Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Z Buying Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Bayxlude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Buying Advice?

Hey everyone,

After two months of researching and deciding between cars, I'm ready to buy a Z! I just sold my 5th gen Prelude last week so now I'm looking to get a Z within the next month or so.

At first, I was looking for an automatic Z but I have decided against that and get a manual one instead. The only thing that was holding me back from getting stick was not knowing how to drive stick but my friend is nice enough to teach me this week.

I'd like to spend under $14,000 if possible with under 80,000 miles. I can't decide which year I should get or avoid but I've narrowed it down to 2005-2007. To stay within my budget, i'd have to get a 2007 with higher mileage.

I would really like to get a 2006 because of upgraded tail lights and headlights, but my worry is the oil consumption issue. I've read around on the site and it seems like it affects a decent amount of Z owners. Is this something I should be worried about?

Which year of the Z would be best to get? I'm really hoping to find a good deal on the 07 but I really wouldn't mind any of the other years.

I was reading about tranny issues on the 03/04. Is this problem solved in the 05 and up? How often do the manual transmission parts (clutch) have to be replaced? I've never owned a manual car before..

Is this a decent deal?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Last edited by Bayxlude; 03-14-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can find an '07 that's within your budget, get that one. The '07 and '08 coupes had the HR motor which is superior to the DE and Rev-Up.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 AM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bayxlude
I would really like to get a 2006 because of upgraded tail lights and headlights, but my worry is the oil consumption issue. I've read around on the site and it seems like it affects a decent amount of Z owners. Is this something I should be worried about?
Probably because it's only the people affected who post up about oil consumption issues and not the people who are not affected if you get what I mean
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 AM
DemandedAce

Oil consumption in the '06 is definitely something to be looking for, I'd recommend the '07 as well since they fixed the issue and have the nicer engine. I have the A/T '06 and love it, just got it back in August and never regretted it once so I know you won't either!

Also, the tail lights and headlights are definitely worth it, stay '06+ for sure IMO
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Bret86944

You can easily get 100k miles on a clutch. Obviously this depends on how the car was treated. But it's not something you will be changing regularly.

FYI it's a breath of fresh air to see someone budgeting and planning a purchase. You will thank yourself later.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice choice staying away from the automatic, manual is so much more fun despite what some people may complain about driving in traffic. Not all earlier models have transmissions problems, I have an 03 with about 26,000 miles now and it's fine. My cousin just bought an 04 with 125,000 miles for 6k and it runs without any issues despite it having high mileage. The HR is nice and slightly faster due to some updates and changes but I doubt you'll find an HR with low mileage in that budget range. I do recommend the VQ rev up models since you like the taillights so much but be warned, oil consumption is an issue. You must keep a close eye out for it. Not all rev ups have the problem and even if you do get a rev up with the problem make sure you maintain the car and get the issue worked out. What I noticed about the difference between the earlier models and the later ones is that the earlier ones feel more aggressive, brutal, and less forgiving than the later ones. The suspension feels more stiff, the clutch and gas feels more stiff and direct. I also like the exhaust tone of the earlier ones over the later ones, but the later HR models have nicer wheels, cooler looking taillights, and a slightly updated interior but still basically looks the same (which is a good thing).

Last edited by Jah70; 03-15-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
l2iceman

hey, I had a 5th gen prelude as well right before getting my current Z. I did quite a bit of research as well and this is my 2nd Z(first was a 2003 Track). I would say look for a 2004.5+ within your budget, since the headlights and taillights are an easy upgrade. I'd be more focused on the vehicle's condition rather than the year. The 2004.5 supposedly fixed most issues common on 2003 models, although my first Z did not have any of the common issues aside from rear axle clicking. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Bayxlude

Awesome advice so far! I could see what you guys mean by not worrying about the upgraded tail lights and headlights so much and worry about the mechanical reliability of the car instead.

I know it's impossible to not encounter lemons and that any Z's reliability mainly has to do with how the previous owner took care of it but what years do you guys recommend?

Would it be advisable to get an inspection done by Nissan if I find a car I like? Is there some sort of buyer's inspection guide that I could refer to before looking at a Z?

I'm going to be learning stick sometime this weekend. I'm pretty excited because I've always wanted a car in stick.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Destroyeron

Bought an 07 Enthusiast with the typical interior/paint problems with 50k for 14. Just keep looking.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 PM
BrickyardZ2003

I can tell you that the 07-08 would be the BEST buy, if you can find one within your budget. In my area there was absolutely nothing, and I waited around 6 months or so. While I doubt it will sway your opinion on 03/04's, I can tell you mine just hit 90k this week, and my transmission shifts flawlessly. No hangups or grinds in any gear. The clutch is also the original clutch, with no slipping at all. I had issues with one of my TPMS sensors, so I replaced that. My ECU went bad out of nowhere (car ran fine, but one of the O2 sensor's readings was so off, it threw a CEL 24/7), but I got lucky as a friend had a wrecked Z on his lot same year and trim as mine, so I got a free ECU to fix that. Other than that, I've had to change the oil and that's it. I bought it 2 years ago with ~60k on it. Happy shopping! Take your time, because while you think you stumbled on the best deal ever, something better will pop up without fail haha.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Bayxlude

Great advice from everyone.. I'm definitely open to all years for the most part since it seems like most of you aren't encountering issues that aren't related to the year. I think I'm going to be open to getting one as far as LA (I live in SF) if I run across a good deal. I'm looking around my area and there aren't too many good ones as of late..
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
FlamesOFDarknes

Buy what you think you want.