Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Experiences with Cops in the Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got arrested, sent to jail and booked for sliding around a round about......cop was a super douche second he pulled me over yelled get out of the car like i just killed someone then cuffed me and then we took a ride to the jail. luckily the state threw out the ticket and the points all i had to pay was court costs now i am super paranoid every time i let her eat and drift. and in jacksonville its a 2 hour drive to anywere you can leagaly slide
Old 08-25-2011, 01:59 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bwalk037
I wanted to hear other people’s feedback with their experiences with cops while driving a Z.

I have had pretty great luck with the police since I have own my Z. This is my first sports car; my previous car was a Mercury Mariner. I don’t excessively speed but, I do run 5 – 10 mph over. In the Mariner I was good for a ticket every year and cops would look at me all the time.

In the Z cops rarely even look in my direction. On the two occasions when I did get pulled over, for speeding on the open highway, the cops just said nice car and be smart/careful out there.

I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been?
completely 180 degrees from this.
Been pulled over for everything and everything.
Led bulbs, license plate, etc etc..

Its the wild west here, and scottsdale PD loves to instigate.. im in a police family.. i know the drill.. but its excessive here, and our cities hurting for $.. hence, i get picked out in traffic like a hawk.

has alot to do w the look of your car.. if you blend, no one cares..

If you stick out, well.. you stick out to cops too.

I blame that mostly, at least more than bored police.... flashy car equals good and bad attention.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM
srsairbags

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was pulled over for doing 53 on a 40 . . . and the cop (biker) was hiding behind a tree . . . ive seen almost everyone do a 50 in that stretch all the time . . .200$ fine . . 70$ legal fees . . . FML
Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
Overall, CHP is the department I fear the most because they are not an anti-crime agency- they are a traffic enforcement agency.

With this being said, their sole job is to create revenue by picking on speeding, dangerous driving and equipment violations.

Additionally, CHP tend to be more educated in automechanics and they focus on these things meaning that modded cars are susceptible to getting pulled over and inspected.
You are correct sir!

I forgot to add that I finally registered my car as a non-op (because I am moving soon) so I will not have any run-ins with the CHP w/my Z. Only costs 18 dollars for me to do.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Been ticketed for driving like an idiot once, I could have done 3 trackdays with the ticket money. The idiot in me comes out every once and a while, just not worth it.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
supanam

last year was pulled over in my 04 roadster on northbound 405 in washington for not having a front plate. not speeding or any other reason for the pull over. but he let me go with a warning.

and a few months ago i got pulled over in my 07 enthusiast... was pacing alongside a mini van (didn't notice my speed) and all of a sudden i see lights and a voice "windstar go ahead - Z you pull over" so i do. he gets out his car and literally strokes my Z with his hand from the back side of my trunk all the way to the front hood and just shakes his head (kinda felt molested) and he walks up to the window and
says "do u know why i pulled u over?"
"no sir, i was just following the speed of traffic"
"well you were doing 50 in a 35 zone"
"i'm sorry officer, i really wasn't aware - i was just driving along side that mini van didn't even notice my speed"
- he then checks me licenses and registration and comes back about 5 minutes later
"this is a nice car. a very nice car. i've always wanted one of these."
"tell ya what officer - if u let me go with a warning i'll let u borrow her for the weekend."
-he laughs "that won't be necessary - my wife would kill me. just keep the speeding on the track okay?"
"thank you officer. have a nice day."

i've only been pulled over about 7 times in my 11 years of driving and that was easily the best experience i've ever had.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Got pulled over for doing 60 in a 45, I had just come off a back road where the speed limit was 55 and onto the main highway. He just gave me a warning though.

I've also been pulled over twice for my tint, 1 warning, 1 ticket.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got pulled over only twice in 7 years. Got away both times; one for speeding and the other for exhaust warning. However, I got a bunch of parking tickets by the City's parking dept. LOL... I hate San Francisco DPT xD
Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Ak48z

Got pulled over doing 105-115... luckily it was a guy impersonating a police officer, or an off duty out of town cop, havn't narrowed it down completely.

Whew... The real police always ask me whose car I am driving. Miiiiiiine?

I've been very lucky and have not had a ticket in the last 4 years, but alot of warnings.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM
J 0 K 3 R

'If your going over 180 km/h the cops wont even try.' lol
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car never sees public roads...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by TPete19
The only ticket I've gotten since buying my Z (over 2 years ago) was in Snohomish County. Sheriff got me for tinted windows. I think they are trying to get any money they can.
In very recent time, the King County Sheriff will follow Z cars around. Watch out.

