Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Saw that. I'm wondering about the Tie Rod End replacement and the Lower Control Arm... ball joint? The one right next to the Tie Rod End. And not the Compression Arm, it's seen in the images.

I'm looking to find replacements. I think this may be the correct one? https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...nt-p-8187.html
and the Tie Rod looks like it can be found at AutoZone https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...sandatsun/350z

But I don't see a sleeve bushing-like over it?

Last edited by zwei_the_c; 07-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zwei_the_c
Saw that. I'm wondering about the Tie Rod End replacement and the Lower Control Arm... ball joint? The one right next to the Tie Rod End. And not the Compression Arm, it's seen in the images.

I'm looking to find replacements. I think this may be the correct one? https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...nt-p-8187.html
and the Tie Rod looks like it can be found at AutoZone https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...sandatsun/350z

If you wanna buy individual ball joints you're best buying from conceptzperformance, they sell all the hardware for them and a lot of different ball joints for our arms. Keep in mind the only serviceable ball joints on our cars are the ones for the tie rods and the LCA, the ball joints for the compression arms and upper control arms are not, you have to buy a new arm.
The following users liked this post:
zwei_the_c (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:04 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Here is my contribution on ball joints.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...hop-press.html
zwei_the_c (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
zwei_the_c

Just ordered parts from CZP with 2nd air shipping to get the Z back and running. I wouldn't mind Z1 but their shipping prices were quite hefty. Ordered these parts in specif if anyone is curious. I saw Megan Racing Roll Ball Caster and was curious to try but heard it raised the spindle arm up higher and I don't know. I thought it may bring me to be rubbing in the front. My tires are very close to rubbing the fenders itself so I thought too risky. I'm just trying to get replacement parts, not performance parts. Ha.
SPD Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joint w/ Seat Spacer
Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing
Energy Suspension Lower Control Arm Bushing Set = BLK
SPD Front Outer Tie Rod, LH
SPD Front Outer Tie Rod, RH
Old 07-17-2018, 06:26 PM
meezusthegoat

Just ordered parts from CZP with 2nd air shipping to get the Z back and running. I wouldn't mind Z1 but their shipping prices were quite hefty. Ordered these parts in specif if anyone is curious. I saw Megan Racing Roll Ball Caster and was curious to try but heard it raised the spindle arm up higher and I don't know. I thought it may bring me to be rubbing in the front. My tires are very close to rubbing the fenders itself so I thought too risky. I'm just trying to get replacement parts, not performance parts. Ha.
SPD Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joint w/ Seat Spacer
Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing
Energy Suspension Lower Control Arm Bushing Set = BLK
SPD Front Outer Tie Rod, LH
SPD Front Outer Tie Rod, RH
Nice just remember when changing your OEM lower bushings to the energy bushings you have to grind-off two tabs on your factory shocks so the bushings will fit properly. This video shows what happens if you use the energy suspension bushings yet forget to do this big step...you'll tear the aftermarket bushing to shreds.

The following 2 users liked this post by meezusthegoat:
Z33Garage (10-26-2018), zwei_the_c (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 PM
zwei_the_c

Originally Posted by meezusthegoat
Nice just remember when changing your OEM lower bushings to the energy bushings you have to grind-off two tabs on your factory shocks so the bushings will fit properly. This video shows what happens if you use the energy suspension bushings yet forget to do this big step...you'll tear the aftermarket bushing to shreds.
Just saw the video. It was entertaining to watch, guy seem to know his stuff. Although, I do not have factory shocks, I have Megan Racing Track coilovers which I recall not have any tabs. Although, I do thank you for your input. It helps to know potential things or be precautions.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 AM
meezusthegoat

Just saw the video. It was entertaining to watch, guy seem to know his stuff. Although, I do not have factory shocks, I have Megan Racing Track coilovers which I recall not have any tabs. Although, I do thank you for your input. It helps to know potential things or be precautions.
Thanks, things never seem to go as planned with working on cars so I like to be prepared in case Sh*t hits the fan.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:20 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Ready for a change, this Wix filter is supposed to be designed for full synthetic oils ($16 bucks better be good). I've used the Polydyn in engine, trans and diff. since the car was first broken in ('07); only used Mobil 1 full synth. in engine ever since.

Last edited by BigBlue; 07-24-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
zwei_the_c

So I’ve had all the LCA Bushings/Knuckle Ball Joints, Toe Rods replaced. The Compression Arm Bushings hasn’t been replaced yet.

but I’ve noticed a huge dramatic decrease in the metal screeching noise when I brake. Now it seems to only make this noises when I turn hard left. And I hear random thuds noises when turning the wheels in reverse backing out of a parking spot; all coming from the same corner still. And a little bit of a random noise in a straight line, very quiet.

I believe it’s a bad wheel bearing. Oh dear, my car been nothing but a headache lately and a real money pit.

