Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Coupe Vs. Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well heck yeah, I would love to go! Just tell me when.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
zeroaccessinc

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Convertible - Slower, automatic, looks like a grandma car. No thanks.

Coupe - Sporty, six speed manual, abundantly quicker, don't need to upgrade transmission when going to higher HP numbers.

COUPE FTW
Ill race my ZR vs your car for pinks... just so I can put in another motor...

6MT CD009 Stock... Even keep the top down for you too.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Okay ya'll crack me up! lol But I really appreciate the feedback I'm getting. As for the looks of the convertible, I have to agree with most of ya'll that it doesn't look to good!

Now as for the views....their aren't very many and the weather in Texas is crazy.

And I also my Z is a daily driver at the moment, so only using the top on days it feels good outside isn't really an option.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no reason for a guy to really have a convertible. I echo most sentiments already mentioned here that they tend to be effeminate, add weight, add additional mechanical issues, reduce structiral rigidity and also destroy the Z's beautiful lines.

Leave the 'look at me, i want the sun in my face and wind in my hair' to the girls with their ugly pringles/accordian roof line and stick with a hard top.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
There is no reason for a guy to really have a convertible. I echo most sentiments already mentioned here that they tend to be effeminate, add weight, add additional mechanical issues, reduce structiral rigidity and also destroy the Z's beautiful lines.

Leave the 'look at me, i want the sun in my face and wind in my hair' to the girls with their ugly pringles/accordian roof line and stick with a hard top.
I mean if I want the wind in my face all I got to do is roll the windows down!

I was just wondering about them in general, I just wanted to know other peoples opinion about them!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vert Z looks sexy in my books. Whatever floats your boat.

Manual / Coupe Z as better performing car? It's the driver, not the car.

That's all I can say.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 AM
oyealiz

I have, and love, a vert 6 spd. Those two options were non negotiable when I was looking for my Z.

I also own two other verts, have lived in TX for years, first in Houston then in Dallas, and don't get the "no verts in the heat" statements at all! Now...if it's over 100, the top does stay up!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Gunsmoke

When I was in the market for a Z, I was set on a hatch. All of them I found reasonably priced were either abused or really high mileage (i'm cheap and wanted a fixer upper). I accidentally stumbled on a '04 convertible that was in immaculate condition and beyond a steal. I planned on buying it and just selling it for profit and getting a hatch.

After getting the convertible, I was hooked. Some wont agree, but the convertible to me has great body lines and is really incredible. I'll most likely never sell it, going on 1 year of ownership and I'm the guy that sells swaps trades every couple months. Also seems older people tended to get the convertibles and they were less likely to be abused, and they may be serviced better (mine was a 1 owner and he was 74, lol).

I haven't had any top issues other than the normal tear that happens in some. I replaced the top and made sure all of the TSB items were in place and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). I use the top a lot (raise and lower) and it works great.

Only cons, Storage, but i didn't buy a Z to make trips to Lowe's, feed stores or Home Depot I have other vehicles for hauling things other than myself in.

I've driven and had many friends with the hatchback, the convertible is a head turner and you don't see as many of them. The convertible is about 200lbs heavier, but it is all in stiffening and I think this helps the car handle much tighter.

Plus when it does come to resale, like they say, "when the top goes down, the price goes up".
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Thank you for affirming my same points. It is obvious though, that the only people who attacked me were owners of the convertible. But I too would get defensive if someone said some negative comments so I apologize to anyone I offended. I think we can all agree we are here because of our love for the Z car.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I echo most sentiments already mentioned here that they tend to be effeminate, add weight, add additional mechanical issues, reduce structiral rigidity and also destroy the Z's beautiful lines.
Thank you for affirming my same points.
No, Blu's points were:
- tend to be effeminate [OPINION]
- add mechanical issues [TRUE FACT]
- reduce structural rigidity [TRUE FACT]
- destroys the Z's lines [OPINION]

