Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Well.. I ran over a fuking huge dead deer this morning on my way to work. Saw it at the last second and thought, ah ***. Had to pull over cuz ***** was dragging. It completely ripped out my front passenger side wheel well splash guard.. Could be worse. Still fuking irritated.
Damn, dude! And here I was thinking I was having a crappy day with MY car. I'm glad that Bambi's mom only cost you a splash guard. No other damage??
Old 01-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Damn, dude! And here I was thinking I was having a crappy day with MY car. I'm glad that Bambi's mom only cost you a splash guard. No other damage??
smh ********e.. The only difference I noticed after it happened was a dragging noise coming from the front passenger wheel, which turned out to be the splash guard rubbing against the tire. All of the push clips were ripped out except for one, so I just removed it altogether. No driveability issues whatsoever, which is good. There was fur and blood in the wheel well and underneath the car. That's it.. So yeah, it was a great day.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:26 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

Free venison.....
Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM
zakmartin

I’d leave the blood and fur on the car; it throws off the drug-sniffing dogs.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by travlee
Free venison.....

Heh. I did say deer, but I'm not positive that it was. The fur was black and there was a lot of it. Now I know deer have black markings here and there but this was ALOTTA black fur.. Maybe a dog.. dunno.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I’d leave the blood and fur on the car; it throws off the drug-sniffing dogs.

And I just spent all that time hollowing out my radio.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Heh. I did say deer, but I'm not positive that it was. The fur was black and there was a lot of it. Now I know deer have black markings here and there but this was ALOTTA black fur.. Maybe a dog.. dunno.
And I just spent all that time hollowing out my radio.

Break out the sniffer dogs, Eyegor's hiding a dead animal in his radio.
Atreyu'z 350 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by atreyu'z 350
heh. I did say deer, but i'm not positive that it was. The fur was black and there was a lot of it. Now i know deer have black markings here and there but this was alotta black fur.. Maybe a dog.. Dunno.
free chinese food
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
Atreyu'z 350 (01-09-2018), zakmartin (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

free chinese food
Trav, you just made my shid list.

No chow mein for you when you come to visit!

https://my350z.com/forum/south-west/...l#post10934508
Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 AM
travlee
Master

damn, even after i sent you a christmas card..... i see how it is
Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 AM
zakmartin

The Clunk
Final Chapter

It was a dark and stormy evening. As I pulled into the driveway, feeling dejected from the clunking noise that wouldn't go away and knowing that the wife would be home soon with taco bus food that would keep me up all night with the runs, I popped the hatch on my Z and pushed up and down on the rear of the car, hoping to hear a clunk, or maybe at least a click.

Nothing.

Dejected, I grabbed a rag to wipe down the wet and dirty tail lights when I noticed that the driver's side tail light made a horrible screech when I pressed down on it. There was this sound, like a garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building.

NO! Could it be? I popped the three screw covers off and removed the mounting bolts. As the last bolt came out, fighting against me with each turn of the nut driver, it took with it the flimsy rubber adhesive shim that goes between the assembly and the rear quarter panel. 'How peculiar,' I thought. 'Why, this could be the source of a sound, but surely not a clunk.'

I went into my sound deadening kit (yes, Mic, I have one of those too) and pulled out the necessary products to prevent hard ABS plastic from rubbing up against Nogaro Red goodness. I greased up the pins and fasteners and even added a shiny new washer to each of the three bolts.

I tightened everything down to torque spec using a good wrench, that's accurate to +/- 4% and is available at better online tool retailers everywhere, pushed down on the left tail lamp assembly and it was quiet. Maybe TOO quiet.

I closed the hatch, went upstairs and ate a terrible taco bus burrito while staring blankly into Vanna White's vacant, soulless eyes as a strange looking woman standing next to a man with a giant bobble head spun a great clunking wheel. The sound of this wheel perplexed me and I was overcome with an enormous sense of dread and anxiety. In due course, as the evening progressed into the hours of darkness, the taco bus burrito did, in fact, give me the runs.

Then came the morning, which greeted me with a cacophony of my own half-awake snores and a vintage alarm clock. I prepared myself for a new day and made my way into the garage at the bottom of my city dwelling. The great door opened and welcomed me to a cold, muggy and misty dawn. The Z sat there, sitting low and looking up at me like an old faithful dog; some unholy cross between a basset hound and a bright red schnauzer. I grabbed the door handle and was startled by how unusually warm the car felt to my cold, clammy hands. It's probably because it sits in a heated garage, but who really knows?

Five grueling miles to work over Seattle's worst roads. The potholes, the pothole patches, the new potholes... everything conspired to make the car clunk. And yet, everything was silent. Eerily silent except for the alpine horn exhaust rumble emanating from the rear of my hearty steed. Could it be? Could it possibly be?

THE CLUNK IS GONE. Praise Jeebus, THE CLUNK IS GONE!!!

It was a loose $#*$&@#!@# tail light assembly all along.

Boy, am I a stupid bastard.

