !
Well, yeah...you have a right to be upset about that.

But don't bash the insurance company, who has not even had time to reply to your claim. The insurance company won't be any happier about the other parties improper actions than you are.

bill
Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
bigrobg757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry that sux.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
hkman78

This is how insurance work: If you go thru your own policy, you always have to pay deductible even you are not at fault. The difference is when you are not at fault and you know who hit you, your insurance can subrogate against the other party's insurance and be able to waive or reimburse your deductible. In a hit and run scenerio, your insurance cannot subrogate against anyone so you have to pay deductible. Your insurance will cover your vehicle damages minus the deductible.

In any kind of accident, try to get all the information or at least get the othe car's license plate info so your insurance company can do the work and find out the owner information and go after him for the damages and your deductible.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
paulbk

Originally Posted by hkman78
This is how insurance work: If you go thru your own policy, you always have to pay deductible even you are not at fault. The difference is when you are not at fault and you know who hit you, your insurance can subrogate against the other party's insurance and be able to waive or reimburse your deductible. In a hit and run scenerio, your insurance cannot subrogate against anyone so you have to pay deductible. Your insurance will cover your vehicle damages minus the deductible.

In any kind of accident, try to get all the information or at least get the othe car's license plate info so your insurance company can do the work and find out the owner information and go after him for the damages and your deductible.
^^Exactly! Sounds like someone knows his stuff!

All in all, everything from door dings to fender benders to total loss accidents are all RISKS of driving and owning a car. Insurance is their to financially back you in these types losses. You are INSURED to be ENSURED that if a loss occurs you will be protected - BUT the terms and conditions of your insurance are dependent on many variables.

But in the end - you signed your policy! Who else is there to argue with that?

Not your fault, but again - its an assumed risk when you drive and own a car.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM
HitLines

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
You are better off raising your deductible to $1000 to lower your monthly, then put the money you save in a money market savings account until you have $1000+ to cover your deductible. You save in the long run.
+1

Insurance companies usually suck (save for my case when my previous car was totaled). Not much you can do except threaten to switch companies to someone who cares. You have lots of choices when it comes to companies but I'm sure they are (sadly) all the same.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Casanova

so i walk out of my class today and what do i see, my car with a hudge dent and 3 chunks of white paint all over my black car.

some one opened there car door into mine HARD and drove away. i was in class for 1 hour and 30 mintues.

i called the police, they came out and filed are "hit and run" incedent report. the school said "yeah we have cameras but if they are not focused on that point you cant tell much".

now i go and i call the insurance company and i get this "theres not enough dmg for us to cover it you need to find the guy and then we can make him pay for it have a nice day"
so basicly i am not going to get this guy because who cares right?

the school the police and the insurance company dont care at all when i need some help and do waht im suposed to do right? so why do i pay 180$ a month to get insurance when they wont fix my car when some one hits it?

this is total crap it makes me sick. so i am going to go buy a beater and just slam my door into every ones car doors because hey ill never get in trouble and they will all have to pay for it. this blows
LOL bad luck man... but why are u upset over $180 per month...

I pay $4,500 per year for my z... which = $4,150 american dollars..

Which = $350 per month american. But i dont have insurance right now mwhahahahahahha touch wood!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 PM
FALLEN1z

i just hate that sometimes it doesnt matter where you park because some people are just *******s. my dad rips on me for parking far away from everyone but he gets a new door ding every week. even parking in the back doesnt always make you safe tho...there are people like my boss that says when he sees someone parked in the back of a parking lot he assumes they think they're hot **** and parks right next to them just to **** them off. he also intentionally door dings them sometimes...he drives a geo prism.

people basically suck and there are always those out there with no resect for other people's property.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
If you don't want dings park away from other cars whenever possible.
Yeah, but theres always those one or two *******s that make it a point to park next to you when you do that.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Forest

This situation is exactly why people who park in high risk areas (schools, universites apply bigtime) should get a beater car. Otherwise your nice, new car WILL get damaged eventually. Having a beater car is well worth the peace of mind if you care anything about your nice car.

My girlfriend works at a university and has to park in a lot that is shared with one of the dorms. I swear she has a new scratch on her car every time I look at it. And she even makes an effort to park in the corner or on the end with no car on one side.

Last edited by Forest; 04-18-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 AM
zeekle

sorry to hear about your problem but this is why a lot of people here tell the college and High school kids to forgo expensive cars and drive a beater.

Really door dings suck but the insurance companies aren't going to pay for every ding or stone chip that happens.

I have a simliar problem at my work where people are always door dinging. Its a beater to work or pay extra to park somewhere else. There is no other option.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
gqong

sucks man good luck with the fix and keep us updated
Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 AM
blackstealthz

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
i just hate that sometimes it doesnt matter where you park because some people are just *******s. my dad rips on me for parking far away from everyone but he gets a new door ding every week. even parking in the back doesnt always make you safe tho...there are people like my boss that says when he sees someone parked in the back of a parking lot he assumes they think they're hot **** and parks right next to them just to **** them off. he also intentionally door dings them sometimes...he drives a geo prism.

people basically suck and there are always those out there with no resect for other people's property.

Your boss will eventually do it to the wrong person i cant believe someone would intentionally ding your door. What a finook!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
jovasi

Title should be "why did I choose such a high deductible???????????!??!"
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Chugg

yeah my plan over the summer is to get a beater to drive to and from school and work and just make the z the weekend car...i think that will be my best mod i ever do for the car
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Fooshe

This is all you need to know about the loss. The post is dead on. Your rates should not be effected as your car was parked and unoccupied...hardly a liability issue for you.

Originally Posted by hkman78

Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 AM
bailey bill

they said they will tell me tommorw when i go get it estimited
So...what has that evil insurance company told you?

bill
Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Chugg

well here are the pics of the dmg, the windshild has 3 small chips in it, the hood has a gash in it, and the door as you can see has some paint scuffs and a dent on it, not THAT bad but still makes me angry shes also very very dirty because the pollen is sooooo bad around here i havent been able to breathe for like 2 weeks
Attached Thumbnails why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?-hpim6130.jpg   why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?-hpim6131.jpg   why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?-hpim6132.jpg   why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?-hpim6133.jpg  
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Fooshe

Wait a second...you have damage in 3 different places? All this is obviously not from one door ding. You now have 3 different occurances, so you have 3 different deductibles!
1) windshield can be repaired very cheap.
2) Door will need dent repair
3) Hood needs paint.

Suggestions:
1) Fix the windshield as it is most likely something you can get a ticket for.
2) Fix the dent if you have the means.
3) Paint the hood if you can afford it or do some tough up spot painting if you can't.
4) Once you repair you car, get a clear bra for it.
5) lower your deductible if you don't want to bare the costs involved in this type of situation.
6) If none of this appeals to you, just live with it and chalk this up to experience.
7) Think about something before you bash another party. Looks like the insurance company really didn't do anything out of line here. Qwick to judge, qwick to anger....slow to understand.

All in all, it's not that bad.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Fooshe; 04-18-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: why do i pay for insurance?????!?!?