Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Nothingone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch master cylinder replacement

So i read the threads related to clutch master replacement and never found the easy answer to my problem regarding getting the system to prime. I put the master in dry then disconnected the line at slave then gravity bled till i filled the resivoir about 4 times, hand pumping the clutch in between to slowly empty resivoir, then reconnected line at slave then bled as normal. But make sure clutch fully engages master by adjusting the fork throw when installing then you are good to go. Hope this helps the other backyard mechanics out there
Old 06-04-2018, 05:00 AM
khnitz

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Picked up a 2nd complete cat-back exhaust with near-zero miles on it from a FB post over the weekend (to go along with a set I picked up from a CL post a couple of months back - though that set didn't include the Y-pipe).

I couldn't pass up the price and this set included the OEM Y-pipe, too. I'll be replacing the aftermarket (Meineke-like) exhaust that was put on my '05 Z by the previous owner at some point. I guess I'll store the extra OEM resonator and muffler setup as a spare in the shop attic.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Plumbing slowly coming in the mail for my custom exhaust. Decided to build one and make it somewhat quiet. The exhaust will be 3" and single exit except for the 2.5" reducers. This will be a small interchangeable section near the exit to fine tune the sound to my liking for daily driving. No, I'm not concerned about chasing max numbers on the dyno. How it sounds is more important to me. The stainless parts are being sourced from ZZP here in the US and Vibrant Performance. Still missing two resonators, tip, some angles and straight sections.

Got overly excited and peeled off the production stickers in haste.
Attached Thumbnails What have you done for your Z today?-zzp-exhaust-2.jpg   What have you done for your Z today?-zzp-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by mr. sparco; 06-04-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Plumbing slowly coming in the mail for my custom exhaust. Decided to build one and make it somewhat quiet. The exhaust will be 3" and single exit except for the 2.5" reducers. This will be a small interchangeable section near the exit to fine tune the sound to my liking for daily driving. No, I'm not concerned about chasing max numbers on the dyno. How it sounds is more important to me. The stainless parts are being sourced from ZZP here in the US and Vibrant Performance. Still missing two resonators, tip, some angles and straight sections.

Got overly excited and peeled off the production stickers in haste.
Mistuh Sparco! Hey, this is interesting. How'd you happen to choose ZZP? And is this for aft of Y-pipe or....?? Never heard of them until now and seems they're big into GM V6.

The thought of a sound tuned system makes me think of when I was thinking out loud here one day about SuperTrapps and why I've never seen a Z33 equipped with one or two?

Post up the drive by when you're done!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
Today i finally got around to Installing the Bilstein b14 kit, new poly bushes, and compression arms I've been sitting on for months and compared to the stock suspension which was pretty much blown after 95K, this is a revelation and the car drives far better than it had before when I bought it. Even though its close to stock height I'm probably gonna raise it a bit since that's what is making my camber so aggressive. Expect a review soon.

DANG YOU! you prob picked up the last set of B14s in the US. Checked many vendors for the past 3-4 months and no one in stock yet. It keeps getting pushed back. At first it was april/may now its July/august...

Its been a long wait and not sure if I should keep waiting or go a different route. Was thinking KW Variant 1s or just go cheap last resort and get BCs
Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

installed Invidia Gemini exhaust and I really like it. Not insanely loud and has the distinct VQ sound not the high annoying cannon sound. I like the rolled tips as well over the titanium single layer.

Also installed a new driver side door I picked up due to mine being banged up on a side swipe. that door is HEAVY. I carried it down a flight of stairs and was afraid of hurting myself and damaging the door.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:29 PM
mr. sparco

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Mistuh Sparco! Hey, this is interesting. How'd you happen to choose ZZP? And is this for aft of Y-pipe or....?? Never heard of them until now and seems they're big into GM V6.

The thought of a sound tuned system makes me think of when I was thinking out loud here one day about SuperTrapps and why I've never seen a Z33 equipped with one or two?

Post up the drive by when you're done!
Will be after Y. Was researching quiet 3" exhausts and Vibrant came up then stumbled onto ZZP through the Corvette forums. I prefer US quality over certain brands that I have gone through in the past. The JDM stuff is overpriced and hyped, and ebay exhausts just aren't up to my expectations. This was perfect for what I was looking for.

And Supertrapps! I remember looking at those in the 90's and thinking htf does that work?

@Bak I've owned several RS-R Invidia exhausts in the past, suspension and other parts. Last RS-R exhaust I owned rusted out and I live in SoCal. Not
sure if the present Invidia is the same JDM company. Left a bad enough taste that I started looking elsewhere.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 06-04-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
DANG YOU! you prob picked up the last set of B14s in the US. Checked many vendors for the past 3-4 months and no one in stock yet. It keeps getting pushed back. At first it was april/may now its July/august...

Its been a long wait and not sure if I should keep waiting or go a different route. Was thinking KW Variant 1s or just go cheap last resort and get BCs
Just to warn you - and not that I know anything about the BCs - but.... be patient. Do it right the first time. My first Z car (1978 or so), I got anxious waiting for a set of Konis (or Bilsteins, can't remember) that were out of stock/backordered and bought me a set of KYBs because they were "gas shocks too". Oy.... young Mic blundered big. Those pieces of sh** came off the car within two months when I finally got "the right stuff".

There is no bigger gain to get the right thing up front - nor bigger blunder than to "settle" on suspension because EVERY time you get into the car, it reminds you "Hey, dork, I ride like sh** and it's all your fault."

Seriously, if you're going to settle, let it be on Bilstein or Koni static or go *****-to-the-wall Variant 3s or Ohlins DFV.

