MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Some questions before I take the Z cross country... (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/485146-some-questions-before-i-take-the-z-cross-country.html)

AML225 05-01-2010 02:37 PM

Some questions before I take the Z cross country...

Hey guys, I've done some searching and I've been referring to this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...ps-please.html

I have a 2008 Enthusiast that I'm going to be driving from California to Connecticut in a few weeks.

I've done the same trip before but never alone and never in this car.

On top of the suggestions in that thread I'd appreciate any additional advice. I'm planning on taking the Southern route (haven't worked out the specifics yet) through New Mexico (relatives live there), Amarillo TX, etc. Any tips? Any good driving roads I should take a detour to check out?

I'm going to get the oil changed before, as well as check all the tires and get a good alignment (do the wheels need to be balanced again?). Any other preventative maintenance or checks I should do?

Also I have the stock NON-BOSE stereo, will that USA-SPEC iPod/iPhone adapter work? I hate FM transmitters and would like to keep the stock head unit if possible.

I have a leather bra and plan to blue tape the hood a little past the bra and do the side skirts too. If it rains do I need to worry about this stuff flying off? Will I need to re-tape if it gets wet? I know I have to let the bra dry.

I appreciate all the help, just want to make sure I don't forget anything as I know there are people here with lots of experience doing the long trips in the Z.

Thanks guys!

Swimminggerman 05-01-2010 02:54 PM

do what i did...ship it :). I was considering going from long beach to Ohio but decided against it as time was of concern. Tape for sure to help protect, probably might come off a bit. The seats are not that comfortable after a while. At least i think they are not for hours upon hours. your list seems good. Make sure to have fun and enjoy it.

SilverFox006 05-01-2010 03:29 PM

Just drive it and enjoy it. Outside the two things you mention, changing the oil and checking tires, you shouldn't have to do too much pre-trip maintenance.

I feel the Z is in its comfort zone doing 70+(100+?) mph in 6th gear with a good open road ahead and not a soul in sight. :thumbup:

AML225 05-01-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by SilverFox006 (Post 8349778)

I feel the Z is in its comfort zone doing 70+(100+?) mph in 6th gear with a good open road ahead and not a soul in sight. :thumbup:

The only reason I would disagree with this statement is because I haven't found a single scenario in good weather (on tarmac) where the Z isn't at home. (OK maybe when stuck in LA traffic.)

Black Z Eddie 05-01-2010 04:03 PM

You need to check out the 191 in east AZ. You won't be disappointed.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=E+Central+Ave&daddr=Coronado+Trail &hl=en&geocode=FSJ-CAId_MR8-Q%3BFThp-AEdksZ7-Q&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=8&sll=33.413102,-108.830566&sspn=2.292546,4.938354&ie=UTF8&ll=33.413102,-108.830566&spn=2.292546,4.938354&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map

</small>
Also, bring some tire repair (eg, fix a flat; strip plugs).

AML225 05-01-2010 04:05 PM

Black Z Eddie- thanks for the tip!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15...ce.html?tp=120

Will this work with my car? Like I said before I have NON-BOSE. Full steering wheel and head unit controls? Can I still control it through my iPhone or do I have to unplug it, select the song then plug back in like some units?

Thanks.

Toasterflyer 05-01-2010 06:16 PM

In a similar situation .. I have my eye on a few potential z's. Debating on fly then drive or just have it shipped.

I have however made that road trip several times way back in my '88 sentra :-). The car was a champ!! I suspect the z would be the same only funner/faster :-). I took the northern route, Southern route ..its all good. My only regred I did not take pics along the way...but the memories are there. Good luck and drive safe.

Rich

Originally Posted by AML225 (Post 8349712)
Hey guys, I've done some searching and I've been referring to this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...ps-please.html

I have a 2008 Enthusiast that I'm going to be driving from California to Connecticut in a few weeks.

I've done the same trip before but never alone and never in this car.

On top of the suggestions in that thread I'd appreciate any additional advice. I'm planning on taking the Southern route (haven't worked out the specifics yet) through New Mexico (relatives live there), Amarillo TX, etc. Any tips? Any good driving roads I should take a detour to check out?

I'm going to get the oil changed before, as well as check all the tires and get a good alignment (do the wheels need to be balanced again?). Any other preventative maintenance or checks I should do?

Also I have the stock NON-BOSE stereo, will that USA-SPEC iPod/iPhone adapter work? I hate FM transmitters and would like to keep the stock head unit if possible.

I have a leather bra and plan to blue tape the hood a little past the bra and do the side skirts too. If it rains do I need to worry about this stuff flying off? Will I need to re-tape if it gets wet? I know I have to let the bra dry.

I appreciate all the help, just want to make sure I don't forget anything as I know there are people here with lots of experience doing the long trips in the Z.

Thanks guys!

davidv 05-01-2010 07:41 PM

California to Connecticut in May I would just as soon stay North. Cooler. But if you have to stop in New Mexico than your choices are limited.