Your points were:
- coupe is abundantly quicker [QUESTIONABLE FACT because of word "abundant"]
- convertible is automatic and coupe is manual [FALSE FACT]
- looks like a grandma car [OPINION]
- convertible has to have transmission upgrade for high HP while coupe does not [FALSE FACT]

The two items that I disagreed and called you out for were the two that I've marked above as FALSE FACT. People will have differing opinions because of personal perception (so there is no point arguing about someone's opinions), but facts are either true or false because they can be measured and proven.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 09-12-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
No, Blu's points were:
- tend to be effeminate [OPINION]
- add mechanical issues [TRUE FACT]
- reduce structural rigidity [TRUE FACT]
- destroys the Z's lines [OPINION]

Your points were:
- coupe is abundantly quicker [QUESTIONABLE FACT because of word "abundant"]
- convertible is automatic and coupe is manual [FALSE FACT]
- looks like a grandma car [OPINION]
- convertible has to have transmission upgrade for high HP while coupe does not [FALSE FACT]

The two items that I disagreed and called you out for were the two that I've marked above as FALSE FACT. People will have differing opinions because of personal perception (so there is no point arguing about someone's opinions), but facts are either true or false because they can be measured and proven.
Oh come on guy. Will you drop it? I have never known anyone who owned or have seen a manual convertible. I am obviously wrong in the point I said it would only be automatic, but I guarantee if you are buying a convertible you will more than likely only find a automatic as the manual are extremely rare. And an automatic WILL need a transmission upgrade for high powered FI applications. Are you going to argue me on these points????

As for Blu's points, he agreed on many of the points I had which include it being a female car, it being considerably more heavy, and also the chopped top is not paralleled to the coupes beautiful lines. We can assume by association that he will agree that because of it's weight it will be out performed by the coupe.

None the less, I don't have time for this Sparkling wiggle. I'm at work and extremely busy and arguing about petty differences on a forum is something that will get neither of us anywhere in life. Focker out.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 09-12-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Not to mention, a guy in a convertible just has a certain doucheyness about his look. Don't mistake this for me saying you are a douche for driving a vert, it just portrays doucheyness. More so when I see I guy driving a convertible BMW or Benz. Always with sunglasses, and a sort of smug expression with a slight $hit eating grin where you can tell he's thinking "look at all these people looking at me asking who's that cool dude in that cool ride". Z's not as much though, but the "attitude" of the coupe is still just better IMO.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I am obviously wrong in the point I said it would only be automatic,
Glad to see you finally acknowledging that you didn't know what you were talking about.

but I guarantee if you are buying a convertible you will more than likely only find a automatic as the manual are extremely rare.
Again, you're off base. The Z Roadster came standard every year as a 6MT. Automatic was a selectable option, but was not the standard. More vehicles were produced with the standard 6MT than automatic. Additionally, if you check CarMax, KBB, or any of the major used car sites - and you perform a search for 350Z Convertible, you will find that there are definitely more 6MT models than automatics. I haven't yet found the precise sales numbers comparing the percentage of vehicles chosen with Auto as a selectable option.

And an automatic WILL need a transmission upgrade for high powered FI applications. Are you going to argue me on these points????
Irrelevant and has nothing to do with advantages of a coupe vs convertible. That's like you pointing out that the sky is blue and asking me to argue that.

We can assume by association that he will agree that because of it's weight it will be out performed by the coupe.
Yes, there is a weight difference. I pointed that out myself and is not something that I've argued with you about. You continue to pull things into the discussion as if I'm disagreeing with what everyone else is saying. I've only disagreed with the items that I've pointed out in bold multiple times and you kept avoiding.

