Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:30 PM
knuckles899

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a side note I have no idea why my pics from FLIcKR double post in here.

Mounted my Nitto NT05 275/35/18 fronts 295/35/18 rears on RPF1 18x9.5 +15 18x10.5 +15. Stock suspension and ride height. Seems like everything clears without rubbing under normal driving at least.

by , on Flickr
by , on Flickr
by , on Flickr
by , on Flickr
by , on Flickr
by , on Flickr

Last edited by knuckles899; 03-18-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (03-18-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
definition of perfect fitment I kinda wish I got a pearl white Z instead of black. If I buy kojins my offsets are gonna be a bit different because I run the brembos. I'm gonna probably have to run +35 offset to clear the brakes which means I probably won't get that dished look...sadboys
You can go more aggressive on offset with the Enkei Kojin and Brembos. I just got some 18 inch Kojin installed with 25/15 offset and 8.5/9.5 width with 245/45 and 275/40 Sumitomos, which works out to 0 diameter difference for VDC. No rubbing, pretty flush, but I’m not too low with the Tein S.
Attached Thumbnails What have you done for your Z today?-0fc2514d-aef0-4260-aefd-0fc5aac40f94.jpeg   What have you done for your Z today?-1ff0f24d-46a3-4c02-926b-d9d4c2c9ac87.jpeg   What have you done for your Z today?-117e6c91-de25-4f71-b2ae-3e8009a8442b.jpeg   What have you done for your Z today?-19ecec05-039a-4595-ba74-72db8facb125.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Wet feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I didn’t like the matte finish so I polished mine out and then waxed them
Attached Thumbnails What have you done for your Z today?-a3606fc3-4d0d-445a-8f3c-772335ae3d10.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Rear diff bushing. The thing gushed so much it ran down the subframe before it stained my exhaust pipe.

Going with Prothane for the replacements. Also going to change the diff fluid and do the axle-click TSB.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,112 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdz
Rear diff bushing. The thing gushed so much it ran down the subframe before it stained my exhaust pipe.

Going with Prothane for the replacements. Also going to change the diff fluid and do the axle-click TSB.
Have fun and good luck with the rear diff bushing! I have done this twice on two separate vehicles and I can honestly say it doesn't really get any easier. lol.

The two side bushings on the diff aren't too bad and can be pounded out with a small sledge and a big socket. That rear one in the subframe is a PITA. Some like the threaded rod approach. I go with the combination of a drill, reciprocating saw, hammer, and chisel with some brute force.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

hole saw, sawzall, then hammer and chisel

but yeah, it sucks..... have lots o beer on hand
BigBlue (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

I am not looking forward to this when mine goes.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:36 AM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

nice fitment lol, i know using the oe style staggered rims on our cars is preferred because the tire width is part of the algorithm the VDC uses to figure out what the car is doing. My question is can you just permanently disable the VDC and the car will drive fine running all four tires the same size?

Originally Posted by Wet feet
You can go more aggressive on offset with the Enkei Kojin and Brembos. I just got some 18 inch Kojin installed with 25/15 offset and 8.5/9.5 width with 245/45 and 275/40 Sumitomos, which works out to 0 diameter difference for VDC. No rubbing, pretty flush, but I’m not too low with the Tein S.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM
meezusthegoat

Yeah, mine failed like that too shortly after I bought my car. I replaced all my diff bushings in my car at a shop for some Whiteline poly ones. Expensive but it's my Favorite mod for the Z thus far.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Pro tip for others looking to do this - Get the AutoZone OEM 6pt socket wheel axle nut kit (they loan it out for free) NOT THE 12pt SET!. The kit has the 32mm socket which you will need if you want to remove the axle nuts (eat your Wheaties before attempting) but it also has a 34mm socket which is perfect for driving out the differential ear bushings, just flip the diff over and start hammering.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:37 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

It wasn't that bad. If im bored tomorrow maybe ill drag my extra subframe down stairs and try to find an easy way to remove it.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Dhoffman

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had my new Transgo shift kit installed today and WOW! Worth every dollar. The mechanic told me to take it easy for about 200 miles. Even under normal driving you feel each shift twice as fast.
Great inexpensive mod.

Last edited by Dhoffman; 03-20-2018 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dhoffman:
Atreyu'z 350 (03-20-2018), SonnyWu (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
nice fitment lol, i know using the oe style staggered rims on our cars is preferred because the tire width is part of the algorithm the VDC uses to figure out what the car is doing. My question is can you just permanently disable the VDC and the car will drive fine running all four tires the same size?
Tire/wheel width has nothing to do with VDC. Diameter does. ECU is looking for a specific speed delta range and doesn’t care a bit about whether you’re running 8s or 12” steamrollers.

Staggered tire/wheel width has more to do with controlling the Z's penchant for snap oversteer - characteristic of the type of suspension the car is equipped with - Sadly, such control means having a bit too much understeer in OE condition. But it's all good, both conditions can easily be tuned in/out or amplified depending on what you need.

There IS a thread on here somewhere that discusses defeating VDC. For specific purposes, sure, like racing or drifting, totally understandable. I am, however, at a total loss as to how you can value tire rotation over stability. But hey, your car...