Last edited by MaelstrØm; 08-25-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
You are correct sir!

I forgot to add that I finally registered my car as a non-op (because I am moving soon) so I will not have any run-ins with the CHP w/my Z. Only costs 18 dollars for me to do.
Slippy, wait. You're moving? Where to?

Also, if you non-op, the only penalty is an $18 ticket? What about possible impounding?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM
zinnsa

@bmccann101 - I lived in Scottsdale when I first moved to AZ and I'd have to agree Scottsdale PD must have a good bank-roll. Never seen so many squad cars. At least all the pesky photo radar have been taken down. I have to drive pretty cautious on the 51 through Phoenix cause there are always DPS hiding.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM
BornSlippyZ

Slippy, wait. You're moving? Where to?

Also, if you non-op, the only penalty is an $18 ticket? What about possible impounding?
We are moving to Cincinnati OH, I just sent in the registration renewal and it costs $18 to register my car (z) as a non-op. I should have been clearer with my typing sorry, I haven't received my DMV paper work yet so I will post up the particulars later. I read on the DMV website that I cannot legally drive on public roads with my non-op vehicle, so I guess If I did drive it, I would be subjected to impound/fines. I am just glad I don't have to pay for the regular registration before I move. I did have to pay $172 for my Scion though, because I might need that car for emergencies (I have 2 little kids) when the wife is not home.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
We are moving to Cincinnati OH, I just sent in the registration renewal and it costs $18 to register my car (z) as a non-op. I should have been clearer with my typing sorry, I haven't received my DMV paper work yet so I will post up the particulars later. I read on the DMV website that I cannot legally drive on public roads with my non-op vehicle, so I guess If I did drive it, I would be subjected to impound/fines. I am just glad I don't have to pay for the regular registration before I move. I did have to pay $172 for my Scion though, because I might need that car for emergencies (I have 2 little kids) when the wife is not home.
Oh I see. Okay cuz I thought about going the non-op route with my turbo Z but the possibilities looked grim. I thought you discovered something new.

Why moving to Ohio? Work?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM
BornSlippyZ

Oh I see. Okay cuz I thought about going the non-op route with my turbo Z but the possibilities looked grim. I thought you discovered something new.

Why moving to Ohio? Work?
The wife is moving up the corp. ladder so this is the next step. I am actually looking forward to it for many reasons, one of them being no more **** smog laws.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Nismomonkey

I got one ticket in my Z for drifting through a U turn on a road where there was 0 cars in either direction for the entire time I was pulled over and before I did it. The cop wasn't even on the road. He was in a restaurant and just came out to pull me over, plus he probably got his meal for free since he had to respond to an "emergency". Guy was a dick. Cost me $375 for endangering myself on a wet road. Good thing they sent the points to the Cali DMV and I am not registered there nor am I licensed there.

When I sold my first Z though, it got towed across the country to its new house and it got me 3 toll tickets since the camera registered my Z on the trailer as a second car running the toll. Took forever to convince them that I couldn't possible be at work in California and running tolls in Wyoming at the same time.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
At our monthly meet we once had a Sheriff roll through our area and take a look at our cars, his only comment was "don't ever get married"

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Anyone know how much this ticket costs?

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
'If your going over 180 km/h the cops wont even try.' lol

I've been pulled over several times but no ticket. Most of the time it was my fault but I was lucky. One time when I had my JIC single, I got pulled over and the cop actually said "It sounded like you were going pretty fast"

I love the guys/gals on here who break the law and then blame the cop when they get a ticket. Ever heard of taking responsibility for your actions?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Slippy - Ohio is only about $70 to register - cheap compared to most.
I've been pulled over 3 times for speeding in 8 years. got off with a warning exactly one time. Highway Patrol here is pretty strict - they will allow about 10 over but anything beyond that I have never heard of someone getting off with a warning. County deputy let me off for 73 in a 55, Statie nailed me at 83 in a 55 coming around a blind curve on a local freeway, NC Statie got me leaving Fontana heading south on 28 for the same speed. Wasn't even during ZDayZ, was on my way to MB for a golf vacation. That one cost me about $350.00 - anything more than 20 over is mandatory court so had to get a lawyer or go back 3 weeks later. Quite a racket they run down there.
Never been pulled for any other reason though, so all my fault. No grudges.

Quick Reply: Experiences with Cops in the Z