Here are the actual weight differences for each of the trims, showing their difference. It varies from 185-234 pounds depending on the trim/year:

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z
Curb Weight………………..Coupe………..Roadster…..Diff
03-05 Enthusiast………….3197………….3428………...231
03-05 Touring……………..3247………….3462………….185
06-08 Enthusiast…………3346…………..3580………...234
06-08 Touring……………..3400……….…3600………….200
06-08 Grand Trg……….…3404………….3602………….198

I think that I even pointed out that it is akin to a heavy guy riding in your passenger seat - not something that would be a noticeable change in performance to most butt dynos. So I'm not disagreeing that there is a difference, just that it's not a noticeable, big difference (in your words "abundantly faster").

I believe that a better argument than the weight would be the aero differences on high speed tracks, but that only really applies to dedicated track cars with skilled drivers. For 99% of the drivers on here, they aren't going to be at high enough speeds (or consistent enough with their driving) for it to be an impact on their lap times.

None the less, I don't have time for this Sparkling wiggle. I'm at work and extremely busy and arguing about petty differences on a forum is something that will get neither of us anywhere in life. Focker out.
Good, I'm getting tired of it as well. All I'm trying to do is share facts, having to be in the middle of an argument with you is a side effect of trying to share these truth/facts.

EDITED: And here's my olive branch. I'll find someone to let me borrow their ZR. We'll stick to no FI and just bolt ons, and I'll meet you at a track halfway between us. If you can beat my lap times, I'll shut up. Heck, we can even put money down to make it worth the trip.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 09-12-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Accept your defeat Nismo350z#0310
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Phenom
Not to mention, a guy in a convertible just has a certain doucheyness about his look.
Wow, I didn't realize that was the reason the ZR was such a good fit for me. Time to part out the coupe and buy another roadie.

-SparkleCityHop (douchey old guy, wearing sunglasses, with sheyite eating grin, and hot chick in the passenger seat)

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 09-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
F34RL355
Banned

u guys are funny, i still think the nismo looks like **** from the back, plus all the compartments behind the seats of the roadster store my hairs gels and cologne's perfectly! perfect when i want that douchbag look without messing up my hair due to roadster
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Nismo350z#0310

EDITED: And here's my olive branch. I'll find someone to let me borrow their ZR. We'll stick to no FI and just bolt ons, and I'll meet you at a track halfway between us. If you can beat my lap times, I'll shut up. Heck, we can even put money down to make it worth the trip.
Seeing I live in NC this is a possibility. Where would you like to meet? Better make it a good ZR though, I'm running a fairly respectable setup on an already great chassis'ed Nismo.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Yeah, can't end up out somewhere without my hair gel, cologne, or spray tan.

Another selling point -
The trunk of the roadster is also great to store bodies, drugs, etc. since cops can't see into the compartment through a window like the coupe/hatchback.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Seeing I live in NC this is a possibility. Where would you like to meet? Better make it a good ZR though, I'm running a fairly respectable setup on an already great chassis'ed Nismo.
Yeah, you're driving the abundantly faster coupe, so I'm really going to have to work for this win.

I think the logical selections would be CMP, Road Atlanta, or VIR. They're all in reasonable driving distance depending on the owner of the loaner roadster. I'll look at the track day schedules and see what options are available. What do you say we run for $4000 so it's worth it? The track day passes are gonna cost us $500-750 by themselves, so we might as well make the pot worth the costs (inspection, fluids, etc). Cash or certified funds put into escrow a week before the race to make sure that no one is going to back out and leave the other with the prep and track day costs.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Yeah, you're driving the abundantly faster coupe, so I'm really going to have to work for this win.

I think the logical selections would be CMP, Road Atlanta, or VIR. They're all in reasonable driving distance depending on the owner of the loaner roadster. I'll look at the track day schedules and see what options are available. What do you say we run for $4000 so it's worth it? The track day passes are gonna cost us $500-750 by themselves, so we might as well make the pot worth the costs (inspection, fluids, etc). Cash or certified funds put into escrow a week before the race to make sure that no one is going to back out and leave the other with the prep and track day costs.
Can we up the ante and add in that Veilside front bumper of yours? I've always wanted one of those things.

Quick Reply: Coupe Vs. Convertible