Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z+Rain=stay home?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z is a sports car, so most people who own one drive it like it's meant to be driven. But with ANY car out there, when the weather changes, your driving habit has to change too....so most of the people who like to take hard corners or like to put the pedal to the metal at every stop will complain that the car is not drivable in those situations....

I live in Houston, TX where we're known to have a flood season every year, and I drove my Z in every condition...I have a FWD car that I originally bought as my DD and to leave my Z for the weekend, but instead, that FWD sits in the garage (only used when I need the back seats) and the Z was my DD, even when I'm leaving the house knowing that it will rain all day...It doesn't matter if it's a FWD or RWD, you cannot drive hard in the rain. My coworker had a 2004 Maxima, and he spunned out on the freeway...it's not the car, it's the driver.

It's funny how some of you said that if you knew it was going to rain, you wouldn't drive your car. Yeah, I understand if you only use your car as a weekend car, or you like to keep your car rain-free...but to NOT drive the car when it rains because you think the car cannot handle the element, then why the hell did you buy the car? you could have saved yourself a lot of money buying a Corolla...

As far as the OEM tires, I have no problem with them, I went out and bought another set of OEM when I replaced my tires...just always use precaution when you drive in wet weather condition.

heck, I rode my gixxer in the heavy pouring down rain...it's not your vehicle that you have to worry about if you drive it properly, it's other people around you that you also have to look out for...

I've seen other Z' on the road when it rains and your headlights look bad*ss with the water rolling thru them...and I loved knowing that them people in front of me knew that it's a badass car behind them...and plus, your car looks a lot cleaner in the rain...

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 04-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine. And BTW, if a Z crashes in the rain, snow, or whatever -- it's not the Z's fault. It's the idiot driver's fault.
+ =
Attached Thumbnails 350z+Rain=stay home?-tard.big-1-.gif  

Last edited by gothchick; 04-25-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM
PP White Z

I dont have any problems, but of course I would if I tried to drive the same way as on dry, but that's just be retarded, if you do that, maybe you should learn how to drive.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM
HitLines

Originally Posted by xtremez350
i just leave my vdc on and take it easy.
Agree! I was very nervous about driving while it was raining after seeing countless threads of totaled Z's from simple puddles. (PM me for the growing list). I think a lot of it has to do with the model of Z you have. It seems like the base and enthusiast models have a harder time sticking to the pavement when it's slick. That may or may not be the case. I think it ultimately depends on the driver (save for tires as well).

Just take it slow. When it rains it is the only time cars ever pass me.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by HitLines
Agree! I was very nervous about driving while it was raining after seeing countless threads of totaled Z's from simple puddles. (PM me for the growing list). I think a lot of it has to do with the model of Z you have. It seems like the base and enthusiast models have a harder time sticking to the pavement when it's slick. That may or may not be the case. I think it ultimately depends on the driver (save for tires as well).

Just take it slow. When it rains it is the only time cars ever pass me.

No it isn't and no they don't. A Z will not spin and flip because of a puddle. It's not the car, it's not VDC, it's not the tires. It's you drivers. Go drive a cheap pos for your first and second cars. See what they can do... then move on. **** this is aggravating. If you're scared of a puddle hand in your keys.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 AM
HitLines

Tubbs, I was agreeing with you. ;-)
Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
jeff91ta

NEVER drive a Z in the rain..... in stock trim it is TOO powerful and with any amount of gas the Z will lose control and slide into a ditch faster than a 4-door honda with an upside down emblem!!!

j/k.... the Z is perfectly fine in the rain.... I would highly question driver ability or error before questioning the Z's driving physics in wet weather.

I've always driven rwd cars and have driven them without traction control, abs, tread on the tires etc. etc. ----> never had a problem!

Ice is what you need to watch for!!! Not if you're in Florida though.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Silkk

I didn't get to 90k+ miles by not driving in rain.

Never had a problem except when the tires get < 2/10ths (20%) remaining. Then it is time to replace them anyway as you can't get inspected at less than 2/10th to my knowledge...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
BMM

i heard they self destruct in any weather besides BRIGHT, SUNNY, and DRY!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 PM
MovingViolation

LMFAO at this thread. I drove my Z hundreds upon hundreds of times in the rain with zero problems and it was my first RWD drive car. There's just a lot of morons who can't drive.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
gotbooost

i actually pick the z first in the rain. other car is a 1990 crx thats about to fall apart. rain + vdc + z = safe even with summer tires.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 PM
VENOMSZ

No problems in the rain
Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Azn_Empurio

i find the car very dangerous in the rain...
especially with vdc off = suicide
Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 AM
KingLim

Has anybody made a comparison between VDC and TCS in the rain?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 AM
phenix

Originally Posted by deviantZ
IMO, the 350z performs like a champ in the rain. I'm originally from North Florida, bought my Z during a tropical storm, no probs. I certainly don't agree with the notion that the Z's performance characteristics drastically drop during rain.

I think alot of people just freak our once the first droplet hits the windshield, you can see it out there on the roads. It's like half their brains leak out through their ears.

It is a must that you adjust you driving style for rain, and I don't think a lot of people adjust, but that is true for ALL vehicles. Also, it something like the first 20minutes or something or a shower are the most dangerous, because the rain makes mud out of whatever junk(dirt/oil/etc) is on the roadway. Once the grime washes off, the roads perform much better. I personally prefer to drive most agressively after a good rain, while the road is still slightly damp, and clean.

My Z is my daily driver, sunshine/rain/snow, not so much as a close call yet. Respect the car's abilities, and it will get you wherever safe.

Oh and the stockies do suck overall, but they really aren't as bad as many people let on.

Note: My opinions are based on a VDC equipped vehicle.
+1,000,000

Same experience from me except I drive a base 06. The only problem I have is when I'm pulling out of parking lots, etc. my inside wheel tends to spin if there is a bump where the road starts . First mod will be TBD to kill that.

Honestly I wonder how many people that are killing their cars in the rain have modified, stiffer springs, shocks, or sways. Or switch to a tire with more dry grip but less hydroplane resistance. Hell, you could even lose a lot of wet traction by running tire pressures to high or low, but that shouldn't be happening because this car is so easy to check pressures in.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 AM
kayfuNk
Banned

350z+rain+bad inexperienced driving=stay home.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only people that complain about the Z not handling great in the rain, or even dry pavement, should not be driving one in the first place. matter of fact, they should not be driving at all
Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 PM
NA350Z

Daily car, I drive it year round, rain, sleet, snow, just apply yourself to the conditions thats all. As far as rain, its perfectly capable.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Black Duck

I only take mine out in the rain.

When the weather is good I leave it in the Garage.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM
azula

i don't have too much experience driving my z in the rain (garaged) but the times i have got caught in the rain, i haven't had any problems.

Quick Reply: 350z+Rain=stay home?