MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Z's in the rain (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/561962-zs-in-the-rain.html)

terrasmak 10-22-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by harry350z (Post 9925071)
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled out of a hotel to drive back home, and TPMS lights up on the dash - I pulled in to a gas station and pumped up the tyres to over 35 psi. Drove over a couple of miles and TPMS switched off. :dunno:
My tyres are probably over-inflated and I need to check this again.

There a couple of things I follow on public roads - I give up well-before any mechanical disaster. I cannot believe what happened today for two reasons - the speed was way too low for me to have pushed the limits of tread and traction (I have over 8/32 tread still left on all of them) & secondly having driven the Z in the rain and at higher speeds I never felt the car literally being shaken like a rag-doll :eek:
On the other hand, it did rain today after quite some time, so I guess it just was the worst surface on offer. Either way I have learnt a lesson without having to wreck the Z - just chill. :D

Over inflated will raise your hydroplane speed, you probably hit a big oil spot. As mentioned, loss of mechanical grip, not hydroplane.

Nismo350z#0310 10-24-2012 04:15 AM

Threads title reminds me of..... Tears in the rain.

http://youtu.be/YOphFl88U-g

SQuaLZ 10-24-2012 04:34 AM

People are so quick to blame the car, but tires are a MAJOR factor when it comes to traction in all conditions.

My car is just fine in the snow with my snow tires and my car is just fine in the rain and dry with my KDW-2, however, when my potenza were nearly bald, it felt like my car was on ice in the rain. I had the same feeling in my civic, so it is about the tires, not the car.

Perhaps the biggest factor for the car itself is the power, as I have caught myself a few times going a little sideways, but that can be controlled with your right foot (I have a base so no traction control)

kingdom 10-24-2012 08:34 AM

I will admit that the Z has freaked me out a bit in the rain once and a while. But honestly, as everyone says, it is probably due to me pushing a little too much. Plus the traction control on the Z is a freakin wizard, always keeps the car in control even when the driver focks it up.

harry350z 10-24-2012 09:07 AM

Going back and thinking about it - The oil and water combination on roads (especially after rain that is just enough to coat the entire road surface) is just bad news for most cars. On dry surfaces the Z is boss.
Traction Control is so friggin' intuitive. Even when I careened off with the throttle being cut-off faster than I could re-act, it just helped a lot in steadying things - when I was almost headed side-ways :thumbup:
Noticed TCS kick in again when I floored it from a standing start, but I was kinda pissed as a t$rd in a Tuscon just pulled away in the left lane :icon17:

SQualZ is right - you can't entirely blame the car, and the tires are the only thing keeping you on (or off) the road. However with enough tread and traction left on my above average continental's, and low speed I smugly believed that I was covered. :rolleyes:

phased1 11-13-2012 09:26 PM

Was driving to work today in the rain got stuck on a super long and steep incline for a minute. Tires wouldn't grip the ground and I would do a burn out. After stalling once and 2 attempts later I finally got it. Been only driving manual for 2 months self taught so maybe just need more practice.

Nismo350z#0310 11-14-2012 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by phased1 (Post 9948899)
Was driving to work today in the rain got stuck on a super long and steep incline for a minute. Tires wouldn't grip the ground and I would do a burn out. After stalling once and 2 attempts later I finally got it. Been only driving manual for 2 months self taught so maybe just need more practice.

Because teenager.

As a side note, ordered Blade Runner this weekend online. Due in today. Pretty stocked.

harry350z 11-16-2012 03:50 PM

They should re-name on-ramps as death traps for 350z's. :mad:
With barely a touch of rain on the 101, accelerating up to 35mph(yea sad isn't it - I was trying to merge not be squished by a truck) the tyre caught a wet uneven bumpy surface on the on-ramp and violently shuddered for a fraction of a second. I don't recall why I was both smiling and paying obeisance to the big man upstairs at the same time.
I hate this car when it rains - PERIOD. On my way back took a right turn on to an on-ramp for 87 and the frigging slip light came on at oh 15 mph. Why does the Z behave like skates on ice? I have nearly 8/32 tread still left! :dunno:

mattleegee 11-16-2012 04:45 PM

tires

terrasmak 11-16-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by harry350z (Post 9952316)
They should re-name on-ramps as death traps for 350z's. :mad:
With barely a touch of rain on the 101, accelerating up to 35mph(yea sad isn't it - I was trying to merge not be squished by a truck) the tyre caught a wet uneven bumpy surface on the on-ramp and violently shuddered for a fraction of a second. I don't recall why I was both smiling and paying obeisance to the big man upstairs at the same time.
I hate this car when it rains - PERIOD. On my way back took a right turn on to an on-ramp for 87 and the frigging slip light came on at oh 15 mph. Why does the Z behave like skates on ice? I have nearly 8/32 tread still left! :dunno:

Alignment, tire pressure , amount of oil on your local roads, compound of asphalt of your local road, grooving of concrete of your local road. Damper setting and spring rate. Then many others.

mr. sparco 11-16-2012 08:20 PM

Chitty tires as most newbs don't give a crap about the type or brand they buy, or tires with no tread left.

taryon 11-16-2012 08:45 PM

Plenty of hydroplaning for my 265s during a 6 hour road trip today. Bad weather though

yogipower 11-16-2012 09:33 PM

don't blame on weather think about how many z sold in states.

Godzirrra922 11-18-2012 08:23 AM

Leave the traction control on, don't floor it, brake/shift like a sensible person driving (and not as though you're racing in F1) and...Viola! You've successfully driven your RWD sports car in the rain...don't be stupid, or is that asking too much?

rrz128 11-18-2012 01:21 PM

I hydroplaned a little on I-880 last night, but then again my tires are done for :/. the Z won't slide or anything if you drive it right and have good tires on

Bmurray350z 11-18-2012 01:38 PM

i noticed after my new wheels and wider tires i felt the rain getting under me last night.. although, i do need an alignment very bad.

Sap350z 11-19-2012 12:15 AM

Very simple, maintain your tires and adjust your speed for the current road conditions.

STL 350Z 11-24-2012 06:19 AM

Never had an issue in the rain...

WEARERAD1CAL 11-29-2012 12:09 PM

A lot of you guys are talking about people making mistakes when their car starts to slide, from my experience if you don't drive like an idiot you won't even need to know what to do when it slides. I've had my Z for a year now and it rains here quite a bit and haven't had a problem at all. Just gotta drive slower than normal.

Highway Riding 11-29-2012 12:46 PM

Driving in the rain is fun! Good seasonally related tires a must.