Last edited by zakmartin; 01-09-2018 at 08:34 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by zakmartin:
Atreyu'z 350 (01-09-2018), dboyzalter (01-09-2018), HOMiEZ (01-10-2018), MicVelo (01-09-2018), SPM350Z (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by MicVelo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ysZk_KMXUE

Break out the sniffer dogs, Eyegor's hiding a dead animal in his radio.
You got me.. Was trying to make 2018 an anti-necrocleptobeastophiliac year, but 9 days was just too long.. I want a cookie, and need an intervention.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Atreyu'z 350

free chinese food

At least it's "cockroach free".. The last time I had Chinese food there were cockroaches in my pork fried rice.. True story.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Atreyu'z 350

The Clunk
Final Chapter

It was a dark and stormy evening. As I pulled into the driveway, feeling dejected from the clunking noise that wouldn't go away and knowing that the wife would be home soon with taco bus food that would keep me up all night with the runs, I popped the hatch on my Z and pushed up and down on the rear of the car, hoping to hear a clunk, or maybe at least a click.

Nothing.

Dejected, I grabbed a rag to wipe down the wet and dirty tail lights when I noticed that the driver's side tail light made a horrible screech when I pressed down on it. There was this sound, like a garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building.

NO! Could it be? I popped the three screw covers off and removed the mounting bolts. As the last bolt came out, fighting against me with each turn of the nut driver, it took with it the flimsy rubber adhesive shim that goes between the assembly and the rear quarter panel. 'How peculiar,' I thought. 'Why, this could be the source of a sound, but surely not a clunk.'

I went into my sound deadening kit (yes, Mic, I have one of those too) and pulled out the necessary products to prevent hard ABS plastic from rubbing up against Nogaro Red goodness. I greased up the pins and fasteners and even added a shiny new washer to each of the three bolts.

I tightened everything down to torque spec using a good wrench, that's accurate to +/- 4% and is available at better online tool retailers everywhere, pushed down on the left tail lamp assembly and it was quiet. Maybe TOO quiet.

I closed the hatch, went upstairs and ate a terrible taco bus burrito while staring blankly into Vanna White's vacant, soulless eyes as a strange looking woman standing next to a man with a giant bobble head spun a great clunking wheel. The sound of this wheel perplexed me and I was overcome with an enormous sense of dread and anxiety. In due course, as the evening progressed into the hours of darkness, the taco bus burrito did, in fact, give me the runs.

Then came the morning, which greeted me with a cacophony of my own half-awake snores and a vintage alarm clock. I prepared myself for a new day and made my way into the garage at the bottom of my city dwelling. The great door opened and welcomed me to a cold, muggy and misty dawn. The Z sat there, sitting low and looking up at me like an old faithful dog; some unholy cross between a basset hound and a bright red schnauzer. I grabbed the door handle and was startled by how unusually warm the car felt to my cold, clammy hands. It's probably because it sits in a heated garage, but who really knows?

Five grueling miles to work over Seattle's worst roads. The potholes, the pothole patches, the new potholes... everything conspired to make the car clunk. And yet, everything was silent. Eerily silent except for the alpine horn exhaust rumble emanating from the rear of my hearty steed. Could it be? Could it possibly be?

THE CLUNK IS GONE. Praise Jeebus, THE CLUNK IS GONE!!!

It was a loose $#*$&@#!@# tail light assembly all along.

Boy, am I a stupid bastard.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM
zakmartin

I called the wife to tell her about the noise being gone and her only response was, "And how much did you spend trying to figure all this out???"

I've been trying to convince her that the onset of the clunking noise and my suspension upgrade were unrelated, but it's clear she doesn't believe me.
carbuffguy (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I called the wife to tell her about the noise being gone and her only response was, "And how much did you spend trying to figure all this out???"

I've been trying to convince her that the onset of the clunking noise and my suspension upgrade were unrelated, but it's clear she doesn't believe me.

Haha.. Oh, not long. Just 96 hours.. I get it. You had to be EXtra sure that it wasn't any of the old ''unsafe'' suspension components. Safety first, right?.. Throwing that in there always seems to justify things.
zakmartin (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You think that's bad? Wait 'til the sound comes back like it did AFTER spending an inordinate-non-spousal-approved pile of green to discover the shock thing wasn't it after all.

Hahahahahahahahaaaaa..... yeah, I's heeheeeheeeeeevil.

Running along now. === ==== ===WHOOOSH======
Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM
zakmartin

Why isn't there a "No Thanks" button available?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Why isn't there a "No Thanks" button available?
Just push the F-U button down near the bottom of the page.

Hahahahahahaha.

But ya, you know I'm just rashin' ya.... I really hate when a problem could have been resolved through the KISS principle. Like that damn clutch issue I had almost 40 years ago - to the day. You know, the one that I still bonk myself on the head about. (But have learned to use it as a lesson to others.)

At least you've finally gotten rid of one of those niggly, stupid, nagging nits.
zakmartin (01-09-2018)

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?