Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM
SV350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)

So I am pretty disappointed. I had finally ordered a JWT clutch/flywheel combo from ConceptZPerformance based on the positive comments here on the forums + the ads from the selling section.

The item arrived quickly, and it was well packed, wrapped and no way damaged so I passed it on to my mechanic. Since I was waiting on some other pieces like a TB , etc, he left the box sealed as did I.

Today the rest comes and I happily run to the mechanic at 9AM and tear the box open. He goes to make sure it fits, turns, looks and me and just kinda has a bland face. I thought it didnt fit and was like no way, so then he turns and shows me the clutch disk. It looks like it was run over by a tank.

I contacted the merchant, no reply yet. The real issue is ... my car is in Central America. I drove this clutch down myself. Now, I am not even sure what to do. If I need to get this back to USA for an exchange it's gonna cost me a fortune.

I am just amazed somebody could ship a clutch in this state. It is hand packed/shipped by them and it is clearly in horrible shape. I am not sure why they would send me this.

What do you guys think of these pics. This is not a complaint against them by the way just some venting, I am furious, waiting too long for my Z and now this.

JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)-oei6blm.jpg
JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)-1lyxqpk.jpg
JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)-tyr8v4a.jpg
JWT Clutch - Came in pieces (not literally)-cyxo7we.jpg
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Looks like it was dropped at some point.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 AM
SV350z

My thoughts exactly. Box is in good shape so no shipping damage, I unsealed it myself so I know the mechanic had nothing to do with it, plus, once they broke one of my headlights and purchase a new pair for me, so they wouldn't lie to me.

Pretty upsetting.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

that has to be pretty disappointing
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM
SV350z

Yep. I am disappointed and infuriated. I ordered around 17 different pieces for this vehicle including some VERY fragile body pieces and they came in perfect shape. The thing I expected to be least damaged is damaged.

Paypal told me just to chargeback, I use their debit card and they pretty much have a 100% award the buyer always policy, except, I feel bad doing that as I run a business too and chargebacks suck bad.

Going to try to give ConceptZ a chance to work this out but if they tell me to send it all back -- won't work, I am outside the country and it would cost more to send back then buy a new one so I will have to take the evil route. Sucks bad.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I just got the same clutch from conceptz the Nismo bearing was smashed they sent me a new one with out question so I wouldnt worry
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
SV350z

Joshua thanks for the info. I am not trying to blame conceptz. I am just a beeatch today because I have waited so long and happily. I think I may be dramatic with car stuff.

They don't work weekends I think so I will wait til monday to hear from them. I am sure they will work with me they have a good rep. Thanks for the reasuring info by the way.

Only the clutch disc is bad, so I am hoping they will just replace it, and wrap it with 9 tons of bubble wrap, even if I have to pay for it, in case maybe the mail service is to blame. Impossible to say but the box is in excellent shape so I think maybe a factory defect or something.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yea they didnt even ask for pics nothing said they would ship it out that day an got it 3 days later. now on a side not thmotorsports never going their again last nov ordered brake lines an test pipes told test pipes were on back order till the end off dec. no big winter car dosnt move brake lines came in a week. still no test pipes to this day the have told me every time i have called they will be shipped next day or in a week. still this day have not shipped now they are saying march 1 i better get them before spring is all i have to say.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pics show it all. Sounds to me like, I wouldn't buy from them anymore unless they own up and replace it for you. When I got my JWT Heavy Duty Clutch and light flywheel, they were perfect. And... I have not had a single issue, as I am running at 491 hp also in my S/C machine. That was the reason I got it and have been very pleased with it.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM
UIHawkeyeZ

Man what a bummer - sorry to see that happen, especially your circumstances for having to dealing with shipping it again. And I'm sure we've all been through some kind of waiting game to get our cars back on the road & it's a terrible feeling!

I was a little bit put off when my JWT Clutch/Flywheel combo came from them in a USPS Large flat rate shipper, but when I got it everything was very well wrapped & protected. I have since purchased a few more things from ConceptZ & have only had great experiences.

Their staff are forum members, if I remember right I have worked with Alex@CZP here on the forums?
I would feel confident they will stand by their product and make it right. Keep us filled in!

Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
SV350z

Thanks to you both.

UIHawkeyeZ - i have seen tons of good experiences with them on here hence why I went with them over the competition.

I want to kinda say maybe it got damaged in transit but the box is in great shape, no external damage or crushing and it was wrapped in protective plastic. Looks like maybe a defect,

Issue is... I would need a new one to be in California by Wednesday or it won't work for me.For that to happen they would have to do OVERNIGHT on Monday. I am going to talk to them on Monday and see if they are willing to replace it, if so will they overnight it to me at my own expense. It's alot to ask but it is the only way to fix my situation.

