MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   WTF? I cannot push my shift knob over for Manual shift????? (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/46721-wtf-i-cannot-push-my-shift-knob-over-for-manual-shift.html)

Ultimateone 10-18-2003 07:24 PM

WTF? I cannot push my shift knob over for Manual shift?????

After trying to test fit a shift boot on my car today I started my Z up and it would not allow me to pus the knob over to the right for Manual shift????

What is going on is there some sort of lock or anything....I havent any idea why it would do this:mad:

Please help:confused:

iChiBahN 10-18-2003 07:46 PM

well maybe it's just a punishment for u to buy a AT :\ if u wanan play wiht manual so muhc, u prolly should've just bought a 6MT :\

havabooz 10-18-2003 07:57 PM

if you look on the plate you will see a thing thatsays shift lock...im guessing that you have to turn that thing with a coin...

cmon..you had to have seen that thing

ares 10-18-2003 09:19 PM

the shift lock would keep you in park, not out of the manual mode.

Id guess something is lodged in the way, or some sort of sensor is missing...

Ultimateone 10-18-2003 10:16 PM

Originally posted by ares
the shift lock would keep you in park, not out of the manual mode.

CORRECT.
Something was in the way and now broke or snapped and there isnt any tension when moving the knob around so it is broken I believe....Im so pissed.

Off to the dealership:icon10:

jreiter 10-19-2003 12:28 AM

Originally posted by iChiBahN
well maybe it's just a punishment for u to buy a AT :\ if u wanan play wiht manual so muhc, u prolly should've just bought a 6MT :\

:rolleyes: Why does there always have to be someone who disses on someone else for their choice of purchase? :icon6: People post honest questions, and inevitably get flack for it.

Sorry about the problem Ultimateone. Hopefully it's an easy fix!

Ultimateone 10-19-2003 07:43 AM

Originally posted by jreiter
:rolleyes: Why does there always have to be someone who disses on someone else for their choice of purchase? :icon6: People post honest questions, and inevitably get flack for it.

Sorry about the problem Ultimateone. Hopefully it's an easy fix!

Thanks, I cant even drive the car today without actually holding the shift knob in place....its broken for sure. I havent ever heard of this.....well hopefully I can get it in the dealer soon.:(

ares 10-19-2003 09:07 AM

my guess is some sort of cable or spring mechanism to give the shifter the proper location and keep it ridgid, something probably just got a little out of wack and with some movement fell off the track or whatever.

not too serious Im sure, but no doubt itll take the dealership a few days to get the part if something did break instead of just coming loose....

jreiter 10-19-2003 11:52 AM

Heck, you should probably just open the mechanism up and see if there's anything obvious. Like Ares said, there could just be something that popped out line. Might be an easy fix... assuming that the part isn't actually broken.

Rxramon 10-20-2003 06:05 AM

The plastic guards are setup to allow for movement to the right for manual mode, did you mess with these at all. The guard could have shifted positions and is blocking the shifter from moving....

You can fix this yourself with tweezers and a flathead...

Ultimateone 10-20-2003 01:03 PM

Nope...
Its at the Dealership now for a couple days and Im stuck with a damn Chevy Cavalier? :(