Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why fully depress clutch during shift?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
On a hot day, with a little hydraulic fluid expansion, some Zs have had the pedal stick in the down position, there a few causes for this, but the fact that the diaphragm spring comes close to an over-center situation contributes to this malady.
have you guys fixed this? i havent gotten to it yet but i plan on it. the threads about it all start talking about new assemblies and junk. theres gotta be a simpler fix like different fluid. sorry a little OT.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 AM
PikachuZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because the length of my clutch pedal movement is super small now with new clutch lol sorry for no help answer lol
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 AM
kingdom

I have the RJM adjustable clutch pedal, and after reading this thread im going to go home and adjust it.... When I first put it on, I had the clutch friction point about the same as stock. Then over time adjusted it lower and lower to the floor. This was based off preference but now im afraid it may be too low.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Bmcmvox, Go7roo7, et al, there is a little skill and experience involved here. You must learn where the complete disengagement point is and be able to push the clutch pedal just a bit past that point on a repeatable basis. (Obviously if you don’t push it far enough the gears will protest) If you feel safer bottoming out the pedal with every shift though, go for it.

Winchman you’re reaching pretty hard here to find some possible theory to prove a point. I doubt you’ve actually seen any measurements on this. In practice, the pressure plate can only travel a set amount to where diaphragm spring flattens out and approaches the over-centering region. At this point the spring/fulcrum geometry changes and that extra push on the pedal doesn’t do much. On a hot day, with a little hydraulic fluid expansion, some Zs have had the pedal stick in the down position, there a few causes for this, but the fact that the diaphragm spring comes close to an over-center situation contributes to this malady.

I’m not an auto technician or engineer, or even a fan of working on cars. I was my dad’s conscripted helper though, when he adapted all new transmission internals and clutch operating linkage (including mapping out the clutch and pedal link geometry for my first sports car. Vintage MGB’s didn’t feature any synchromesh for first gear. He machined and installed one, as well as modernizing the others.

The last inches of pedal travel on a Z don’t actually provide much extra plate movement. Drag racers have actually measured the travel and have installed pedal stops to provide faster and more precise gear shifting without damaging anything. RJM performance, a vender here, makes and sells a adjustable pedal bracket that lets you dial in this and more. It greatly improving the clutch action, and by extension also the shifting action, I think it has received great reviews.
Yeah I am aware one can shift w/o pressing the clutch at all. My dad showed me this in my old Altima which was a beater mostly. Like you said the risk/wear outweighs the cool factor of clutchless shifting lol. That same thing with me, I learned about cars by helping my dad fix em + later on, learning on my own. I usually press the clutch until the last 2-ish inches before bottoming out the clutch. I blew a clutch line once on the altima when I pressed the clutch and felt a really insane level of resistance. Granted I was stupid and slammed on the clutch, POP goes the line. Never found out what caused that... : /
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 AM
bmcmvox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin60222
How long have you been driving stick?
4 months or so On and off.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 AM
bmcmvox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingdom
I have the RJM adjustable clutch pedal, and after reading this thread im going to go home and adjust it.... When I first put it on, I had the clutch friction point about the same as stock. Then over time adjusted it lower and lower to the floor. This was based off preference but now im afraid it may be too low.
Yeah, they are on sale now too. Was eyeballing them yesterday. Problem is, install looks a little intense judging by their pics. I am a little hesitant to bite off more than I can chew.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcmvox
Yeah, they are on sale now too. Was eyeballing them yesterday. Problem is, install looks a little intense judging by their pics. I am a little hesitant to bite off more than I can chew.
I personally haven't done it, but from what I've heard it isn't too difficult.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
logan09

^ it really isn't difficult at all. It took me maybe two and a half hours to install and I did it reading the pdf off of my phone. The most challenging part is hanging upside down under the dash hanging halfway out the car.