Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Rock Wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight Adjustment

Has anyone adjusted the headlights on their 350Z yet? I have a too low left and a too high right beam that drives me crazy. Mine's a track model with HID and the manual (on CD) shows a drawing and brief description of the procedure. I cannot for the life of me however find the adjusting screw it speaks of. I can of course have the dealer do it at the first service, but would prefer to aim them myself for the conditions I normally drive in when dark which is a back country road with little traffic.

On another note, I want to thank everyone here for the wealth of wisdom I've gained since having my Z for the last 4 weeks. I've spent the last 8 years in a '93 and '99 3000GT VR4 which I loved, but was just ready for something different. The Z isn't quite as quick, but I prefer the way it handles and find it just plain more fun to drive. I've installed a grounding kit from Z-xtreme and think the results were well worth 75 bucks. I also found dealing with them a pleasure. I did replace the radio with an Alpine system with XP reception and although much better than stock, will probably upgrade speakers in the future. I had two cigarette lighter receptacles put in above the radio during the install and found this much more convenient for the V1 and G-Tech. Half my Stillen exhaust arrived today (FedEx is searching for the other half) and I look forward to seeing if will bring the Z closer to the acceleration figures of the VR4. I have had none of the tire feathering, window grease, rattles, suspension hop, etc. problems I've read about here. I do wish 1st gear was a little taller and there was a little more room to store things, but I can't complain because I knew that going in.

I didn't mean to ramble on so if anyone has aimed their headlights, it would be great to hear what I am missing. I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Wild West

Hey Rock... I've got massive headlight problems also. I had to have one of my lenses replaced and the headlight hasn't been the same since. I have seen the pages you mentioned in the manual (park 10 meters away from a wall and 'aim here'). I sat next to the dealer while he did it on mine, and you have to have a VERY long screwdriver. At least on the driver's side light, you stick it down between a black plastic brace and the headlight housing. It doesn't look like a screwhead, but somehow the technician got the headlight to rotate up, and I noticed difference in the aim of the beam...

Anyway, it could be worse. My headlights still aren't right, and the dealer is apparently clueless about how to fix it. My entire saga is at:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=31019

Anyway, good luck.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Rock Wall

Thanks for the input Mr. West. I'll check again using the "not a screw" theory. Maybe it could be like adjusting drum brakes with a screwdriver. Although my problem is more of just an annoyance, I had a problem like yours a few years ago after installing some PIA Superwhites. The first try I didn't get the bulb in quite right and it did pretty much what you describe in your other thread.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 PM
azaz

There is a little metal cover that you have to remove to see the headlight aiming gears. Good luck putting those things back on too!!!!