MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   :( Nissan dealership didn't use Nissan oil filter. (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/522715-nissan-dealership-didnt-use-nissan-oil-filter.html)

winchman 05-06-2011 03:25 PM

Nissan dealership didn't use Nissan oil filter.

I've always had the local dealer do the oil changes on my car, but I decided to start doing it myself. I found they had used a Parts Plus oil filter the last time it was serviced. I have no way of knowing what they used the other times I had it done there. I'm disappointed that they used off-brand parts on the car without at least giving me a choice about it beforehand.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do, if anything?

Should I really expect them to use only Nissan parts at the dealership?

Anybody got any info on how good Parts Plus stuff is compared to Nissan or other brands?

NISMO_558 05-06-2011 03:42 PM

I'm pretty sure Nissan's oil filters are a generic type as well, It's not a big deal IMO

eddogz 05-06-2011 03:45 PM

No, should be nissan genuine parts.

myork 05-06-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by eddogz (Post 9132233)
No, should be nissan genuine parts.

False - unless the dealership specifies or advertises that they use only genuine Nissan parts. Otherwise it is your responsibility to inquire.

I bring my own oil and filter with me to get my oil changed and specifically tell them to use what I brought.

TFO350 05-06-2011 05:39 PM

The dealership I worked for did the same thing to save money and also used the cheapest oil.

370zforme 05-06-2011 06:45 PM

To top it off, today the tire pressure light turned back on and I took the pressure of each tire and they are in order :dunno:

davidv 05-06-2011 07:11 PM

http://www.mossyperformance.com/Prod...lter_65f0c.bmp
If I pay Nissan to change my oil I would expect a genuine Nissan oil filter.

sportbiketed 05-06-2011 07:56 PM

Who cares?

Mcutali 05-06-2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by myork (Post 9132246)
False - unless the dealership specifies or advertises that they use only genuine Nissan parts. Otherwise it is your responsibility to inquire.

I bring my own oil and filter with me to get my oil changed and specifically tell them to use what I brought.

bro i can do it in my garage for ya. or look up a diy its really no big deal, i say walmart for the mobil 1 10w-30 and i got a stock pile of 10 nissan filters from ebay. love west covina nissan dealership on there and circle infiniti in nj they list parts all the time.

BRONZEE 05-06-2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by NISMO_558 (Post 9132227)
I'm pretty sure Nissan's oil filters are a generic type as well,

As below. :)

Originally Posted by davidv (Post 9132506)
http://www.mossyperformance.com/Prod...lter_65f0c.bmp
If I pay Nissan to change my oil I would expect a genuine Nissan oil filter.

With David on this. I've got an OEM filter boxed here. Definitely as ^.

Originally Posted by winchman (Post 9132205)
I've always had the local dealer do the oil changes on my car, but I decided to start doing it myself. I found they had used a Parts Plus oil filter the last time it was serviced. I have no way of knowing what they used the other times I had it done there. I'm disappointed that they used off-brand parts on the car without at least giving me a choice about it beforehand.

Have you kept your invoices from previous services??? If so, what was on the invoice?? Have you been billed for a Nissan one, and received something else? ;)

Flo-ridaZ33 05-07-2011 01:03 AM

Ummm I worked at a Lexus/Toyota Dealer for 8yrs doing back counter which are the guys who bill parts on the ticket and hand out the parts... that is not acceptable and you can contact Nissan USA to make a claim. The only time that is allowed is when they don't have your filter in stock... then they HAVE TO ask if they can use a generic filter. Unless they have a "special" and they specify that they us a non-OEM filter. FYI guys... Sentra's/Versa's, Z's/Maxima's, Titans/Armada's all use the same filter. The Parts + filter should be a 4612 part number. It is possible that the mechanic had the 4612 filter in his box, used it on your Z even though he was given an OEM filter by the Back Counterman, and kept if for his own car(or side job).

winchman 05-07-2011 05:40 AM

"Have you kept your invoices from previous services??? "

Good point!! The first two invoices show a charge ($7.95 and 8.27) for the Nissan Filter. The last invoice shows a $3.00 charge for the Parts Plus filter.

They also gave me a "senior citizen discount" on the last one, lol. I guess they make up for the discount by putting in the cheaper filter.

TJ_Max 05-07-2011 06:33 AM

That's wrong, I'm a tech at a BMW dealership, the idea is, customer's bring their cars to us and pay our rates because they want quality OEM parts and quality labor. You might as well have gone to Jiffy Lube if you're gonna let that slide.

SLIdEwAyZ25 05-07-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by myork (Post 9132246)

you may think they are putting that oil in your car but i've had freinds who work at dealerships before and every single person in there is a retard. most of the time they just see a car it says oil change they change the oil then they read the rest of the ticket and then realize it says "only use oil in the back of the car" and they don't want to do more work so they just throw your oil away or keep it. ive heard storys of people accidently grabbing the wronge nozzle and putting washer fluid in the oil and rather than draining and flushing it they just top it off with oil.

if you want something done right do it yourself. with power tools it can't take more then 30 mins to change your oil including taking off the under tray

gregory71687 05-07-2011 09:53 AM

you dont even need to take the whole tray it takes me about 20 minutes to change mine. it is cheaper to do it yourself and you know it will be done right. i wont trust walmart or jiffylube because i worked at walmart when i was 18 and i used to see kids drain transmissions and everything and they just pretend like it never happened

mknZ 05-07-2011 10:08 AM

I used to work for Subaru and we never used genuine Subaru filters unless specified by the customer...we used Valvoline filters. You could still purchase the genuine filters from the parts counter which never made sense to me lol

engiNERD350Z 05-07-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by winchman (Post 9132945)
"Have you kept your invoices from previous services??? "

Good point!! The first two invoices show a charge ($7.95 and 8.27) for the Nissan Filter. The last invoice shows a $3.00 charge for the Parts Plus filter.

They also gave me a "senior citizen discount" on the last one, lol. I guess they make up for the discount by putting in the cheaper filter.

So you've changed the oil 3 times (in additional to the original oil when you bought the car) but you only have 5500 miles? Or is your signature outdated? :dunno:

ocdz 05-07-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SLIdEwAyZ25 (Post 9133019)
you may think they are putting that oil in your car but i've had freinds who work at dealerships before and every single person in there is a retard. most of the time they just see a car it says oil change they change the oil then they read the rest of the ticket and then realize it says "only use oil in the back of the car" and they don't want to do more work so they just throw your oil away or keep it. ive heard storys of people accidently grabbing the wronge nozzle and putting washer fluid in the oil and rather than draining and flushing it they just top it off with oil.

if you want something done right do it yourself. with power tools it can't take more then 30 mins to change your oil including taking off the under tray

Point exactly... sorry if you are this person but if you are changing oil at a dealership you are most likely a retard anyways.

If you want it done right do it yourself. It is literally a 20 minute job at the most.

myork 05-07-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SLIdEwAyZ25 (Post 9133019)

Sorry but aint no way I am changing oil in my driveway between November - March. Done that for too many years and learned that the extra $20-$40 it costs me per year to go to my mechanic is well worth it.

The rest of the year I do it myself.

ZS14RR 05-07-2011 06:16 PM

With DavidV