MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Hail Damage. (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/338320-hail-damage.html)

jdohman 02-22-2008 10:46 PM

Hail Damage.

Last Saturday a storm came threw my town which leveled my car with hail. I have never experienced a hail storm before and never had to get body work done on my vehicle. My insurance is labeling this a catastrophe and have a appointment on Sunday to have my car inspected at which time they will be writing me a check. I do not have any pictures yet to post but I wanted to know what to expect damage wise.

My Car is a 03 and it was is pretty mint condition. Now I have probally have 200 - 500 dents all over the car and a broken rear tail light.

I would say probably around a 100 dents on the roof, a 100-150 dents on the hood, 20 or so dents at the top of the bumper, 20 to 50 dents along the sides of the roof going down to the hood, back hatch probably has 50 dents or so. One side of the car has probally 5 -10 dents along the door and fenders the other side probally has 25 - 50 dents along the side.

I expect my car to be back to the same condition as before the storm and do not know what I should do. Should I get some estimates tomorrow before I meet the adjuster or just let him do his work? I have had several people tell me that with hail damage they typically just write the car off. Is this correct? I have a 10k dollar stereo system and would not be able to transfer it to another Z very easily as it is molded inside the car.

Also I have been reading about depreciation value? Can anyone explain it to me?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

chromesilver6 02-22-2008 10:51 PM

Man, i bet youre sick to your stomach right now, or at least i am from just reading that. Your car will never ever be the same and if it has as many dents as you say then most likely they will totall the car. I fell for you man. Hope it works out.

DJMatrix1067 02-22-2008 10:57 PM

interesting. what part of frisco were you in?

I live off rolater and preston, and the hail we caught did minor damage to my friends car (G35 Sedan), but not enough to total it out. Who is your insurance provider?

My friend called his insurance (allstate) and they told him that it would be handled just like a normal claim (he has full coverage.) he had to pay his $1000 deductible, but then they covered the rest.

As for going to shops, there really is no need, because the insurance adjuster will estimate how much insurance is GOING to cut you a check for. Now, if you think you can get a body shop that will fix the car for cheaper, than you would shop around and see who will do it for the cheapest. that way some of that money can go into your pocket. but in my general experience, the insurance will cover the damage fully with little extra. keep in mind, they do this all day long. they know how much it should cost.

in texas, if the damage reaches 60% of the estimated value of the car, then they will total it out. so if your 2003 is worth around 20-21k dollars, then 60 percent is about 12,000 dollars in damage. if the damage exceeds that, they will label the car as totaled, and cut you a check for the estimated value of the car (20-21k). im not sure if they go by trade in, or private party sale. either way, you will not be able to get your stereo covered unless you declare the value of the car as being higher because of the stereo, and even then because its not part of the car, idk how that would work.

idk what part of frisco your in, but based on what my friends cars have looked like from the same area of frisco as me, i doubt its totalled.

take some pics and lets see how bad it is.

jdohman 02-22-2008 11:02 PM

I am on lebanon between coit and hillcrest. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow in the light and post them. I wouldnt be posting if the damage was just a little. My entire car looks like a golf ball.

DJMatrix1067 02-22-2008 11:07 PM

wooow. i guess you guys got hit hard. sorry to hear that man.

hey if you need a transport or anything let me know. from one Z to another.

onedirtyz 02-23-2008 01:36 AM

god that sucks. it started hailing here in my neighborhood in los angeles today but the hailstones were tiny..i allllllmost got up to check on the car then realized they were so small they were melting as soon as they hit the ground.

but man.. i would cry if my car got dented 300 times by hailstones :(

Sean 02-23-2008 04:26 AM

I need to see the dents.

davidv 02-23-2008 06:32 AM

Sounds like every body panel must be replaced. The car is totalled.

skn5002 02-23-2008 08:11 AM

I've seen a car that went through a hail storm before and man... it wasn't pretty:eek:

zipgun 02-23-2008 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear it man. But gotta agree with the others, cars Ive seen or heard about with similar hail damage were written off.

jdohman 02-23-2008 01:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few that I was able to take today.

I went to a couple body shops and everyone told me every panel had to be replaced. Paintless dent repair was not a option on my vehicle. This means my entire car needs to be repainted :(

They also told me I would probally be without my car for over a month which really blows as well.

jdohman 02-23-2008 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another picture

-uploaded the wrong picture

onedirtyz 02-23-2008 01:52 PM

OH MY GOD.

*runs out to check her car for dents from yesterday's hail*

fallenromeo 02-23-2008 01:55 PM

Damn! Im sorry about your car! That really sucks

Sean 02-23-2008 01:56 PM

If they let you keep that car after paying you off, I would still try liquid nitrogen to pop some of the dents. You could also turn it into a track car and not worry about the cosmetics.

jdohman 02-23-2008 01:56 PM

I also noticed today that my back window is cracked at the bottom. And as I drove it around today it kept getting worse with every bump and every time I shut the door. It has now taken over the ENTIRE wondow to the point I went and bought duct tape because I was afraid it was going to fall in on all my custom fiberglass.

Hraesvelg 02-23-2008 01:59 PM

DAMN!! :eek:

nfhsdt08 02-23-2008 03:23 PM

soo if they do total it out what happens to the car??

davidv 02-23-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by nfhsdt08
soo if they do total it out what happens to the car??

You sign the back of the title. They write you a check.

davidv 02-23-2008 03:28 PM

I wonder how the glass survived?