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-20-2018 at 08:00 PM.
meezusthegoat (03-21-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM
boamedt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dhoffman
Had my new Transgo shift kit installed today and WOW! Worth every dollar. The mechanic told me to take it easy for about 200 miles. Even under normal driving you feel each shift twice as fast.
Great inexpensive mod.
its weird, i have seen 1 vid showing it shift a little quicker, but in the other vids most just seem to shift harder , not any faster. Is your shift lag actually improved? I have done tons of research and, despite the transgo being my only hope, everything pretty much says u cant make it any less laggy. Maybe somehow most install it wrong? Most have said its a line pressure thing, which the the transgo could change, but electric tuning has not been successful
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by boamedt
its weird, i have seen 1 vid showing it shift a little quicker, but in the other vids most just seem to shift harder , not any faster. Is your shift lag actually improved? I have done tons of research and, despite the transgo being my only hope, everything pretty much says u cant make it any less laggy. Maybe somehow most install it wrong? Most have said its a line pressure thing, which the the transgo could change, but electric tuning has not been successful
Define "laggy".

I'm assuming you're talking about the time the transmission reacts to your manual gear change through the shifter (paddles?). Like [Click]<delay>[Clunk]...?

Do know that most shift kits operate on the principle of re-directed and/or restricting hydraulic flow. So, the "harder" sensation IS directly related to faster gear changes - once the transmission decides to obey your hand on the shifter I guess.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Define "laggy".

I'm assuming you're talking about the time the transmission reacts to your manual gear change through the shifter (paddles?). Like [Click]<delay>[Clunk]...?

Do know that most shift kits operate on the principle of re-directed and/or restricting hydraulic flow. So, the "harder" sensation IS directly related to faster gear changes - once the transmission decides to obey your hand on the shifter I guess.
There is a shift lag from 4th to 5th on the RE5R05A which actually is a mechanical design flaw. I remember reading about it when I was researching the Trans Go kit. The article explained what was actually happening mechanically, why it was happening, and how to remedy it.. It's on the web. If I find it I'll post it up here.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:59 AM
boamedt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Define "laggy".

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
There is a shift lag from 4th to 5th on the RE5R05A which actually is a mechanical design flaw. I remember reading about it when I was researching the Trans Go kit. The article explained what was actually happening mechanically, why it was happening, and how to remedy it.. It's on the web. If I find it I'll post it up here.
yea thats the lag im talking about. Mine has quite a lag. Its almost two seconds from moving the shifter/paddles until the tranny actually engages the next gear. I have noticed, perhaps pre programmed, that you can double down shift from 5th to 3rd and the tranny wont engage 4th if you are quick enough. However its not the same double downshifting from 4th to 2nd. It engages 3rd for a second and then goes to second. Unlike the smooth 5-3 shift i can get. I have been contemplating the transgo for sometime, but not really interested if it just made the gear changing harder. I wantwd it for faster less lag shifting
Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Getting some of my fluids changed out today at the shop. (Clutch, Power Steering and Brakes).
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
yea thats the lag im talking about. Mine has quite a lag. Its almost two seconds from moving the shifter/paddles until the tranny actually engages the next gear. I have noticed, perhaps pre programmed, that you can double down shift from 5th to 3rd and the tranny wont engage 4th if you are quick enough. However its not the same double downshifting from 4th to 2nd. It engages 3rd for a second and then goes to second. Unlike the smooth 5-3 shift i can get. I have been contemplating the transgo for sometime, but not really interested if it just made the gear changing harder. I wantwd it for faster less lag shifting
Hmmm, no solution for ya, especially with Eyegor's note about the "design flaw". But keep in mind that even if one has a "manualmatic" (shiftable) transmission, it's never going to quite have the type of crisp "right now" shifting that, say, a clutch driven sequential gearbox has. It's still subject to the mechanical/hydraulic limits of a slush box.

You mentioned something about "electric tuning".... I'm not at all familiar with Nissan auto gearboxes but I'd imagine there's an electronic aspect of this trans? Even still, somehow doubt electronics can overcome the fluid dynamics issue...
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM
meezusthegoat

Thanks for the info I found a thread dating a couple years back about how to defeat the VDC/TC altogether. And snap oversteer even with vdc off I haven't experienced that and I drive my car hard. All I get is some initial understeer and maybe a slight drift on exit but normally the car corrects itself so its not a problem

Tire/wheel width has nothing to do with VDC. Diameter does. ECU is looking for a specific speed delta range and doesn’t care a bit about whether you’re running 8s or 12” steamrollers.

Staggered tire/wheel width has more to do with controlling the Z's penchant for snap oversteer - characteristic of the type of suspension the car is equipped with - Sadly, such control means having a bit too much understeer in OE condition. But it's all good, both conditions can easily be tuned in/out or amplified depending on what you need.

There IS a thread on here somewhere that discusses defeating VDC. For specific purposes, sure, like racing or drifting, totally understandable. I am, however, at a total loss as to how you can value tire rotation over stability. But hey, your car...

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?