Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

automatic z

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
xp350z

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by will350z
but not knowing how to drive stick is just sad, everyone should know how to (It's a blast).

+1
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Donsred350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I some times think of trading for a 350Z Roadster in that case as much as I like MT after driving my friends 5spAT I think I'd get the Roadster with the 5AT. Its basically a Tourer then anyway so I might as well look good as easy as I can. Its almost as much fun if you put it in manual mode, almost.

I'm happy with my coupe in 6sp MT but 5sp AT wouldn't be bad in my next Z the Roadster.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by xp350z
seems like it already is....

guess I am IN before the mod locks this, which I think it should be locked. We had many topic like this already!!!

Last edited by ZKansasZ; 04-04-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeman
I have a auto and I love it, BUT I wish I had learned how to drive a stick shift.
u should try it..it took me about an hour to learn it...

=)
Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Pin69

Z= Sports car, Sports car=manual.
They shouldnt even make Sports cars in AT. What a waste. Thats my opinion
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
ed350

automatic is for people with kids like suv, van, and camarys ect. not for sport cars..sport should be driven manually.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long, but inevitably the haters have spoken...

Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by ed350
automatic is for people with kids like suv, van, and camarys ect. not for sport cars..sport should be driven manually.
I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few AT drivers on this board who could drive circles around you...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
boostinger

i can drive a stick and i test drove my first z and it was a stick which i loved but i got a auto because i felt it was more logical for the kind of driving i do and i still think it is fun and yess i feel the power plus if you want to mess around a lil you still have the triptronic/manumatic whatever it is called but go with what suits ur driving
Old 04-05-2008, 03:15 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depend on cars though...my bro used to have (auto) Benz AMG SL55 and i couldn't even see his back bumper when i race him.. =) some people like auto and some people doesn't...i just wanna say drive safe and enjoy your car.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pin69
Z= Sports car, Sports car=manual.
They shouldnt even make Sports cars in AT. What a waste. Thats my opinion

didn't take long for misinformed individuals with their misconception about a sports car being manual. there are many "sports cars" out there that have switched to being automatic, do a google and look it up yourself. plus when it comes to the manual in a 350z, i would rather be spending the time driving my car than having it in the shop getting all the tranny problems fixed or replaced. you still doubt do a search and read yourself all the issues the Z has with the maual tranny.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
gregom

I agree the Z should never have been offered in an auto, also my opinion... I realize there are people out there who cant drive a manual but they should learn if they want a sports car.

Saying that all auto owners will say auto is better and all manual owners will say manual is better is not a fact though. I drive a auto and say manual is better. I wish I had a manual ZR but couldn't find one in the entire year I spent looking for a ZR so I gave up. It's still an awesome car and loads of fun and i'm glad I did it, plus it is nice to just put it in auto and forget about it and cruise sometimes. And once you learn how the computer handles the auto you can be quite effective with it in terms of controllability compared to a manual.

But no matter what, in an auto (at least our auto) you will never be able to do a proper launch, never be able to chirp the wheels going into 2nd or 3rd, never be able to skip gears up or down, and you'll never be able to 'pop the clutch' in mid-corner to get the rears loose. All of these things about a manual make the driving experience more entertaining and flexible compared to a auto. The ONLY thing keeping the auto Z's in the 'okay' and these threads still going is the fact that its still just as quick as a manual Z. If it was a fair bit slower, this conversation would not be happening right now.

So I leave anyone who doesn't know how to drive a manual with this statement: If you at all even considered a manual, learn to drive it on a old beater car and get used to it. Once your used to it, then make the decision if you want a manual or auto sports car.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 PM
phantom33ace

i have 6speed zr. its different!!!
get 6speed. i learned stick with this car i love it.
once u get use to it, u dont feel anything.
ur hands are ganna be auto tranny.
dont ask ppl just get 6speed
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 PM
black06z

Originally Posted by Tatelasteil
Let me make this plain and simple...

track days, major mods, dont live in downtown traffic = 6 speed

no track days, bolt on, live in metropolitan area with nasty *** traffic like downtown L.A.= 5 speed AT

Enjoy your Z, she is sexy and fun either way.

+1. Not everyone's lifestyle, job, preferences, locations, and schedules are the same.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by gregom
I agree the Z should never have been offered in an auto, also my opinion... I realize there are people out there who cant drive a manual but they should learn if they want a sports car.
Whether or not driving an AT or MT is subjective at beast, but let me ask you a few questions...

Why does it bother you so much that the Z is offered in AT? Why does it bother you that a different person chooses a car how they want, and not how you want? What do you believe gives you the right to be able to dicate what they can or cannot drive?

So, please explain why it bothers you so much that a person is able to choose based on their own desires instead of having to conform to your standards? I'm really curious to see what your answer is.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Seamless acceleration?...hmmm...GREAT!. That's why the invented the CVT!
274ft/lbs of torque vs. 260...hmmm...GREAT!. City driving? No problemo! Huge
accident on the freeway/traffic jam??? GREAT! Relax, & listen to the music!!!
--Old/wise man from the AST zone.
(Actually, it's your call, dude; go with your personal liking!).
Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Iceman007

Ive got an automatic, and I could care less what other people think cause I know I got a bad azz car, lol! Seriously though, its a preference thing. I have an old jacked up wrangler that Ive had forever and its a manual, fun when Im just cruising around on a nice weekend, but annoying in stand still stop and go traffic. I decided on automatic because its nice to kick back and relax, especially with a chick in the car, you dont have to worry about shifting with your left hand while ur right hand is on her leg, other manual drivers out there, I think you know what Im talkin bout.. ;o)
So dont worry about it, get what ya like, and just enjoy the feeling of driving an incredibly made, sleek fast car!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Wolffe G Puppy

Originally Posted by Iceman007
especially with a chick in the car, you dont have to worry about shifting with your left hand while ur right hand is on her leg, other manual drivers out there, I think you know what Im talkin bout.. ;o)
AMEN to that one brutha!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Whether or not driving an AT or MT is subjective at beast, but let me ask you a few questions...

Why does it bother you so much that the Z is offered in AT? Why does it bother you that a different person chooses a car how they want, and not how you want? What do you believe gives you the right to be able to dicate what they can or cannot drive?

So, please explain why it bothers you so much that a person is able to choose based on their own desires instead of having to conform to your standards? I'm really curious to see what your answer is.
Wow, you are really defensive here and i'm not sure why. Your response suggests the OP got an auto and I am now shunning him for doing so. If you will kindly take notice of the first post in this thread, because the OP is actually asking for everyones opinion on how a Z should be driven, auto vs. manual and states he never learned to drive manual. I provided my comparratory experience between autos and manuals and reasons why a manual would be better for a sports car. I then recommend he should at least learn to drive manual to make an informed decision before buying a Z. I never said it bothers me that people choose what they choose.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
BlueZ Brother
Custom Title.

Originally Posted by anthone
I love the zee but should it be driven manually? I've never really taught myself how to drive manual. I'm concerned about racers and other z owners out there that will laugh for owning an automatic. Should I learn manual ?
You'll get a lot more out of your car if you do decide to learn a manual shifter...if you develop your skills well enough it can really be more rewarding to drive and turn you into a better driver. On the other hand, the automatic is more practical if you do a significant amount of city driving or in traffic, at least from my experience.

Honestly, a Z is really a Z no matter what transmission it's sold with. I don't think anyone I've shown my car to really cared that it was an automatic. Nor did I.

Quick Reply: automatic z