Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually put a child seat in the passenger seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
that is on either 04.5 or 06 and newer only

Damn #infofail
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Fairlady_Love

I have 97 Lexus ES300 I snatched up as a daily driver for $2500, and I get to keep my Z. My daughter is 5, and I have put her car seat in the front seat in the Z before and took her for two or three Sunday evening cruises in the car, but I would most definitely NOT recommend this car as your primary vehicle with a child. It is not practical with all the things you need to have with you when you have a kid. You could probably manage, but trust me, you want a bigger car.

As far as safety goes, personally, if the air bag is off and the child is properly restrained facing forward, I think the front is just as safe as a child seating on one side in the rear seat. Everything I see says for deaths to children in the front seat are due to three things: air bag, rear facing, or improperly restrained. I can't really think of anything in between the front seat and the rear seat that makes the rear seat more safe, but there could be something I am missing. I really think all the hype about the front being so dangerous is because of people not being smart and not putting their child in, OR not disabling the airbag. Just be smart and really pay attention to what you are doing and your child can be just as safe in the front. If the airbag can't turn off (with a switch, or a smart airbag), don't even think about it.

I don't want to claim to be an expert, because I am not. Like I said before, you will be much happier with a four door sedan with a decent back seat. Besides, the safest part of the car for a child is in the middle of the back seat. So get a safe beater, and keep the Z.

Last edited by Fairlady_Love; 02-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairlady_Love
I have 97 Lexus ES300 I snatched up as a daily driver for $2500, and I get to keep my Z. My daughter is 5, and I have put her car seat in the front seat in the Z before and took her for two or three Sunday evening cruises in the car, but I would most definitely NOT recommend this car as your primary vehicle with a child. It is not practical with all the things you need to have with you when you have a kid. You could probably manage, but trust me, you want a bigger car.

As far as safety goes, personally, if the air bag is off and the child is properly restrained facing forward, I think the front is just as safe as a child seating on one side in the rear seat. Everything I see says for deaths to children in the front seat are due to three things: air bag, rear facing, or improperly restrained. I can't really think of anything in between the front seat and the rear seat that makes the rear seat more safe, but there could be something I am missing. I really think all the hype about the front being so dangerous is because of people not being smart and not putting their child in, OR not disabling the airbag. Just be smart and really pay attention to what you are doing and your child can be just as safe in the front. If the airbag can't turn off (with a switch, or a smart airbag), don't even think about it.

I don't want to claim to be an expert, because I am not. Like I said before, you will be much happier with a four door sedan with a decent back seat. Besides, the safest part of the car for a child is in the middle of the back seat. So get a safe beater, and keep the Z.
Thanks for the feedback, It would be ideal for me to pick up a nice beater like you did on the cheap and then save up money for something I really want down the road. At this time looks like I will be getting rid of the Z because the wife refuses to have a third car even though we can easily afford it, I guess she wants the funds of my Z to go towards the new car we buy. It will be tough to get rid of the Z since I had an emotional attachment to it but I'll need to make this sacrifice.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you, but I did buy another vehicle. We use the 2011 KIA Sorento for the baby car. I drive a 2005 KIA Amanti for daily and the Z for fun. I don't feel comfortable having my small in in the Z at all. Oh yeah, my wife doesn't either... LOL.
But then three vehicles equal 3 insurances payments, 3 registration renewals, which I don't mine and a great piece of mind. It's all up to you.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Thanks for the feedback, It would be ideal for me to pick up a nice beater like you did on the cheap and then save up money for something I really want down the road. At this time looks like I will be getting rid of the Z because the wife refuses to have a third car even though we can easily afford it, I guess she wants the funds of my Z to go towards the new car we buy. It will be tough to get rid of the Z since I had an emotional attachment to it but I'll need to make this sacrifice.
you need to put the pants on just go but a nice beater and say tuff **** why can you just use her car ? does it only have 2 seats ?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
you need to put the pants on just go but a nice beater and say tuff **** why can you just use her car ? does it only have 2 seats ?
We have a Ford Edge but because now we are putting our child in day care since I get out of work alot earlier than her I need to pick him up and she drops him off in the morning. Trust me I have been battling my with her for days about just buying myself a beater and keeping the Z but she refuses to have a third car.