Black Z Eddie 05-01-2010 08:05 PM

OP, maybe you could do something like this and share it.

NyCSnEaK 05-01-2010 08:45 PM

If your a smart man, then you should stop by the Tail of the Dragon(U.S. 129) in TN/NC. Be sure to enjoy all the other roads in the area, which their are many of :cool:.

AML225 05-02-2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by davidv (Post 8350155)
California to Connecticut in May I would just as soon stay North. Cooler. But if you have to stop in New Mexico than your choices are limited.

Well it's really just a matter of staying with family vs. paying for one more night in a motel. I'm pretty busy until this coming Wednesday and that's when I plan to start figuring out the route and all the specifics. I will very seriously consider the northern route for sure, if for no other reason than I haven't done it yet.

AML225 05-02-2010 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Black Z Eddie (Post 8350197)
OP, maybe you could do something like this and share it.

I will definitely be doing something like that! I have a pretty good Nikon DSLR which I added a GPS receiver to. Any suggestions on sites or should I just do it via the forum here?

marhot 05-02-2010 06:18 AM

Any suggestions on sites or should I just do it via the forum here?
Do it here ... start a trip thread.

Good luck...

I've done a couple of long road trips in my Z ... however, 2 days is my max. Any trip that is over 2 days is rough. My lower back & kidneys are killing me. The Z is not a Grand Touring car.

That's just me, though. Good luck...

Highmiles43 05-02-2010 07:36 AM

Here is a list of great driving roads in every state.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

FilthyZ 05-02-2010 08:19 AM

Just like others have said, I would def take the northern route. Unless you love the heat lol. Since you did mention you had a Nikon DSLR, I would invest in a harness bar and set up a camera mount for it. I've seen a few people set their cameras up to take a picture at set intervals (30 sec - 2 min). I've seen the results where they speed up the "slideshow" so that it shows your road trip from start to finish. Thought it was pretty awesome.

I'm a Canon guy but I think this is what your looking for your Nikon.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-.../dp/B0012H7H7O

Outcome - this is obviously a quick interval so you could adjust that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCUlvEkQDg

Black Z Eddie 05-02-2010 11:25 AM

^ that's how they do it. Pretty cool.

Also, I typically like taking the little 2 lane backroads over the Interstates. I like the nostalgia of passing little towns. Reminds of that movie Jeepers Creepers. But, obviously, this will most likely add to your travel time.

hyunkang350Z 05-02-2010 07:11 PM

Your gonna have a lot of fun man! Just do what I did and bring lots of W33d!

I did the same drive(CT to San Diego and then San Diego to CT). I stayed the southern route because It was the fastest way according to my GPS. Driving through the desert was a blast, You'll also love the millions of miles of flat roads in Texas for testing maximum speed!( I hit 155 once and my balls shrank so I slowed down).

My friends think I'm crazy because I did the trip in the Z. They think of how uncomfortable it must have been, but to be honest the seats in the Z kept me pretty snug and were pretty comfortable! Just make sure to check your fluids once and a while and take lots of breaks! Good luck and have fun on your drive!

P.S bring lots of w33d!

FineWine 05-03-2010 06:54 AM

CHECK THE DIFF FLUID.

Seriously, at least check the level. You're goin to be driving hours at a time, so any wear that may already be happening is going to be amplified. You're probably fine, but check it just to be safe. I know someone who's been bitten in the ass by this (and unfortunately they had just bought the car from me)

I drove my car 21 hours when I moved back home from Denver. It wasn't terrible, and I did it all straight. Our cars are pretty decent to travel with, unlike my Camaro was.

Also, invest in a radar detector. I can't tell you how many times it saved me...especially driving through plain states where you're gonna wanna push on the gas, and they can see you coming from miles away :)

Lastly, don't drive through plain states at night if you can avoid it. You'll want to shoot yourself in the face.

Romanteni 05-03-2010 09:13 AM

If you're driving by yourself, and If you aren't 16 years old, you can grab a good cobra CB. I'm in trucking business, and I love long roadtrips, you will be able to talk to many drivers on the road going in same direction as you, sometimes for 1000s of miles. Makes it go by faster, funner, you'll learn a bit, truckers can likely answer any questions, COPS watch, scenic routes etc. Detours, constructions, accidents. I mean, you don't sound like you know the interstates that well, so definitely grab a CB radio for the car man, it makes life much more fun.
I myself done 500k+ miles on a semi and a good few dozen cross country road trips on my BMW/benz and other cars. I love having conversations with other ppl, especially when driving at night and keeping like 10-20 mile distance from you and person you're talking with. It'll make the trip not only much helpful, but also interesting. imho.

AML225 05-03-2010 12:51 PM

Just wanted to stop in real quick now that I have a minute to say thanks for all the replies so far! I'm going to be swamped with work today and tomorrow, but hopefully Tuesday night or Wednesday I'll have a chance to respond to everything.

Keep it coming guys!