I’ll try torquing my lugs nuts from 80 to 90 to be sure and attempt the wobble test on the wheel bearing in question. I’d hope it this and I shouldn’t have any more noises. I’m almost ready to go to a reputable shop for an inspection and see if there’s anything else that’s going to go out soon. I know my Differential Bushings will be needing to be replaced.

My Z has 119K Miles. Assume everything is factory to be safe.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

So I’ve had all the LCA Bushings/Knuckle Ball Joints, Toe Rods replaced. The Compression Arm Bushings hasn’t been replaced yet.

but I’ve noticed a huge dramatic decrease in the metal screeching noise when I brake. Now it seems to only make this noises when I turn hard left. And I hear random thuds noises when turning the wheels in reverse backing out of a parking spot; all coming from the same corner still. And a little bit of a random noise in a straight line, very quiet.

I believe it’s a bad wheel bearing. Oh dear, my car been nothing but a headache lately and a real money pit.

I’ll try torquing my lugs nuts from 80 to 90 to be sure and attempt the wobble test on the wheel bearing in question. I’d hope it this and I shouldn’t have any more noises. I’m almost ready to go to a reputable shop for an inspection and see if there’s anything else that’s going to go out soon. I know my Differential Bushings will be needing to be replaced.

My Z has 119K Miles. Assume everything is factory to be safe.
This may not be the case for you, but the Nissan shop I get my '05 serviced at told me when/if one wheel bearing goes it's probably not much longer before the rest will too. When he heard one of mine going out, I brought it back a few weeks later and got them all changed out to save myself the future headache. As soon as my car went over 115k all sorts of interesting things began happening.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
As soon as my car went over 115k all sorts of interesting things began happening.
YES! Something to look forward to

The following 2 users liked this post by Heel Til I Die:
SonnyWu (07-26-2018), zwei_the_c (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:17 AM
SonnyWu

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, it looks like I have a ways to go. LOL
Taken on January‎ ‎15‎, ‎2016. I now have 10,100 miles on her. And yes I drive the car. Purchased in 2015 with 3,000 miles. That's another story and post.

The following 3 users liked this post by SonnyWu:
350zchad (07-25-2018), BluestreamDE (08-02-2018), zwei_the_c (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I’ll try torquing my lugs nuts from 80 to 90 to be sure and attempt the wobble test on the wheel bearing in question.
Zwei, that's not going to make any difference in the wobble test. You can always change out the lug bolts if you think they're stretched. It's a fairly simple procedure to remove them from the hub. Besides the wobble test, if you're AR (like I am) you can use an automotive stethoscope while turning the wheel to listen for abnormal bearing noise, which could indicate wear.
zwei_the_c (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
YES! Something to look forward to

Well, if you haven't done so already I'd STRONGLY suggest you replace your camshaft and crankshaft sensors [with OEM not aftermarket ones]. Having your car mysteriously shut off in the middle of traffic really tends to annoy everyone lined up behind you.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:27 AM
THIRZTY

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

If ya gotta hail satan... might as well go all out

The following 5 users liked this post by THIRZTY:
350zchad (07-25-2018), QuintonC (07-28-2018), SonnyWu (07-26-2018), zakmartin (07-30-2018), zwei_the_c (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 03:53 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I have been slacking, haven't done anything with the Z in a bit...

I am putting this back together, slowly but surely...

Any bets on if this will ever run again?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Well, if you haven't done so already I'd STRONGLY suggest you replace your camshaft and crankshaft sensors [with OEM not aftermarket ones]. Having your car mysteriously shut off in the middle of traffic really tends to annoy everyone lined up behind you.
Good to know! I try to adhere to the rule of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," but lately I have been straying from that principle. I have seen all the threads/problems Z owners have been having with those sensors. I figured I would just replace them when they go out, but I may go ahead and replace them if it's only a matter of time...
Old 07-27-2018, 06:21 AM
KRyn

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I am unsure of the outcome as I started ordering and experimenting with the Vibrant parts like yourself. I'm trying to build a modular exhaust that that I can swap midpipe or axle back sections or put the stock muffler back on easily in case of a fixit.
Well it is almost done... My buddy had enough material kicking around to make me a Y pipe as well. Asked him to mimic the Motordyne pipe in case I need him to toss in another muffler or resonator.

The following 4 users liked this post by KRyn:
BigBlue (07-27-2018), BluestreamDE (08-02-2018), meezusthegoat (07-30-2018), zakmartin (07-30-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:41 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by KRyn
Well it is almost done... My buddy had enough material kicking around to make me a Y pipe as well. Asked him to mimic the Motordyne pipe in case I need him to toss in another muffler or resonator.

That's badazz.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 AM
shaq77fan

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I finally got most of my hydrographics completed. Easy to learn and quick to do for the most part. Prep work is the key...which I found out after my first few attempts.

The following 2 users liked this post by shaq77fan:
kham25 (08-03-2018), SonnyWu (08-02-2018)

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?