Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

couple gas saving tryouts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 AM
randymack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple gas saving tryouts

last week there was a mention in a post about gas mileage that somebody coasted in 6th (not neutral) well i put it to the test as i have to go down a 3/4 mile hill everyday. in three tryouts as soon as i hit the hill i re-set my computer and put it in neutral...evry time coming out of it with a reading of 99.9. all three times coasting down the hill in 6th it usually read around 68.8. so being in gear DOES use a little more gas by my findings.

then i tried turning the car off at every light that was going to be red more than 10 seconds. on multiple trips home i usually got about 1 mile per gallon (0.8)more instead of idling at those lights. honestly i will not keep doing this as it was just annoying,and more work, and loss of AC etc but it does seem to help too.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 AM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell the z and get a civic ... LOL
Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by raf84ny
sell the z and get a civic ... LOL
and continue to coast in neutral, dont forget to shut it off at every light and keep that AC off with the windows up.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 AM
stein

Didn't need to test it out, the obvious as you found out is that in 6th going down hill would cause the engine to rev = engine breaking and in neutral allows the engine to idle.

When I get behind some a-hole conserving gas by steady acceleration and coasting to the next light I want to get out and beat them. Please don't be that person!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Datapimp

How about we use our own oil reserves instead of sending the Saudis a trillion $ a year? Yes that is trillion with a “T”, look it up. Flood the market and watch the price of gas drop like a rock. We need to quit whining and do something about it. We don’t have to pay these prices. Keep bending over peeps; $4 a gallon is just the beginning. When it is $8 a gallon, will we do something then? What about $10?

We are the only country on earth that restricts and bans the gathering of its own resources. Ridiculous!

But oh no, must insure the survival of the buck tooth bubble butted crotch cricket.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by randymack
last week there was a mention in a post about gas mileage that somebody coasted in 6th (not neutral) well i put it to the test as i have to go down a 3/4 mile hill everyday. in three tryouts as soon as i hit the hill i re-set my computer and put it in neutral...evry time coming out of it with a reading of 99.9. all three times coasting down the hill in 6th it usually read around 68.8. so being in gear DOES use a little more gas by my findings.

then i tried turning the car off at every light that was going to be red more than 10 seconds. on multiple trips home i usually got about 1 mile per gallon (0.8)more instead of idling at those lights. honestly i will not keep doing this as it was just annoying,and more work, and loss of AC etc but it does seem to help too.

your research = the fail.

Coasting in 6th with rpms below 1500(closer to 1k) will use the motor to power the car. Hold the rpms to anything above 1500 there there will be no fuel entering the engine.

Coasting in neutral requires the engine to maintain idle which uses gas.

Dont believe me........throw a wideband a/f sensor on your car and watch it pef out to full lean when you coast in gear above 1500 rpm.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 AM
magna750

Originally Posted by Datapimp
How about we use our own oil reserves instead of sending the Saudis a trillion $ a year? Yes that is trillion with a “T”, look it up. Flood the market and watch the price of gas drop like a rock. We need to quit whining and do something about it. We don’t have to pay these prices. Keep bending over peeps; $4 a gallon is just the beginning. When it is $8 a gallon, will we do something then? What about $10?

We are the only country on earth that restricts and bans the gathering of its own resources. Ridiculous!

But oh no, must insure the survival of the buck tooth bubble butted crotch cricket.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey how about another MPG thread.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 AM
roast

Originally Posted by Cux350z

Coasting in 6th with rpms below 1500(closer to 1k) will use the motor to power the car. Hold the rpms to anything above 1500 there there will be no fuel entering the engine.

Dont believe me........throw a wideband a/f sensor on your car and watch it pef out to full lean when you coast in gear above 1500 rpm.
+1

I was about to say the same thing... dude needs to try again...
Old 06-08-2008, 04:37 AM
djfujiyama

Not sure if this is normal...

but replacing my clutch and flywheel with a JWT and light flywheel actually bumped up my avg mpg from around 22 to like 25 or 26. I use to max out around 24 when on the fwy. I'm getting closer to 27 now.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by Cux350z

No offense, but i'm still trying to grasp the concept that, while coasting in gear or engine breaking, it's possible for fuel to be absent in the combustion chamber while the engine is running. What happens in the compression and ignition stroke of the combustion cycle. If there's no fuel whatsoever, then it's impossible to ignite anything in the ignition stroke. I know that the Z is equipped with an overrun fuel shutoff device of some sort to maximize fuel efficiency, but I think it just minimizes fuel flow when power is not needed... not necessarily shuts off the fuel supply completely.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 PM
sno

You guys drive a sports car. Stop complaining about gas mileage.