Sponsored by:

New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Ronin Tetsuro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Questions

Hi all, just some quick questions for those experienced with the Z:

I just bought (about a month ago) a used 2004 ZR. I'm taking it in for an appointment to get the amp replaced under warranty, but since making the appointment, I've noticed two other big things.

Cruise Control
Seems to me, I can turn on my cruise control and set a speed and the car will drop out of Cruise after about 10-15 seconds. Only ever really does it the first time after I turn the cruise on, then the second time I set it, it's fine. Very disconcerting the first few times it happened.

Clutch
I'm pretty sure I still have the stock clutch in my ZR, even though it has the Touring package (with the Nismo branded upgrades). There's two reasons I bring it up. First being that once or twice that I've started the ZR and geared into reverse, I get a noise that I can only describe as the clutch 'straining' when edging out of a spot in reverse. It's NOT constant, but I am concerned. During regular driving, it sounds like the clutch is 'straining', meaning when I shift, regardless of gear or how I move the clutch, the engine overrevs before the transmission 'catches' and then I get torque to the wheels. My first thought was that this was a sign of an over aggressive TCS, but turning it off hasn't made much of a difference.

When I go in to get the car serviced, I plan to mention these things, as it's under warranty still. But I want to go into this with some knowledge. Can anyone confirm that these issues are valid, or share similar experiences, if any? My hope is that I'm being a paranoid new owner, but if not, I want to know as much as possible about what I'm up against.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

This may sound like a redundant question, but are you hitting the brake or clutch pedal while the cruise control is engaged? This will cause it to pull out of cruise control mode.

You're gonna have to be more descriptive on the clutch "strain". I can't really make out what you mean...

Edit: Nevermind, I reread your clutch problem description. Are you letting go of the clutch pedal quick enough to allow it to engage or are you being too ginger with it? This could be your problem. Or the problem could be a worn out clutch

Last edited by VO...; 03-30-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Ronin Tetsuro

Originally Posted by vo7848
This may sound like a redundant question, but are you hitting the brake or clutch pedal while the cruise control is engaged? This will cause it to pull out of cruise control mode.

You're gonna have to be more descriptive on the clutch "strain". I can't really make out what you mean...

Edit: Nevermind, I reread your clutch problem description. Are you letting go of the clutch pedal quick enough to allow it to engage or are you being too ginger with it? This could be your problem.
I'm definitely not hitting any pedals when the cruise drops. I've made extra sure, as that's what I thought happened the first time, that I nudged the brake or something.

I am used to being ginger with the clutch,a s my Maxima before the ZR had a stage one clutch. But even when I 'pop' the ZR clutch, it still 'bogs down' before I get full torque. Do I need to rev over 4k every time I launch? Because if I do, I'm gonna go through gas EVEN FASTER.

The best way I can describe the bogging down is that the engine reacts like I'm spinning the rear wheels every time I shift, but I'm definitely not.

Last edited by Ronin Tetsuro; 03-30-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
F34RL355
Banned

your clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced soon.... this is not covered under warranty
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my Z for a few years.. and 1/10 times I can get my cruise to work. It turns on but the stupid thing doesn't engage... any help with this issue?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Ronin Tetsuro

Originally Posted by F34RL355
your clutch is slipping and will need to be replaced soon.... this is not covered under warranty
Shiiiiiit. That's gonna be some serious $$$, right?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. Cruise control problems may be associated with the VDC/TCS/ABS computer. If the computer is not working properly, cruise control may be adversely affected.

Probability of Nissan fixing a clutch for free is slim. Dealer will say “Cannot duplicate.”
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Ronin Tetsuro

Yeah, the dealer is talking $1300+ for an OEM clutch and $580+ for install. They're fooking high if they think I'm paying that inside of 30 days of purchase.

I can get a Stage 2 KIT for $480. WTF... I just bought this car. Anyone in Texas want to install a clutch?

Last edited by Ronin Tetsuro; 03-30-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Ronin Tetsuro

Do I have any recourse that this car was claimed to be a Nissan Certified Used vehicle? Isn't the clutch/flywheel part of the 156 point inspection inherent with that classification?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is if Nissan considers it part of the drive train so you might have an argument there. The key word being "argument" as the forums are rife with arguments with both dealers and Nissan North America in general. For that kind of money, I would be arguing pretty strongly
but in a cool, calm collected manner, if you get my drift.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
QNman

Just a thought... a member of our local Z-chapter had to replace the clutch in his G... he spent $1,100 at a local shop for an ACT stage 1 clutch installed, rather than the $1,300 plus labor for a stock clutch.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Obviously (reading your problem description) your clutch assembly is shot. I think you have already determined that.

Of course that also explains the cruise control malfunction you describe. Repairing the clutch assembly will likely result in a “repair” to your cruise control.

--Spike