2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

If you have a 6 speed Z, please reply

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 12:15 PM
aprez99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post If you have a 6 speed Z, please reply

Hi,
I am ordering my Z tomorrow. I was able to test drive one today, but it was an automatic. My question is this: how does the 6 speed shift compared to other cars. Please be as specific as you can. Overall feel, throw (too short/long) Is there play in between the gates? What I would like is a comparison to a BMW M3 (Which I am told is one of the best, if not the best) Or to a Porsche 911 (Which I have driven) If you can't compare to one of those two cars, feel free to compare to whatever you have driven. Also, are there any other problems people are having with the 6 speed tranny? Specifically in the 04 models, as it seems the problems are decreasing by ALOT. Thanks for all who reply, I can't freaking wait until the thing gets here.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:24 PM
travis9_350z

The z has overall good feel when shifting, but, you feel some vibration and such as its a direct connection to the tranny, no rubber grommets or anything

Basically, its great, very short throw and such, however, I Hope you don't run into the same problem I, and many others have experienced..

Grinding

with the clutch fully depressed, every now and then when you try and change gears, it simply wont go into gear, it just makes a terrible grinding sound....sucks

Hopefully I can get my tranny replaced...
Old 10-04-2003, 12:24 PM
dczoner

Throw length= very short, feels like short shift kits on other cars. I had an Audi A4 before my 350, and both had different feels. The japanese style gate is different from the european - aka, you really have to land your shifts on a japanese car, there's no "give". The 350 shift is clean and precise. The clutch on the other hand isn't very forgiving. This means that if you're having a lazy manual driving day, you might "hop" your gear changes, just cause you're not paying too much attention.

All told the 6 speed is solid. I've had no problems with my 8/20/02 delivered model, so I don't know of the tranny plague thats been floating around, although from what I've heard Nissan dealerships tend to be pretty cool about warranty repairs.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Bahraini350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6 MT Z is very fun to drive. I have 7000kms on it and it drives perfectly. It has a short shifter(short throws). You will be impressed with the way the car drives and handles. The M3 is a bit faster but cost $20,000 more!!! Same thing with porsche. You can be compared to a Lancer Evo(wich I have passed some) and an S2000. I have also passed a Lexus SC430 in a 0.7 mile race!
Get the manual!!! it's fun and shifts wonderfully!!

cheers
Old 10-04-2003, 12:29 PM
aprez99

Wow, those first two were very fast. Also, this "notchiness" that people are talking about, specifically in second gear: does it seem that something is actually wrong with the car? Or is it just on the "notchy" side, as far as how firm and precise the shifter is? I guess the point I am getting at is: Do you think something is actually wrong with your tranny?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had no real problems, I get an occasional grind while IN gear, but I am either coasting down in reverse or sometimes as I put the clutch in, I dont know why or what this is.

doesnt cause me any problems other than the painful sound. shifter is sharp and precise, it vibrates somewhat, but it is solid, and thats what I like, Ive driven lesser BMW(318) and civics; they feel mushy, like a sponge, the stick can be moved while IN gear. this is impossible on the Z, only place it will move is out of gear.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Dissolved

There are a million posts on this. The 350z tranny is notchy by nature. Yes it's normal for some gears to be notchier than others. Yes some of trannys have problems. Yes it is normal for them to make some noise. No it's not normal for them to grind.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:25 PM
cincyspider

I went from a 300ZX 5-speed to the 6MT 350. I love it! It's much shorter and quicker shifting than the 300. For the first couple weeks I was little wary going into 5th and 6th, but now it's very smooth going. Never had the grinding or notchiness others mention (knock on wood!) but my car is only 3 months new, so.....
Old 10-04-2003, 02:33 PM
noel48

My 2001 Miata had one of the best 6-speeds on earth yet I like my Z's better.Smooth and precise.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:49 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

My Zzz has short, precise throws with no shake, rattle, roll or grind. It is rock solid. I'm not familar with European sports cars but it is hard to imagine they shift any better.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
johnp69

My z 6 speed feel much better than my c4 6speed all around, shorter, smoother, no movement, more precise etc...
Old 10-05-2003, 03:51 AM
BoostTed

Compared to my last car an A4 with a short shifter the Z feels a lot more precise. But you the Z u gotta shift it like u mean it. With other cars I caa shift by just a flick of the wrist but with the Z it takes a bit more strength. Well thats after 400 miles of owning the Z.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:01 AM
stevew

I have found that it helps when going from 1st to 2nd to apply some leftward pressure when pulling down on the shifter. My problem is more in going from 5th to 6th, some times it does not want to go into gear, still trying to perfect a method that works there consistently.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:39 PM
ZPower

This tranny takes a bit of effort in the sense that you have to put it where you want it. It is very precise, very short-as short a throw as my last car's B&M short throw shifter, and it simply requires the driver him/herself to shift properly. All cars have their problems, that's no surprise, but all in all, you just can't be lazy shifting like in a Civic. By the way, this is by no means implying that people here can't drive or don't know how to shift. Oh and I myself love the vibration through the shifter. It really gives you a feel for the tranny/engine. I don't care about dampers or anything, this car is a machine and it gives great road/motor feel. Almost like a go-kart.

This is strictly my opinion.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:46 PM
BoostTed

the vibrations dont bother me at all it adds to the feel of the car. If anyof u gets a chance to drive an old classice 240Z u will see that nissan really went back retro, when i drive my Z it feels like as tho im driving my buddys 240Z the int is even setup the same. The sound of the tranny everything. And when he drove mine he said the same it was like being at home for him.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:57 PM
marhot

Short, precise throws with very direct feedback. More of a metallic feel as opposed to a rubbery feel. The action is like that of a bolt-action rifle (if you know what I mean). You really feel like you’re actually “putting it in gear”. Nothing like any other Japanese car I’ve ever driven.

Changing gears is a very “positive” experience. IMO, definitely get the 6 speed.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:33 PM
D'oh

I agree with what everyone has said so far.

To me, it feels as if there are almost two steps to shifting in the Z.

Step one is to shift out of the current gear and into neutral, and step two is to shift into the next gear. I'm not talking about double clutching or anything, it's just that the engagement is so positive, you definitely need to put some effort into the shifts. It doesn't shift fluidly from one gear to the next, but it is very precise.

When I drove my friend's S2000, his was much lighter and more fluid. It didn't feel more precise or shorter, but it was very easy to go from one gear to the next. I don't think it felt as solid, but it was very, very nice. I drove a Mazda 6, and the shifter on that was smooth, but very vague and rubbery feeling when in gear. I didn't like the feel of that one at all. It really made me miss the feel of the Z's shifter.

-D'oh!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:48 PM
2Fishy4U

ditto on the short, precise throws. Nissan's objective in designing the manuel was to make it as precise as the Honda S2000; however, because the Z has more power it supposedly is not quite as smooth.

Nonetheless, I have no complaints and would never order an automatic in this car.

Finally, I absolutely love the car; hope you feel the same way.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:59 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I love the shifter and the vibration. It makes my Eclipse and other such cars feel like cold mashed potatos. Specific enough? Hehe. Sorry, it's just that I can't add much else.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:27 PM
newz03

my performance 6mt has grinding problems during the 2nd to 3rd shift, mainly during first use. taking it to dealer for service tomorrow .GREAT FUN CAR

Quick Reply: If you have a 6 speed Z, please reply