Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z roadster vs S2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the description. I don't expect the ZR to handle like the S. Just from what I have read I don't expect the S to have the low end power of the Z as well. For going around town with the occasional spirited drive it sounds like the Z is the way to go.

Comparing the looks is just personal preference. The Z has an aggressive look to it and really sets itself from the S. I loved the front end of S.

One thing I hated was how many people asked me if I had the new model of Miata or how I like my Miata. I don't think I will get confused with anything on the Z.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
M1r4cL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an Grand Prix White 2005 Honda S2000 for almost 2 years. The car was a blast to drive and when driving 10/10ths. The agility and reflexes of the S are much better than the Z.

The only downside is driving 6/10ths daily. Day after day it's not that comfortable. I hurt my back snowboardin and driving the S just made it hurt more.

I traded it for a 2004 Performance Z coupe and have rarely regretted it. The Z is much better at day to day chores and long cruises while still maintaining the speed to beat an S in a straight line.

I've raced a couple of my friends w/ lightly modded S2ks and my stock Z has yet to lose. For the S2k to be competitive in a straight line requires a perfect launch... something tough to do in an S because there's such a fine line between spinning the tires and bogging down.

That being said i'd still choose an S2k over a Z to take to a non-competitive track day.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 AM
theintimmydator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S will eat a ZR in every performance aspect given that the S is an AP2 (04-08). The Ap2 is significantly faster in a straight line than the older generation. That car is truly an engineering marvel. It offers a driving experience that exquisitely defines the true meaning of a proper sports car. Connectedness to the road, feedback, probably one of the best manual trannies in the world, the screaming little beast under the hood, excellent chassis, suspension and the list goes on. It is amazingly well balanced. Honda did a really good job with this thing.

However, the car is now almost 10 years old and it's starting to show signs of age. Interior space, design, features and amentities, etc. are all beginning to lack when compared to the new roadsters. I mean yeah the S is a completely 100% a driver's car and a purpose built racing module, but at this day and age, it would not float the average joe's boat. The ZR offers a better compromise between performance and comfort/luxury. It will satisfy pretty much anyone who wants a stylish drop top with awesome performance coupled to good reliability. Really depends on what you are looking for. I've had extensive experience with both of these cars and to be honest, i would rather be stuck in traffic in Los Angeles roads in a ZR than in an S. However, the S would never fail to deliver on those nice sunny days in a winding mountain road.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM
DraGonAlchemist

get the STI. .gf's got an 05. .i freaking LOVE IT!!!. .i have to hook up my Z just to keep up. .
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 AM
kenpo_350Z

Does the Z stand a chance against the STi? I know the speed and power are amazing in the STi but I just think I would miss the drop top. Plus I am not sold on the looks of the STi just yet.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
Does the Z stand a chance against the STi? I know the speed and power are amazing in the STi but I just think I would miss the drop top. Plus I am not sold on the looks of the STi just yet.
i believe the 05 sti looks the best. .they buttered up that aggressive look it had to fit the more new age crap. .in the new years.

but truthfully stock to stock me driving my Z and my GF driving her sti. .she blew the Z away man i mean i could sort of keep up at about 6 car lengths behind @ about 120-140mph (3am no traffic at all on the road) . .but she says thats because she was letting up on gas, and i was pushing the Z to it's limit at that time. this was Parkway driving so complete straight away. .power to power sti craps on the Z from what i was seeing. .but handling wise the Z will out perform the sti to my experience from driving both. now this is STOCK VS STOCK mind you. and this was also 3 years ago give or take. since then she's hooked it up extremely nice.
If i can i'll get some pix of her STi which she calls LUCIFER!

till this day she still does not let me live it down. . .that i lost!!!

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 02-13-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 AM
ZKansasZ

No STI for me I dont care how fast it is, lol. Its personal taste and I dont like 4 doors cars...
Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by 350z-noob
No STI for me I dont care how fast it is, lol. Its personal taste and I dont like 4 doors cars...
yeah it's nice but i want 2 doors as well. .that way when my friends are like OOo lets go somewhere. .i can be like well whose driving cause i can't with 2 seats! mu hahahhhaa!

i drive both cars tho. .so for somethings z's amazing and for some things the sti's amazing. .like todays snow. .STI babY!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
haha ... for the record My Z probably weighs less than 3400 lbs (no cats, spare, tools, 1/4 tank of gas).

I plan on weighing it at our next track night this April. I'll be on MT ET Streets ... no 20s.
GL. With Cats and Full tank I weighed in around 368x.?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 AM
kenpo_350Z

Can you give me some more comparisons on the STi and ZR. I love the speed and power but my wife thinks they are ugly. I think the Z's look amazing compared to the STi's as well. I love the interior of the STi's though. They are pretty sharp. The headlights have 3 different adjustments, manual differential control, and some other tweaks that are pretty nice.

Its almost not fair to put them in the same category. AWD vs RWD, turbo vs non. The list goes on, but I will have the car for a while I just want to make the best choice.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
i believe the 05 sti looks the best. .they buttered up that aggressive look it had to fit the more new age crap. .in the new years.
Compared to what, a wrx or a lancer? Most STI owners will even tell you they didn't get the car for "looks".

I hope you didn't mean the STI looks better than a Z or an S for that matter.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Can you give me some more comparisons on the STi and ZR. I love the speed and power but my wife thinks they are ugly. I think the Z's look amazing compared to the STi's as well. I love the interior of the STi's though. They are pretty sharp. The headlights have 3 different adjustments, manual differential control, and some other tweaks that are pretty nice.