Unasked for $0.02....

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Will be after Y. Was researching quiet 3" exhausts and Vibrant came up then stumbled onto ZZP through the Corvette forums. I prefer US quality over certain brands that I have gone through in the past. The JDM stuff is overpriced and hyped, and ebay exhausts just aren't up to my expectations. This was perfect for what I was looking for.

And Supertrapps! I remember looking at those in the 90's and thinking htf does that work?
Cool! In for sound clip!

If I were keeping my S30, it'd get a 'Trapp out back (with a full on headers to deuce+half back). I recall the tones from the '70s/80s like it was yesterday and they would rock!

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-04-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 PM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme

I dunno if your in a position to wait longer for coilovers (I wasn't because my shocks were so blown I hated driving my car) but hopefully some initial impressions of the B14 kit can sway your thinking, the short of it is the Bilstein PSS coilovers are some of the nicest coils to drive on I've felt. The damping is so good with this kit compared to other coilover kits, at very slow speeds they feel softer than stock but on freeways, they feel very stiff and responsive, heck on bumpy backroads you can go very very fast and it doesn't feel like your floating over the road what so ever. Another good thing about this kit is that the handling balance of the Z is largely unaffected. The car feels like it has less understeer than before and turn in is a bit sharper.

Overall, I think the PSS coilovers are great and I'm very happy with them thus far because they add more competency to the chassis without being outside the realm of how Nissan would have made the car feel from the factory; that being said I highly recommend them. The only issue is they are on national backorder at the moment which means its very difficult to get your hands on them in the states. Luckily I bought one of the last kits from race consulting agency and they may have a limited amount of B14 coilovers in stock at their warehouse so give them a call, If they don't however, I'd go with the Stance Xr-1 coils or the Kw's.

Last edited by meezusthegoat; 06-04-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As for as the coilover convo goes I have KW v2 and absolutely love them. They have been fantastic. Only complaint I had was that the front reused the tophats from the stock suspension. Didn't really matter, but I was a little surprised that spending $2k on coilovers didn't get you tophats also.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:02 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
I dunno if your in a position to wait longer for coilovers (I wasn't because my shocks were so blown I hated driving my car) but hopefully some initial impressions of the B14 kit can sway your thinking, the short of it is the Bilstein PSS coilovers are some of the nicest coils to drive on I've felt. The damping is so good with this kit compared to other coilover kits, at very slow speeds they feel softer than stock but on freeways, they feel very stiff and responsive, heck on bumpy backroads you can go very very fast and it doesn't feel like your floating over the road what so ever. Another good thing about this kit is that the handling balance of the Z is largely unaffected. The car feels like it has less understeer than before and turn in is a bit sharper.

Overall, I think the PSS coilovers are great and I'm very happy with them thus far because they add more competency to the chassis without being outside the realm of how Nissan would have made the car feel from the factory; that being said I highly recommend them. The only issue is they are on national backorder at the moment which means its very difficult to get your hands on them in the states. Luckily I bought one of the last kits from race consulting agency and they may have a limited amount of B14 coilovers in stock at their warehouse so give them a call, If they don't however, I'd go with the Stance Xr-1 coils or the Kw's.
When you going to get new wheels so I can lowball you on the track wheels?

They would look really good in black on my juke.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 AM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
When you going to get new wheels so I can lowball you on the track wheels?

They would look really good in black on my juke.
I'm gonna give my track rims the boot, I may just keep my track wheels with my all seasons mounted on them and find rpf1's or another set of Enkei wheels so I can mount summer tires on them. This way I'll have two sets of wheels, one with sticky tires mounted and one with just normal tires. I'll dm you if I decide to let my track wheels go.
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (06-06-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 PM
mr. sparco

What have you done for your Z today?-fnmyspu.jpg

Moar boxes came! Need a 30 degree angle + tip to finish and ready to go!

FYI- A bit annoyed that the 1 flange that connects to the Y is not stainless (magnetic), returning that piece. So check your exhausts boys & girls if you were promised that it is in fact all stainless. The ZZP and Vibrant pieces are all completely stainless and no magnets were attracted to it.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 06-07-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

That’s too bad. It’s always a pain having to return parts.

However, kitty seems to not mind too much
Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 PM
mr. sparco

Keeping my car catted.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:10 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

That's going to be an interesting exhaust system, hope it doesn't end up sounding like a 98 Buick regal.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 AM
mr. sparco

Doubt it, Motoiq did a similar setup. If anything I also have a Greddy and HKS muffler I can test out.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2150/How-to-Build-a-Stainless-Exhaust-with-Vibrant-Performance.aspx
Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 AM
M@_

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just started putting in a new transmission, flywheel, and clutch on my new (to me) Z.

Found a really helpful video on a guys channel called "Full Throttle".

Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by M@_
I've just started putting in a new transmission, flywheel, and clutch on my new (to me) Z.
Good on ya for tackling it yourself. I hope you have a lift. I did mine in a one-car garage on jackstands.

Never again... until next time

This thread is helpful also: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...wt-clutch.html
The following users liked this post:
M@_ (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 AM
M@_

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Good on ya for tackling it yourself. I hope you have a lift. I did mine in a one-car garage on jackstands.

Never again... until next time

This thread is helpful also: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...wt-clutch.html
Hahah Thanks! I don't have access to a lift unfortunately . I'm doing it in a friend's 2 car garage -- which is a real upgrade from my normal stuff. Ordinarily I'm working on my car in my apartment's parking lot.

I was actually going to look on here for a technical write up so that helps a ton! So far I've got everything tucked out of the way and I'm ready to start yanking the bolts on the bellhousing.

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?