I will keep you all updated. Don't want anyone to think bad of them yet as I am just pist, they have not had a chance to see this / offer a solution as they probably don't work on weekends.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM
SV350z

Update:

ConceptZ responded. They say that the crack is not that uncommon because its organic. I know the peeling is fine but th crack is my worry. The concept z guys say it is fine and I can run it like that. My mechanic says no but he says he can have it fixed. He usually will do anything to penny pinch me so he may not be a good source.

Can you all comment? Do you think it's safe to run it like this (pics above)

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM
AngelsVQ

Originally Posted by SV350z
Update:

ConceptZ responded. They say that the crack is not that uncommon because its organic. I know the peeling is fine but th crack is my worry. The concept z guys say it is fine and I can run it like that. My mechanic says no but he says he can have it fixed. He usually will do anything to penny pinch me so he may not be a good source.

Can you all comment? Do you think it's safe to run it like this (pics above)

Thanks
honestly i have use a clutch chipped in a similar manner. i had no issues with it. but its up to you. organics do chip if mishandled
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would tell CZP that if you had wanted a damaged chipped clutch disc you would of bought a chipped disc... Chargeback time!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd want to get at least 30% of my money back before I accepted and installed the damaged disk. Expecting you to pay full price for damaged goods is just stupid on their part.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 AM
SV350z

Thanks all for the input.

I am still shaky about this. Really a huge problem since I am way too far away to ship this disc back / get a new one at the moment.

Where I am, the only option I would have is a stock disc, which seriously, I have just seen too many go out at 30k or less. It's a waste of money to put a new stock disc, I know if you baby it, they can "last" but they really are not a good choice.

In theory, this disc should run okay as there is a large portion of unaffected surface area. I would think sanding down any high spots, clipping fibers and it should be okay.

I am still just paranoid. If it was ANY OTHER time where I was in the USA at the moment, I would get this changed. But, i am not. I contacted my bank and they agreed to do a chargeback without return due to my situation and the state of the merchandise, but I don't want to go down that route as the merchant offered to send me a new disc, but thats not an option for me.

I am considering asking for some portion of a refund.

That being said.

Has anybody else here ever run a chipped/cracked disc? Is this going to hurt my 350z/shorten the life?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coz@CZP have great service, I'm sure he would help you out.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 AM
SV350z

@silvertouringz - they have been helpful so far. The issue is, I would need this think to be here overnight and I do not think they can do that. He seems to mention it will take some time to get me a new disc, which is not an option for me.

I can cover overnight shipping but, ... not sure if he has one. Going to ask.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Riley Cordova

Originally Posted by SV350z
Thanks all for the input.

I am still shaky about this. Really a huge problem since I am way too far away to ship this disc back / get a new one at the moment.

Where I am, the only option I would have is a stock disc, which seriously, I have just seen too many go out at 30k or less. It's a waste of money to put a new stock disc, I know if you baby it, they can "last" but they really are not a good choice.

In theory, this disc should run okay as there is a large portion of unaffected surface area. I would think sanding down any high spots, clipping fibers and it should be okay.

I am still just paranoid. If it was ANY OTHER time where I was in the USA at the moment, I would get this changed. But, i am not. I contacted my bank and they agreed to do a chargeback without return due to my situation and the state of the merchandise, but I don't want to go down that route as the merchant offered to send me a new disc, but thats not an option for me.

I am considering asking for some portion of a refund.

That being said.

Has anybody else here ever run a chipped/cracked disc? Is this going to hurt my 350z/shorten the life?
I am running a cracked disc right now, I've only had for about 3k miles so not much I can say, but I haven't noticed anything yet, hopefully I dont notice anything. good luck with it though, keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
SV350z

Riley - thank you very much!

I came to the conclusion that I probably could have run it, but I am paranoid. Plus my assistant drives the car every now and then (don't ask; we're friends) and well, he is not particularly light on my clutch.

All in all, I decided not to use it. ConceptZ was great and decided to comp me with a credit if I return the disk, they said they are going to use it in a High power track build.

I would have risked it but I am outside of USA and proper mechanics are hard to find as are parts, if something else went wrong as a result I'd be doomed. If I was home in the USA at the moment, I'd of run it.

I went ahead and used the JWT flywheel, etc though.

Went with a Nismo Clutch Disc that my mechanic got me. He got me a fair price. I am hoping to get my car back today.

They did some other work while in the shop too.