Its almost not fair to put them in the same category. AWD vs RWD, turbo vs non. The list goes on, but I will have the car for a while I just want to make the best choice.
well to date i can tell you so far our sti has had no recalls, tsb's or anything to my knowledge that i had to check for due to not one problem since we got it. (she got it) haha. .only thing i did for her was change her tires from that racing slick to normal all season.
as far as a comparison, i'd say its what you look for like say. .i love to drive the z but with the nose so big in the beginning was hard to whip it cause you sit low inside as well. with the STI your sort of higher up so u can see all corner's of the car. .perhaps due to the RALLY inspiration of it. with that having no bearing on much, the sti in itself is just fun to drive. when the turbo kicks in and you feel that pull it's like DaYuM!!! even pulls in 6th pretty nice as well. it's pretty spacious inside as well due to some (if the cars a rocking dont come a knocking) haha. .can't pull that off in the Z. Sticking and clutching tho i sort of like better in the sti as well. .i can drive it with out even using the turbo, or smash on it to crap on some people. sometimes my Z drives a little weird like one day bam it's amazing and the other it has a mood swing or what not. the Recaro's grip your body nice and tight as well in the sti. .no slippage on that fiber. AWD's amazing as well compared to my Z. .i can drive it anywhere at any time. .the Z i sort of have to baby around in crappy weather. .and go slow. .but with the sti i can fly and the car will take over. best feature is being able to have the switch to transfer power around the wheels. .you can make it FWD/RWD/AWD at any time. .it'll still be AWD. .but more power to either front or rear. .so feels RWD or FWD. .it's pretty tight for burn outs if your into that. .
i dont kno i like them both for their differences and advantages. .

all in all it' s up to you. .4 or 2 doors? turbo or NA. .AWD or RWD
Subaru or Nissan. . .
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Compared to what, a wrx or a lancer? Most STI owners will even tell you they didn't get the car for "looks".

I hope you didn't mean the STI looks better than a Z or an S for that matter.
the context i was referring toward was the sti in itself. .not compared to any other make or model. .
meaning the 05 sti to me looks better then the rest of the years the sti was made. .
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
I owned an Grand Prix White 2005 Honda S2000 for almost 2 years. The car was a blast to drive and when driving 10/10ths. The agility and reflexes of the S are much better than the Z.

The only downside is driving 6/10ths daily. Day after day it's not that comfortable. I hurt my back snowboardin and driving the S just made it hurt more.

I traded it for a 2004 Performance Z coupe and have rarely regretted it. The Z is much better at day to day chores and long cruises while still maintaining the speed to beat an S in a straight line.

I've raced a couple of my friends w/ lightly modded S2ks and my stock Z has yet to lose. For the S2k to be competitive in a straight line requires a perfect launch... something tough to do in an S because there's such a fine line between spinning the tires and bogging down.

That being said i'd still choose an S2k over a Z to take to a non-competitive track day.

If you want best of both, you get the NISMO Z which out handles the S2k CR.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
the context i was referring toward was the sti in itself. .not compared to any other make or model. .
meaning the 05 sti to me looks better then the rest of the years the sti was made. .
Oh ok ... nevermind.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM
kenpo_350Z

Since I can't afford the Nismo that is pretty much out the deal. I know for sure I don't want to go back to the S2000. It is down to either the STi or the ZR. I will be looking for the 04,05 ZR or the same year STi. They are pretty similiar in price range but difficult to decide on. I don't drive like a maniac in the winter so I think I could make the Z work all year around.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Since I can't afford the Nismo that is pretty much out the deal. I know for sure I don't want to go back to the S2000. It is down to either the STi or the ZR. I will be looking for the 04,05 ZR or the same year STi. They are pretty similiar in price range but difficult to decide on. I don't drive like a maniac in the winter so I think I could make the Z work all year around.

hmm. .thats cool. .consider trying something new as a family man, and get away from the convertables. .and RWD's. . .try an AWD haha. .

nah hey road test them and decide for yourself. .
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
kenpo_350Z

haha, well I don't have any kids yet so I don't have to worry about that just yet. I will definately test drive both before I decide.

Friday or Saturday I am getting together with my buddy who has the 05 STi. He is going to let me take it for a spin to see what I think.

On a happy note they are delivering my wifes new car to her this friday or saturday. That means I can start looking for mine. Woo hoo!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
the vert Z is a girl's touring car. it is heavy and ugly as pigshit.

the S2k is a true roadster, lightweight, small propotions and sexy looking. it was designed as a roadster and looks like it should.

I guess it comes down to what you want. the ZR is more of a lux touring car and less of a sports car than the S2k, but the interior is much larger and you have a much more useable powerband for cruising.

I want a S2k, and wouldn't even consider the ZR.
Eat me.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
the vert Z is a girl's touring car. it is heavy and ugly as pigshit.

the S2k is a true roadster, lightweight, small propotions and sexy looking. it was designed as a roadster and looks like it should.

I guess it comes down to what you want. the ZR is more of a lux touring car and less of a sports car than the S2k, but the interior is much larger and you have a much more useable powerband for cruising.

I want a S2k, and wouldn't even consider the ZR.
Again kiss my ***.

Quick Reply: 350Z roadster vs S2000